Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2023, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
It's a new street/trail bike and I couldn't wait to ride it, so I hadn't licensed it yet
I understand that Michael. With adulthood come certain responsibilities, such as following through with licensing and insuring a motor vehicle.

You still haven’t been clear about why you were arrested. As I mentioned, West Virginia is part of the United States, and everyone has unalienable Constitutional rights, which cannot be infringed.

I find it difficult to believe that a West Virginia state trooper would haul anyone off to jail without cause. It wouldn’t reflect well on his professional reputation, and the prosecuting attorney can’t have law enforcement officers dragging random individuals to jail on frivolous charges.

So what are the charges?

Operation of an unlicensed and uninsured motor vehicle isn’t a jailable offense in any jurisdiction.

05-23-2023, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a new street/trail bike and I couldn't wait to ride it, so I hadn't licensed it yet
You should probably have waited....
05-23-2023, 08:36 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought a new Yamaha xt250 street and trail and couldn't wait to ride it, unfortunately before I licensed it. I'm a bit manic now, which didn't help - my shrink is trying to level me off, but that's another story.

Could it be that you're actually more manic at the moment than you think you are?

I've got a lifetime's personal experience of the disastrous things that we can do when we're manic (I'm bipolar), and the actions that you describe in your original post do sound possibly hypomanic or even manic.
05-23-2023, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Could it be that you're actually more manic at the moment than you think you are?

I've got a lifetime's personal experience of the disastrous things that we can do when we're manic (I'm bipolar), and the actions that you describe in your original post do sound possibly hypomanic or even manic.
I hope that writing this thread is helping him process things. He acknowledged his manic behaviour in the OP.
Our life experience lets us know there are some gaps to be filled in.

05-23-2023, 07:02 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want to throw a legal problem i have out to the pentax community and get your opinion.

Moderator, sorry I thought I put this in General Talk, not gen. photog., please move it.

Well, I'm now a common criminal
I bought a new Yamaha xt250 street and trail and couldn't wait to ride it, unfortunately before I licensed it. I'm a bit manic now, which didn't help - my shrink is trying to level me off, but that's another story.

Well, a W.V. State Trooper was called because I was fishing on a state stream/federal stream. The trooper made me leave because the trooper agreed with the man that I couldn't park my motorcycle close to the flood plain of the creek, which I've been told by one West Virginian, the Flood Plane is even apart of the stream - I dunno. The man actually gave me permission to park there 3 days ago, but him and his neighbor changed their mind when I came back "too soon."

Well I left on the motorcycle with no license and the Trooper didn't persue me; however, my mp3 blew off and I noticed that and did a U turn to go bACK AND find it. Sorry I hit the caps lock key cause half my pinky is numb via a pinched nerve. Anyways I seen the mp3 player and did another U turn to the very end of a private mans drivceway, whom was outside at the moment and said it's fine for me to park my bike there and pick it up. I actually think the stATE RoAD Here does extend an additional 10 feet on both sides of the white lines of the road - if so, I have no case.

I can't remember if the state trooper seen me do that last u turn into the driveway - I surely would have seen him during the first half of the u turn!. Any ways, he pulled up on me flashing and siren and arrested me for riding the motorcycle on the road. The only thing I can add is that farm use is ok for vehicles carrying "herderd animals." Well, I'm a Scientist (visit my science page at www.piziak.com). Believe it or not I had vials of different fruit flies in my bag on my rack (modern genetics is based on crossing fruit flies. Also, I had a few fish I caught in the bag. Aren't these "herded animals" ? LOL! Well, biologically they are in the animal kingdom.

Also, WV code says a motorcycle that has its engine off coasting or parked is considered a bicycle and not a motor vehicle. I actually can't remember if I turned it off as soon as the trooper pulled up on me or not, but either he or i turned it off & he gave keys to tow truck. I guess I need to see the police report and any video he may have made and talk to the private citizen that owned the driveway. There may not be enough info. here to determine anything.

Regardless though, perhaps my best shot of getting off with a high dollar lawyer is the motorcycle was assumed to be given permission off the road at the end part of the citizens driveway..

I'm going to police station now to get my i.d. and cell phone that he didn't turn over to the jail. I'll ask for the report and a copy of any video - I wander if that's another charge.

