Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

frame or no frame?

i'm trying to turn my house into a gallery, but it's really becoming a pain. to sum up, i hate frames. i spent more time driving my brain crazy thinking about matte or no matte than a chick does deciding on which dress to wear to prom. black or natural color? contemporary or fancy? matte or no matte? it's really quit aggravating, a bit like me in this post :P

ok but seriously now, how do you guys show off your prints? what size do you print? matte or no matte? what style and color of frame? or no frame and just hang a matte? i'd really value all your opinions because my brain is fried

Last edited by pete_pf; 01-05-2009 at 05:55 PM.
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mounting/framing Prints

I know exactly where you are coming from.
I have just completed a Gallery exhibition of approx 35 photos, all mounted an framed, shown in a public gallery. However, all of it can try ones patience and determination sometimes.
Mats? yes I use them on all my framed shots. usually black frame with white mount.
A couple of exceptions where I used different coloured mounts/frames. Woodgrain varnished frames do present rather well with certain prints.
I have been doing some mat cutting myself, with rather pleasing success, after early frustrations.

I think your photos would present better in frames and mounts, if you have the inclination, but when it comes down to it, its a personal preference thing really.

#PS : pleased to say my exhibition was a success with sales of 10 large prints and several follow up enquiries.
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I've standardized on two sizes for my photos - 11x17 and 8x12, which means standard frame sizes of 16x20 and 11x14. I use white mats and matte black metal frames. KISS.
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
is it matte? mat? or mount? lol

one more addition to this. when you use 'mounts', how wide? wiser to do a thicker mount and a smaller frame? or vice versa?

thin:

or thicker?

this kind of thinking is why i spent half an hour looking at frames today and purchased nothing lol

01-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Damn Brit

I would say usually a narrow mat for larger pictures and wider for small pictures but there's always going to be exceptions.
If you are going to frame pictures you ought to mat them as it is the mat that is going to protect the picture from the glass of the frame.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
is it matte? mat? or mount?
Matte is a finish, so it is "mat." A mount is the mount used to mount the photo, which strictly speaking has nothing to do with the mat. A mount, for example would be a "dry mount" or a "hinged mount," etc.

I enter a lot of contests and fairs. Around here, and a lot of other places, they use a format that they call "Salon Prints." More often than not they specify a salon print must be mounted in some fashion on (or behind) a 16x20 (inches) mat.

Typically people mount 8x10's to this size mat, either directly on top of the mat material or behind a window cut in the mat. In the latter case, that means using foam board to mount the photo, then the mat with window on top. In essence both the mat and the photo use a 4x5 aspect ratio. This seems to appeal to people sense of order.

I personally really like the look of an 8x12 mounted on a 16x20 mat, so this is what * I * use. The 8x12 is the "natural" size of a digital frame, and I am careful to maintain this 2x3 aspect ratio even when cropping. It loos very good mounted on a large 16x20 mat.

I mount using dry mounting typically. I always use an acid free mount board chiefly because it just is not that much more expensive. I mount behind a cut in window on the mat. As Gary notes, this is because it sets up a buffer that keeps the photo off the glass... which ALWAYS leads to issues. I usually use white or black mats, but sometimes colors. Color landscapes/fauna are often enhanced by colored mats, whereas B&W portraits often look good in black; B&W landscapes are often well suited for a white mat - sometime black.

I usually do not immediately place my mounted and matted prints in a frame right away, but show them first in whatever show they are going to be in. After they come back to me, I mount them in a very simple black wooden frame designed for 16x20. I finish the job by applying a proper back using backing paper, usually in black. This seals the installation and keeps dust from finding its way into the installation, while still allowing it to breath in different conditions.

As far as special materials, my photo paper is always archival, but if the print is something I really want to hang for a very extended period of time, I use an acid free hinge instead of dry mount and an archival quality acid free mat. I top that off with UV glass, and basically this yields a print that can be hung on the wall without much thought for loss due to fading.

>> i spent more time driving my brain crazy thinking about matte or no matte
>> than a chick does deciding on which dress to wear to prom.

Sexist and demeaning comparisons aside, there is something to be said for making measured decisions and taking an appropriate amount of time to implement the same, especially where aesthetics are concerned.

Hope this helps.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 01-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
BPT
Veteran Member

I generally like a thinner mat, matte finish on the photo and anti-glare glass. For me the mat serves the purpose of separating the photo from the frame and it also keeps the glass from touching the photo.

Note: I have only built half a dozen frames so I am not incredibly experienced.

01-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photographs should be framed for protection and visual isolation from other photographs. In general, and based on exhibitions I have visited or participated in, here is what I would recommend:

1) Photographs must be mounted on acid-free backmat (I use black 5mm foam board) using safe (acid free) methods (I use 3M spray or two-sided acid free Scotch tape);

2) Photographs should be under glass to protect the surface from air and airborne pollutants which may damage prints (especially ink-jet) or cause paper "yellowing". IMPORTANT: Contrary to what we often see, a photograph MUST NEVER TOUCH the glass or it will over time stick to it, hence you'll need a window mat;

3) Window mat should be white or black, smooth matte surface. I prefer white window mat and photograph NOT to go under a window mat, but to have small "border" around it and having window mat "frame" it;

4) Simple and narrow black frame works the best with wide window mat, or wider frame with narrower window mat;

5) I prefer to hang photographs "flat" on the wall (not leaning forward);

6) Finally, don't make all photographs the same size with exactly the same frame size. They will look more interesting with different sizes and various arrangements.

Have a look here for a few more details on framing:

REDIMAT | Anatomy of a Frame, Fine Art Preservation, Frames, Picture Framing, Matting
Why go in for custom framing of Art?
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
i'm trying to turn my house into a gallery, but it's really becoming a pain. to sum up, i hate frames. i spent more time driving my brain crazy thinking about matte or no matte than a chick does deciding on which dress to wear to prom. black or natural color? contemporary or fancy? matte or no matte? it's really quit aggravating, a bit like me in this post :P

ok but seriously now, how do you guys show off your prints? what size do you print? matte or no matte? what style and color of frame? or no frame and just hang a matte? i'd really value all your opinions because my brain is fried
I do mine mounted, matted and framed as much as possible, though lately that has been slipping a bit.
I just like the look of it better, I think it has more of an art gallery look to it.
01-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I print mostly 4 x 6 (no larger than 4 x 8 possible with my Selphy 400 dye-sub)and stick them on the white wall at my work with push pins, or staples. I try to cover the holes left by missing shelf brackets.

Hope that helps :-)