Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At 7000ft. the air pressure is about 80% of what you have at sea level, not enough to cause a burst tire on the wheelchair. Beside, when we go out west, we often fly at 14 to 15,000 ft. to cross the Rockies with no problems. My guess is it was a weak spot in the tube inside the tire that caused it to blow. Scary the same when you have absolutely no clue as to what is going on. I've been flying with my wife for 27 years, and it's the first time something like that happens.

01-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
At 7000ft. the air pressure is about 80% of what you have at sea level, not enough to cause a burst tire on the wheelchair.
Back in the late 70s, my boss and I were doing a week long cross country visiting mills throughout the Southwest and Southeast.

On our second day out, the boss decided to get something out of his bag which was in the back seat of the WarriorII. When he turned around, he decided to put his foot on something for leverage to get to the back. Well, what he put his foot on was the yoke and, before I could stop him, he pushed it nearly all of the way to the panel. Of course, the sudden change in attitude not only pulled his foot of the yoke, it slammed him into the cabin ceiling. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of both of us but he was only bruised a bit. His ego was heavilly bruised.

Now, what was he trying to get out of the back seat? About fifteen minutes after the first incident, he decided to try again and was very aware of what he shouldn't do, so we didn't have that problem.

We were flying VFR, eastbound at 9500asl, and I frequently had my head buried in the chart making sure of our route and location. When he turned back around he had a Thermos bottle full of Hot Coffee in his hand. Just about the time I looked over at him and said at almost a scream, "Don't Open That!!!!", he opened it. Yep, Hot Coffee all over him, me and practically the entire inside of the cabin.

We landed at the nearest airport, changed clothes and cleaned all of that coffee out of the inside of the plane.

Before we got back in the plane to continue our trip, I told him in no uncertain terms.. "You do not do anything in that airplane without clearing it with me first!". Still feeling the pain of the Hot Coffee, he complied.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful.
01-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yves ... glad everything was ok! I don't even think that was embarassing, landing and investigating the noise was definetly the ONLY responsible thing to do. Heck if I hear any sort of unusual noise in my car I stop to check it out right away.

As for the emergency workers you displaced, TRUST me they were happy that nothing was wrong. I work for Montreal FD at a station in the west island and we regularely get called out to Dorval (YUL) for in flight anomalies. 99% of times it's nothing, and trust me... we are REALLY happy when it ends up being nothing.

Pat
01-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Did AAA fix the wheel chair flat?
No AAA in Canada. It's CAA, and they don't cover wheelchair. And the mechanics at the airport can fix a flat on a plane, but they're at a loss in front of a wheelchair. Apparently, they don't have spare parts for "everything".

01-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I work for Montreal FD at a station in the west island and we regularely get called out to Dorval (YUL) for in flight anomalies. 99% of times it's nothing, and trust me... we are REALLY happy when it ends up being nothing.

Pat
I'm glad I'm not flying out of Montréal, but Mascouche instead. It would be disturbing to "regularly" see the fire department there.

Beside, the landing fees are too high (I'm a cheapskate). I need to save here and there to fill up all 360 liters that plane can take.
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yves, don't worry we come in thru a back gate... the people at the terminals seldom see us but Montreal FD does respond to the airport in support to the ADM's FD a few times a week on average. Then again there are thousands of flights per week there so the odds are there...

It's mostly pilots being carefull and requesting a FD standby when they see a light they don't like on the dash, or a noise or smell they don't like. Not a major emergency (Alerte de niveau 1 and 2), but just being carefull. Real emergencie (Alerte de niveau 3) we only see once or twice a year on average.

Pat
01-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Back in the late 70s, my boss and I were doing a week long cross country visiting mills throughout the Southwest and Southeast.

On our second day out, the boss decided to get something out of his bag which was in the back seat of the WarriorII. When he turned around, he decided to put his foot on something for leverage to get to the back. Well, what he put his foot on was the yoke and, before I could stop him, he pushed it nearly all of the way to the panel. Of course, the sudden change in attitude not only pulled his foot of the yoke, it slammed him into the cabin ceiling. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of both of us but he was only bruised a bit. His ego was heavilly bruised.
You reminded me of a story I once read in some book I can no longer recall the title of. Some Italian Air Force guys were transporting some Americans in either a transport or a bomber, I forget which, and heard they had a famous American aviator as one of their passengers. They insisted that he come take the controls for a while. The passenger protested and finally reluctantly took the yoke. Within seconds they were all over the sky and enjoying the wild aerobatic maneuvers being displayed by their distinguished guest, together with the act the guest was putting on of appearing terrified.

After a while of praising his antics they finally clued in that it was no act and inquired, "Aren't you Rickenbacker?" (The famous WWI ace)

"No, I'm Knickerbocker." (An American newspaper reporter).

They unceremoniously snatched him out of the pilot's seat.

01-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad to hear all was well! When flying, every precaution is well deserved.

Had Mike Cash been in your plane, you would have immediately known the cause of the loud bang...
01-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Glad to hear all was well! When flying, every precaution is well deserved.

Had Mike Cash been in your plane, you would have immediately known the cause of the loud bang...
I like to think I have enough manners and plain old common courtesy that I would insert a bit of garden hose to vent the pressure prior to getting into somebody's private airplane. It isn't as though I have no upbringing whatsoever, you know.
01-11-2009, 05:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It isn't as though I have no upbringing whatsoever, you know.
Glad to hear that.