Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Could someone do me a quick favor?

Hi everyone,
Someone on dpreview posted questions about an Alaska trip and a forum member there mentioned my trip and a link to some of my posts about it (and the fact that I'm banned).

Since it is an actual post I could have some useful info on (they don't come along too often ) could someone just reply letting the poster know if they have any questions about photography in Alaska or anything else about the trip he could post here and I'd be happy to help .

Link to the post: Long telephoto for Kauai and Alaska trip !: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks in advance!
John

01-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No problems.

p.s. why are you banned????
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Hi everyone,
Someone on dpreview posted questions about an Alaska trip and a forum member there mentioned my trip and a link to some of my posts about it (and the fact that I'm banned).

Since it is an actual post I could have some useful info on (they don't come along too often ) could someone just reply letting the poster know if they have any questions about photography in Alaska or anything else about the trip he could post here and I'd be happy to help .

Link to the post: Long telephoto for Kauai and Alaska trip !: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks in advance!
John
Done.

I was the one posting about your previous trip. Was quite surprised to see that you had gotten banned
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
No problems.

p.s. why are you banned????
Thanks! Oh I had a lame run-in with a forum member and replied to one of his posts with a link to a website that called him an idiot.. Every couple of months I write to dpreview and ask to be re-instated but I never hear anything back. Oh well.

Here is a link to a more detail explanation of what happened

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/30955-well-i-got-banned-dpreview.html

Thanks again!
John

01-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

That's me !

I am planning a trip to Kauai and also Alaska this spring and summer. I have a K10d and an assortment of pentax glass - FA31, DA40, FA50, 18-55 kit lens, 50-135. I know I need longer lens for wildlife and was wondering what you would recommend. Also any specific recommendations in planning out my trip to Alaska would be most appreciated. Thanks ! ! You can email me back directly at (Email address deleted by Moderator for his own safety).
Robert

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-07-2009 at 11:58 PM.
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Done.

I was the one posting about your previous trip. Was quite surprised to see that you had gotten banned
Thanks! I am normally NOT a confrontational guy but that one member really got under my skin I read more then posted but every once in a while when I can actually contribute it bugs me that I got myself banned.

Thanks!
John
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ssirc Quote
I am planning a trip to Kauai and also Alaska this spring and summer. I have a K10d and an assortment of pentax glass - FA31, DA40, FA50, 18-55 kit lens, 50-135. I know I need longer lens for wildlife and was wondering what you would recommend. Also any specific recommendations in planning out my trip to Alaska would be most appreciated. Thanks ! ! You can email me back directly at

Robert
Hi Robert,
Glad you made your way over here! Even know there is a lot of people on both boards you'll find a different community feeling here! I'll make a copy of this post and email it to you as well in case you don't plan on coming back to check it

Anyway about Alaska in regards to equipment, long lens in particular. I think you've gotten a lot of great advice on dpreview. I don't know what your exact trip is going to be but like most people said 300mm probably won't be long enough for a lot of wildlife, especially bears in Denali (actually unless you're in a bus you don't want to be that close to them anyway hehe).

I bought a used Tokina 400mm AT-X f/5.6 a few weeks before I went and I felt like that the min length I'd want. I added a 1.5x TC on it for some far away stuff but that wasn't ideal most of the time (although surprisingly I did get some good shots with it). The great thing about the Tokina was that it is very light, making hand held shots possible and my arm didn't want to fall off walking around with it all day.

I saw on dpreview that you are thinking about the DA*300 which I recently acquired. I think the lens by itself would be too short BUT if you add the "soon to be released" Pentax 1.4xTC I think that could be a winner. You'd have a weather sealed 420mm f/5.6 lens with EXCELLENT IQ. I am using it with a Kenko 1.5x TC and IQ is wonderful IMO. Not to mention a 300 f/4 for those lower light shots which happens on the southern coast because it is often cloudy and rainy even in the summer (another reason for a weather sealed lens).

