Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at my earlier post in this thread (on the first page), please.

Running this forum is not my full-time job, nor do I get paid for it, or get money for being here. As much as I love working on this site, and will continue doing it, the volume and nature of recent complaints is annoying me a bit. In the past things in the marketplace may have slipped past me and others, yet we're trying to minimize this by having a larger group of moderators available.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have a look at my earlier post in this thread (on the first page), please.

Running this forum is not my full-time job, nor do I get paid for it, or get money for being here. As much as I love working on this site, and will continue doing it, the volume and nature of recent complaints is annoying me a bit. In the past things in the marketplace may have slipped past me and others, yet we're trying to minimize this by having a larger group of moderators available.
I did read your post on the first page before I made my post.

Thanks for your response.
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
What I find interesting about this entire situation is...

Several months back there were, at least, two members who had bought quite a few AF360FGC flash guns from Circuit City at close out pricing and come directly here and resold those flash guns.

I don't recall ever seeing any of their offerings deleted or either of them taken to task by the mods or administrator.
Was one of them this one?

QuoteQuote:
And, there is another regular, possibly two, in the market place who, IMO, it's very obvious is in the business of buying and selling photo gear and uses this forum free of charge to conduct his business. I've never seen any of his posts deleted.
Every time I stumble into the Marketplace I seem to see lots of names I never notice participating in discussions.
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

As for those who keep referring to this forum as a private forum and that the Admin is the owner, I totally disagree with you. This is a public forum made up of a community individuals from around the globe.

It makes it more so when people are contributing money to keep it runing. Our donations are NOT made to Adam but to the community. Adam is the Administrator of that money and, he also happens to be a contributor.
morally you are right

but the bottom line is that if Adam puts his foot down the rest of us have little to do but either appeal or leave.

there are enough members here that perhaps deserve more power, but in that case the next logical step is to form a board and have adam share that power.

01-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CGJung Quote
I think I've NOT violated any forum's rule by trying to sell those six 8GB cards here. I don't own any store neither a distributor that resells items on percentage margins. And more than that, despite multiple sellers of similar item at the Marketplace, I have buyers and that means forum member are benefiting from what I'm selling. Pulling the thread really hurt my reputation as good seller.
I agree 100% with you and I think it sucks you have been seemingly singled out when these types of sales go on constantly here.

I've done the exact same thing, bought a "lot" of something to use some and sell the rest. It's a way of mitigating the costs associated with the LBA nearly all of us suffer from.

Also, I hardly see the difference in buying half a dozen Vivitar Series 1 pieces for "testing" and then selling them off in the forum here. Why? Because, I seriously doubt that most of these types of sales result in a seller losing money. Good for the seller. I despise the thinking of some people who seemingly get pissed off if God forbid somebody makes $10. Lame.

I buy. I sell. But, I'm less keen on doing it here ATM.

Regards,
Mike
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've seen them as well - people who readily admit they're not selling their own property posting in there.

Although enforcement of the rule has been an issue, it does not preclude the rule being enforced at some point. And whether the OP was selling his own or not is up to interpretation.

In this case, the only interpretation that counts is the site Admin's, Adam.
01-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #22

This forum is like a business. All though the public is allowed in a store, it is still private property in the laws eye. That means is the owner doesn't want you there, or wants you to stop doing something, they have every right to kick you off or stop you using reasonable force. If the admin doesn't want you selling stuff on this forum, he has every right to tell you to stop, or tell you to GTFO. Luckily the admins are very nice here.

This web site is not the be all and and all of on-line sales. If you don't like the way they do business, you need to start finding an alternative.

01-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The Admin's / owners on this site have been more than accommodating. He whom owns the site sets the rules, anyone that doesn't like it can hit the bricks (IMO). Don't like the rules, then start your own site. Otherwise, stop bitching.
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Was one of them this one?
Busted.

PF looks like such a great place to make a quick buck...
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
I agree 100% with you and I think it sucks you have been seemingly singled out when these types of sales go on constantly here.

I've done the exact same thing, bought a "lot" of something to use some and sell the rest. It's a way of mitigating the costs associated with the LBA nearly all of us suffer from.

Also, I hardly see the difference in buying half a dozen Vivitar Series 1 pieces for "testing" and then selling them off in the forum here. Why? Because, I seriously doubt that most of these types of sales result in a seller losing money. Good for the seller. I despise the thinking of some people who seemingly get pissed off if God forbid somebody makes $10. Lame.

