Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #1

Microstock.....

Anybody sell thier stuff on a microstock site? I've been thinking about doing it, but was curious about how much it's really worth doing...any help would be appreciated, thanks....

01-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pardon the ignorance, but.. a what site?
01-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Like one of those stock sites, one is called microstock.com. You can post your photo's there, and they pay you like, 25 cents everytime it's downloaded from an advertising agency. I guess some people call them stock sites....
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, I see. Thank you for clearing that up.

The way I see it, you need to have a lot of determination to start selling stock photography via stock sites. You have to upload hundreds, if not thousands of images of very different types so you'll have the best chance of having what agencies need. They also need to be good pictures.

Assuming you have that, suppose you sell 10/month. If you're relatively unknown, it's not bad at all! Keep in mind, though, that it may very well take 2 years for others to become aware of your work.

25c * 10 = $2.5

So $2.5/month. Worth all the hassle?

01-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
ahha, I see...Well, then what might be a good way to start selling some stuff..Pbase or something of the like???
01-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #6

i think a microstock site would be really cool. I sure don't know much about them YET. It would seem like a neat way to hone one's skill in a certain "genre".
01-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Warning:

I believe there is a big heated debate about what is the best kind of stock agency to use. Some say that microstock is ripping off the photographer while others like it.

I don't know the whole debate because I try to steer clear of internet chat-fights....

just so you guys know, there could be some heat coming up in this thread.

peace.

mitch.

01-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

All depends on what you want to get out of the images you are producing. There are arguments over amateur versus professional tags and defending the value of images and the honour of the profession yadda yadda but...

Scenario 1: You want to earn a bit of money for your hobby-stick em on microsites and you earn a bit of money - I have heard of people earning enough to buy more gear from their royalties...

Scenario 2: You want to earn enough money to eventually heavily subsidise if not replace your daily job. Microsites will not earn enough and will also remove the 'exclusivity' of any image loaded to it that you may wish to sell on a genuine stock site and devalue the earning power of your portfolio. As pointed out above you will not start earning immediately and it will take time to build your collection but the stock sites will earn you three figure sums plus for your images.

Where do you want to go with your photography????
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Some say that microstock is ripping off the photographer while others like it.
Whatever. The photographer knows the rules before he enters the game. Maybe he'll upload 1000 images and not get a single download for all his blood, sweat and tears, but then again, maybe he'll get lucky and upload one that gets 1000 downloads right away.

You decide if it's worth it. Me, I reckon I'll possibly try it out in the future because I think it's fun taking pictures of stuff, and if it brings in a little extra income, there's no harm in that.