Like some posts on dpreview said the other options are the Sigma xxx-500 lenses. I have no experience with those, but I've seen great examples of the 50-500. I think it will come down to if you want a zoom with 500mm reach or weather sealed 420 lens. Honestly I don't think you would go wrong with either (both have advantages and disadvantages).

So some other general gear thoughts. If you can swing it I HIGHLY suggest bringing a second body. Pick up a used ist DS or similar. I say this because you will be amazed at the photo opportunities every where you are. You'll be taking scenic landscape shots one second and turning around and see a bear or something. I would have missed SO many shots if I didn't have two bodies with me. I kept my Tokina 400mm on my K10 and paried my istDS with a Sigma 17-70. I took 99% of my shots with those two combos and left my other lenses in my bag.

Some other random gear thoughts.. pick up at least 1 extra battery (or 2), and even if you don't want to take a tripod at least take a mono-pod.

Anyway like I said I don't know what your planning but if you'd like any tips on anything I'll be glad to share what-ever I know. When we went last year we took just under a month trip and did everything from Homer to the Arctic Circle. We didn't do a "tour", we planned it all out on our own. Here are some must do's if you are going to be in these areas:
  • In Talkeetna take a plane ride and land on Ruth Glacier
  • If your in Denali only for a day take the bus as far into the park as time allows. The drivers are great and will stop for all the wildlife for you to take photos. If you are going to be there for multiple days reserve a camp site way in advance for wonder lake for a night or two.
  • Fairbanks - We took a tour to the arctic circle, while it is cool that we said we've been there it really wasn't a highlight of the trip. We could have spent more time someplace else and not really missed much.
  • Anchorage - There is actually a ton of really cool stuff just outside the city. Great hikes and drives with incredible scenery. The hike up to Crow Pass was a highlight for sure
  • Valdez - If your in this area take one of the sight seeing cruises, not only will you get to see amazing glaciers but you'll see a ton of wildlife (we saw whales, puffins, dolphins, seals, sea lions, eagles, ect). If you want to see a TON of eagles take a drive on the other side of the bay (near the refinery). I counted over 50 Bald Eagles on few mile long stretch of road).
  • Seward - Take another boat trip, and go see the sled dogs
  • Homer - We stayed at a great B&B in Clam Gultch (called the Clam Gultch Lodge). The owner was great and he's a amateur photographer. Camp on the beach for a night by the water. Homer is another place with a TON of eagles that you can basically walk up to.

Those are just some quick highlights. If your interested take a look at my pbase Alaska Gallery (Alaska Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com) and get an idea of the photo opps you'll get.

I hope you got through this long winded post, and I hoped it helped. Again ask away if you have any questions and if I can I'll help

John

ps. I didn't proof read the post very well, its late so excuse all the typos I must have made Oh and here are a couple of threads of shots with the DA*300 with the Kenko TC attached, just to give you an idea of the IQ of the lens/TC

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/45893-northern-cardinal-...-kenko-tc.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/44803-da-300-kenko-1-5xt...der-shots.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/423063-post22.html

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-07-2009 at 11:59 PM.
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Edit :
Found info

Last edited by Jonson PL; 01-06-2009 at 11:07 PM.
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Thanks! Oh I had a lame run-in with a forum member and replied to one of his posts with a link to a website that called him an idiot.. Every couple of months I write to dpreview and ask to be re-instated but I never hear anything back. Oh well.

Here is a link to a more detail explanation of what happened

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/30955-well-i-got-banned-dpreview.html

Thanks again!
John
You are banned that long!!

I had been banned twice in DPR that I was not even aware of it until blogging friends told me so.

Apparently the short ban was only 2 or 4 weeks. Someone must be very angry at you...
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #10

Alaska/Kauai telephoto lens...

Thanks for all of that great information...I am inclined towards the DA300 and the pentax 1.4 TC whenever that shows up...I am in the early planning stages of the Alaska trip and will probably get to Italy and Kauai first in the spring and then Alaska in the summer months in all likelihood. I really appreciate all of the lens and Alaska tips !

Robert