I buy. I sell. But, I'm less keen on doing it here ATM.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I can see that why people would resell items like that, but it's always been discouraged here, as this isn't eBay. I don't charge you listing fees, but I could, and if I did, I could perhaps even make enough to buy myself a couple good tele A*'s. I'll consider a solution for sellers such as you for the future, but at this time, we've got clearly-defined rules rules, and are enforing them properly. Those rules don't allow for mass-sales. In the site's early months I/we have been very lenient when we perhaps shouldn't have. We've grown to the point where it would simply be unprofessional to let everything slide in the Marketplace and have rules that aren't even read. My goal is to still be as "nice" to users as possible, but when we set forth clear rules and all we hear is bitching, I think the complaints are going too far.

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
The Admin's / owners on this site have been more than accommodating. He whom owns the site sets the rules, anyone that doesn't like it can hit the bricks (IMO). Don't like the rules, then start your own site. Otherwise, stop bitching.
QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
This forum is like a business. All though the public is allowed in a store, it is still private property in the laws eye. That means is the owner doesn't want you there, or wants you to stop doing something, they have every right to kick you off or stop you using reasonable force. If the admin doesn't want you selling stuff on this forum, he has every right to tell you to stop, or tell you to GTFO. Luckily the admins are very nice here.

This web site is not the be all and and all of on-line sales. If you don't like the way they do business, you need to start finding an alternative.
Well-said.

The facilities you've been given here are exceptional for a free site; new features are constantly being worked on and added- just check the news forum. [I will be upgrading the forum to vB 3.7.5 later this afternoon, and to vB 3.8.0 on Thursday.] Also, consider the site's mission: to be a useful resource and the ultimate, most helpful, Pentax forum. Most sites the size of ours are making tens of thousands dollars monthly from ads or services, and it's undeniable that a similar potential can be found here. Yet, I run this site with the goal of being as helpful as possible. When I hear pointless whining, complaining, and lack of appreciation, I'm annoyed. There are plenty of members here that read and forum and use the marketplace with great content- I wonder why?

Comments, suggestions, and specific recommendations are fine, whether positive or negative. However, don't rub it in or feed the bears, so to speak. I'll leave it at that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
...Every time I stumble into the Marketplace I seem to see lots of names I never notice participating in discussions.
That was my thought when I took a gander at the OP's posting history. Member since 2006 and less than 40 posts (at the time) and a large percentage of those being in the marketplace. I don't have a problem with people being merchandise oriented, but sometimes it is a little silly. Case in point are the sales posts that are up for two or three days, bumped multiple times by the OP, with the item magically migrating to eBay on the third day. The last post being a link to the auction.

Steve
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Busted.

PF looks like such a great place to make a quick buck...
...All of us being so terribly rich and gullible and all...

Steve
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I have seen "free" Forums go commercial and within 1.5 years they often become the pits even it they are economically successful. I would rather make donations and see a site such as these remain autonomous. Sponsors dictate policy in the Pay sites. As far a CJJung goes, he has pushed the envelope on here before. Just look at the Pentax AF360 flashes that he bought at Circuit City with the express purpose to resell.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/25216-sold-fs-flash-pentax-af-360-fgz.html

Last edited by Blue; 01-06-2009 at 02:10 PM.
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have seen "free" Forums go commercial and within 1.5 years they often become the pits even it they are economically successful. I would rather make donations and see a site such as these remain autonomous. Sponsors dictate policy in the Pay sites. As far a CJJung goes, he has pushed the envelope on here before. Just look at the Pentax AF360 flashes that he bought at Circuit City with the express purpose to resell.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/25216-sold-fs-flash-pentax-af-360-fgz.html
I kinda' changed my mind on the subject when I saw Mike Cash's reference to the flashes...
And yeah, 40 posts in 2.5 years, mostly in the marketplace?

A bit hard to defend that... If he had, say 300, even 250 posts, with some scattered, I might be willing to say somethine, even though I myself am a n00b here, but 40 posts?

Tony
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I fail to see any issue here. The rules are the rules and they have now been enforced...end of story.

The lesson here is you can try and be "nice" and give people a bit of slack (& I strongly encourage the Admins to continue this approach), but when you do there will always be people who will try and take a greater advantage by bending the rules further thus forcing the hand of "authority" (in this case Adam), to act.

Adam acted.

I endorse and support the action taken by Adam.

The OP can bitch & moan all he/she likes.....its not going to change anything.

Lets move on please.

Cheers.