You do the time.'

05-27-2023, 01:27 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
To me, the equation is quite simple :

'You did the crime -

You do the time.'

Although thankfully in many countries mitigating circumstances are taken into account when it comes to sentencing. We don't know all the facts about this particular incident, but reading between the lines of the original post suggests that there might indeed be mitigating factors involved.

It can feel satisfying to pronounce moral judgment on people, but personally I'd prefer to wait until I know the full story.
05-28-2023, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
With all due respect

The worst place to get legal advice is on the internet

Consult a local attorney

BTW I have been a licensed attorney since 1982
Agreed! Getting "legal" advice or medical advice on the internet is very foolish.
05-28-2023, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Originally posted by Michael Piziak*
It's a new street/trail bike and I couldn't wait to ride it, so I hadn't licensed it yet
That was your first mistake; if you had time to ride it, you had time to license it.

I'm very sorry for all your troubles with this; but something other than what you've told us, caused the jail time. Just hope you can get it sorted out; please keep us updated.

05-28-2023, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Agreed! Getting "legal" advice or medical advice on the internet is very foolish.
" Free legal advice " is usually as good as what you paid for it

Nothing
05-28-2023, 11:32 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Although thankfully in many countries mitigating circumstances are taken into account when it comes to sentencing. We don't know all the facts about this particular incident, but reading between the lines of the original post suggests that there might indeed be mitigating factors involved.

It can feel satisfying to pronounce moral judgment on people, but personally I'd prefer to wait until I know the full story.
I do take your point, but there are also the wider ramifications of this incident. The law exists for the protection of all, and has to take circumstances into consideration. What if an accident had occurred, and a child had been injured or killed ? I feel that in that case the OP would receive far less sympathy. Hypothetical, I know, but something that would be covered by the legislation.

Incidentally, I do not feel that motor vehicles should be sold until the prospective purchaser can produce evidence of the possession of a licence permitting him to operate the vehicle. The onus should be on the seller to obtain this proof, and submit it, with the purchaser's identification, to the relevant licensing body, before permitting the vehicle to be used.
05-28-2023, 03:07 PM - 4 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we all wish Michael the best in dealing with the incident he shared with us. He has has some good advice about consulting a lawyer directly.