Anyways this cost me 2 nights in jail, $325 bonded out (a $3,000 bond), and a $156 tow truck/storage fee to get my cycle back (or is it a farm vehicle or was it a bicycle) - one has to laugh at the things I come up with sooner or later !!!

I

Michael Piziak

Here is a WV news story of interest about what I typed too: ATVs now allowed to drive on W.Va. roads
A sad sequence of events, Michael, you have our sympathies.

I think get whichever lawyer to ring the shrink, and regard favourably their resulting advice, which will be all about minimizing the legal fallout, because it's not an added stress factor you need in your life, I reckon. You want to get back to peacefully fishing, riding and being scientific!

I think best not to try everything yourself, I forget whoever it was that said, 'He who represents himself [in court] is represented by a fool'.

Take care!
05-23-2023, 07:26 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
. . . I forget whoever it was that said, 'He who represents himself [in court] is represented by a fool'.

Take care!
the saying is

A lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client
05-23-2023, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the saying is

A lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client
I like your version better, Allen!

05-24-2023, 05:47 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the difference being that even one specicificly trained shoud not do it alone without aid

however there is this

" physician, heal thyself "

but that actually means something different all together
05-25-2023, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the difference being that even one specicificly trained shoud not do it alone without aid

however there is this

" physician, heal thyself "

but that actually means something different all together
I have actually heard the same saying about doctors: "The doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient." -- William Osler

Obviously the physician heal thyself is probably more of a reference to the idea that if you haven't been able to find a cure for something for yourself, then you probably won't be able to assist other people in the same area.
05-25-2023, 05:19 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . .Obviously the physician heal thyself is probably more of a reference to the idea that if you haven't been able to find a cure for something for yourself, then you probably won't be able to assist other people in the same area.
Not close

Physician, heal thyself

A biblical proverb meaning that people should take care of their own defects and not just correct the faults of others. According to the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, Jesus said he expected to hear this proverb from the people of his hometown of Nazareth, because they would want him to work miracles there, as he had in other towns nearby. But he “did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.”

Physician, heal thyself Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

Physician, heal thyself (Greek: Ἰατρέ, θεράπευσον σεαυτόν, Iatre, therapeuson seauton), sometimes quoted in the Latin form, Medice, cura te ipsum, is an ancient proverb appearing in Luke 4:23.
05-25-2023, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not close

Physician, heal thyself

A biblical proverb meaning that people should take care of their own defects and not just correct the faults of others. According to the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, Jesus said he expected to hear this proverb from the people of his hometown of Nazareth, because they would want him to work miracles there, as he had in other towns nearby. But he “did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.”

Physician, heal thyself Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
I think we are saying the same thing -- at least that is what I intended to say. A markedly obese doctor has a hard time lecturing patients on the benefits of weight loss. The things he says are true but the fact that he hasn't applied them to his own life makes the messenger suspect.

Maybe a parallel Bible concept is that of "Removing the beam in your eye before you attempt to remove the splinter in your brother's eye."
05-25-2023, 06:53 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think we are saying the same thing -- at least that is what I intended to say. A markedly obese doctor has a hard time lecturing patients on the benefits of weight loss. The things he says are true but the fact that he hasn't applied them to his own life makes the messenger suspect.

Maybe a parallel Bible concept is that of "Removing the beam in your eye before you attempt to remove the splinter in your brother's eye."
I agree
05-25-2023, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

How does "do what I say, not as I do" dovetail into this?
05-25-2023, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How does "do what I say, not as I do" dovetail into this?
It probably falls somewhere on the spectrum.

I do think that parents, in particular, struggle with this. A dad who is an alcoholic can tell his kids, "Don't touch alcohol, it has destroyed my life," even as he holds the very drink that is killing him. When you want the best for someone, you can tell them not to make the same mistakes that you did. The problem is that your kids often won't hear the message if your life contradicts it. As they say, "More's caught than taught."

I think the focus here though is on judging other people with a measuring stick that your aren't willing to be judged with.
05-25-2023, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Back to the topic, although much of the detail is unclear, and we still don’t know what the charges are, I do hope that Michael is able to resolve is troubles with the courts.