Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What's this creature?

What's this creature anyone, is it harmful to children? Thanks for any info.

About 1.5in long, this one was found dead in the house. A few days ago there was another one, not wanting to kill I tried to trap it alive to release it outside, but it ran into hiding while squirting back a spray of black yukky stuff (luckily on tiled area so wiped easily).

01-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gryllotalpa

It's a kind of cricket, living in the soil. In Europe, we have a similar one, but I don't know if you have the same species down under... If so, it is probably introduced. You could Google for Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa, or just for the genus Gryllotalpa of course
Edit: and no, its not harmfull whatsoever, because it's maily vegetarian (eating roots and sometimes small insects and worms) and not poisoneous (STRICTLY SPEAKING ABOUT THE EUROPEAN SPECIES!)

Last edited by Rense; 01-08-2009 at 07:42 AM.
01-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yours is most probably Gryllotalpa brachyptera, the Australian mole cricket..... Gryllotalpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Rense; 01-08-2009 at 10:22 AM.
01-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Rense.
When a kid I played with Asian crickets so I see this one the rear half is like crickets but its front half resembles a crayfish. So strange.

01-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats the most amazing thing! Its halfway between a lobster and a cricket, and its little beady eyes are actually quite cute!
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
It's a kind of cricket, living in the soil. In Europe, we have a similar one, but I don't know if you have the same species down under... If so, it is probably introduced. You could Google for Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa, or just for the genus Gryllotalpa of course
Edit: and no, its not harmfull whatsoever, because it's maily vegetarian (eating roots and sometimes small insects and worms) and not poisoneous (STRICTLY SPEAKING ABOUT THE EUROPEAN SPECIES!)
Several species of mole crickets are major pests around the world.
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

you would know about pests blue..

har har har

01-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Several species of mole crickets are major pests around the world.
Yep, but I guess that almost always relates to introduces species! Our European mole cricket (G. gryllotalpa) is on the "Red List of Endangered Species" here in The Netherlands, although the peaty soils where it lives in are quite abundant. The same holds for Belgium and the UK. Besides that, its protected by law, at least in The Netherlands. In the US this species is introduced, and regarded as pest.... But that's the way it goes quite regularly....

Last edited by Rense; 01-08-2009 at 10:22 AM.
01-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I imagine it's only dangerous to children if they eat too many before their dinner.
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bon appetit!

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I imagine it's only dangerous to children if they eat too many before their dinner.
As long as they are fried (the mole crickets, not the children), they could be had for dinner, I guess....
01-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you would know about pests blue..

har har har
I get paid to know.
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get paid to know.
Ah, great. So then, is my observation true for the indigenious cm species? You have some in the US, isn't it? The pest ones, are those introduced, or are your own also problematic?
01-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Crickets here are only a pest when they get in your house and keep you up all night. Otherwise, I've never heard of them being an ecological problem.
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Ah, great. So then, is my observation true for the indigenious cm species? You have some in the US, isn't it? The pest ones, are those introduced, or are your own also problematic?
In the context of mole crickets, you are correct. Here is the best source for information in the context of Florida.

Which Mole Crickets Are Pests

and this link> http://molecrickets.ifas.ufl.edu/mcri0002.htm

Often, pest species including insects have "invaded" a new area. This isn't always the case though. For example, the rice water weevil Lissorhoptrus oryzophilus is a pest of rice in Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and California with the larvae feeding on roots in flooded fields and the adults on the leaves. Another example would be the plum curculio and the Colorado potato beetle. These are all native to North America. However, the crops that they attack may not be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Crickets here are only a pest when they get in your house and keep you up all night. Otherwise, I've never heard of them being an ecological problem.
Those aren't mole crickets anyway. Most people never see one since they spend a vast majority of their time in the soil.
01-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, the crops that they attack may not be.
... and certainly not in the densities found in agricultural fields! Thanks for your reply!