Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dexter - TV Episode Downloads

For xmas we received Season I and Season II DVD of the Showtime series Dexter. Without getting into it in any details , both the wife and I really enjoy the show.

Now the problem is Season III already has 7 episodes aired. We do get the series on one of the movie channels that pick up the Showtime series so we can watch the last 5 episodes on the TV.

What I am looking for is a good site for TV episode downloads. I know I can use bit torrent P2P sites and may go that route. I have no problem paying for a service as it will allow other movie and TV downloads. I hate having to install several applications / toolbars and god knows what else with most of these P2P sites.

My problem is most of the paid sites don't let you search before you pay. Like I said if I had to pay $30 or $40 to get to a site when I can have fast downloads to good quality files I have no problem with that. Also google research shows as many this site is great as this site is a scam reviews .....

So I guess I am asking if anyone here has signed up for such a service (tv / movie download service) , what service was it and what is you experience ? I am open to P2P bit torrent as well what is the best site ?

Thanks in Advance!

01-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

if you're not always concerned about the specific legalities these sites work well Mininova : The ultimate BitTorrent source! and Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The world's largest BitTorrent tracker
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another problem I find with bitTorrent sites is it sooooooooo slow ...hours and hours to download one episode ... looks at tweaks and such and nothing seems to help ..
01-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A lot of networks have programs streaming on their websites (or services like Hulu or Joost), not sure about Showtime. If you have cable and subscribe to Showtime they might have an on demand option. I don't think Showtime sells on iTunes, but that is another legal option.

01-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

just wrong

downloading programs .... the quality of the program is the biggest problem, IPOD quality is close t a normal TV, but not all that clear, plus still, the files are huge. but if you want a service that allows you to watch programs and save them, what not subscribe to showtime, have a DVR that is not TIVO but compatible with windows to save the files, like win XP media edition. you can record the program, save it, burn to DVD, and pay usually about $10 a month for service. on the other hand if you like watch once and not again, but want to watch a few movies a months, as long as you have at least a DSL service provider, netflix offers 3 movies a week, plus 17 hours of over the net for movies on demand. if you are like me, I like spike network for manswers, I can watch full shows, streaming for free... as long as you watch a commercial for 20 seconds 3 times per episode. if you are really cheap, sign up for hulu.com, it is free, and you can watch older movies and recent shows, streaming, and you watch a commercial a time or few as well. like fox network, fox.com also offers streaming shows. all of which are high quality for a 1.5 MB connection (150 KBPS) if nothing else, watch the programs when they air, record on a old VCR or a modern DVD recorder.
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions unfortunately I am in Canada and bound by the CRTC regulations which clearly defines you can subscribe to any channel you like as long as the government allows you to.

We get some series and shows from HBO, SHOWTIME,etc but cannot subscribe to them outright. (Least not legally kind of thing).

It's a crock but the intent is honourable (protect Canadian content).

My problem is I have missed the frst 7 eposisdes already - hate to start watching episode 8

Still hunting for the definitive solution (show time web site was first place I went to - hoping to ppay for it - I will look at itunes not sure but I think you are right no Showtime )

May have to wait until next xmas and buy Season III sheeeeeeeesh ....

Last edited by daacon; 01-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

all of Season 3 has aired already.

01-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

bittorrent works great, i use Torrent - The Lightweight and Efficient BitTorrent Client, it's a small client and is fast. perhaps your router hasn't been configured for UPnP which allows the program to open the necessary ports to speed up bittorrent
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
For xmas we received Season I and Season II DVD of the Showtime series Dexter. Without getting into it in any details , both the wife and I really enjoy the show.

Now the problem is Season III already has 7 episodes aired. We do get the series on one of the movie channels that pick up the Showtime series so we can watch the last 5 episodes on the TV.

What I am looking for is a good site for TV episode downloads. I know I can use bit torrent P2P sites and may go that route. I have no problem paying for a service as it will allow other movie and TV downloads. I hate having to install several applications / toolbars and god knows what else with most of these P2P sites.

My problem is most of the paid sites don't let you search before you pay. Like I said if I had to pay $30 or $40 to get to a site when I can have fast downloads to good quality files I have no problem with that. Also google research shows as many this site is great as this site is a scam reviews .....

So I guess I am asking if anyone here has signed up for such a service (tv / movie download service) , what service was it and what is you experience ? I am open to P2P bit torrent as well what is the best site ?

Thanks in Advance!
season 3 ended a few weeks back actually. Go to mininova.org or btjunkie.org and just download from there.
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you just wanna catch up...but i hope your PC is hooked up to a 52 screen?

you can resize the window (don't know what quality is like on a 52" screen ) ...enjoy

Dexter - TV Shack