Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2023, 07:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1

If all you have is a hammer...

...then make beautiful art.

Künstler | Simon Berger Art | Switzerland

12-01-2023, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very impressive technique. I wonder how long it took to master the hammer skills necessary obtain the desired effect?
12-01-2023, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy smokes, that is amazing work.
12-02-2023, 10:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

An alternate viewpoint would be that this defines one trick pony.
Whether this is great art, good art or even art at all is open for debate. It could just prove that the quote attributed to P.T Barnum was correct.
I suspect one could give a hammer to any 5 year old and get pretty much the same thing.

12-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not my cuppa, for sure, but everyone's entitled to their opinion of "art".
12-02-2023, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect one could give a hammer to any 5 year old and get pretty much the same thing.

You must know some very talented five year olds.

Personally I think those Simon Berger works are original and fascinating, and it's a pleasure to see modern art that actually involves some skill and craft. Of course, all art is in the eye of the beholder. All that any of us can ever say about anything that aspires to be a work of art is that it moves us in some way.
12-02-2023, 10:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
An alternate viewpoint would be that this defines one trick pony.
Whether this is great art, good art or even art at all is open for debate. It could just prove that the quote attributed to P.T Barnum was correct.
I doubt he sees his art as just another nail, and out of all the hammers in the world, his creates very unique art. Goes to show how limiting one's tools helps to expand the imagination to overcome the apparent limitations of our tools, because the most important tool an artist has is their mind.

---------- Post added 12-02-23 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
You must know some very talented five year olds.

Personally I think those Simon Berger works are original and fascinating, and it's a pleasure to see modern art that actually involves some skill and craft. Of course, all art is in the eye of the beholder. All that any of us can ever say about anything that aspires to be a work of art is that it moves us in some way.
It's always refreshing to me to see good art that isn't just someone recreating something that has already been done. That has a lot of value in our world today.

12-02-2023, 11:01 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly more aesthetically pleasing than a lot of other artwork I've seen since the dawn of the 21st century.

The artist certainly understand the qualities and constraints of the medium with which he's chosen to work.
12-02-2023, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pquirk Quote
It's always refreshing to me to see good art that isn't just someone recreating something that has already been done. That has a lot of value in our world today.

Definitely. I like it that Berger's works aren't susceptible to mass reproduction, as I'm always inclined to prefer art that you have to actually go and see for real. Even if it is just something about the mystique of it having been touched by the artist's hand.
12-02-2023, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Fascinating how the artist creates such beautiful images with only one medium, and by the calculated and deliberate destruction of the medium in a way that creates an image he sees and translates into the medium. Abstract, yet precise.

It would be awesome to view his work in person, as a photograph would only approximate the beauty of how the light plays on the fractures in the glass.
12-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Fascinating how the artist creates such beautiful images with only one medium, and by the calculated and deliberate destruction of the medium in a way that creates an image he sees and translates into the medium. Abstract, yet precise.

It would be awesome to view his work in person, as a photograph would only approximate the beauty of how the light plays on the fractures in the glass.
Just as the black and white film photographer destroys the silver halide that is suspended in gelatin with a controlled burst of focused light.