Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Ed in GA

US Purchases from Henry's in Canada

Either Direct of via ebay.com

Has anyone in the US who has purchased from Henrys had to pay any type of import duty or tax?

I'm thinking about bidding on one of their items, or picking it up with BIN, and the price should be very good if I don't have to pay any duties.

anyone?

01-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've bought from them and didn't have to pay any duties or tax:-).
01-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
NAFTA did away with that. Along with a crap load of American jobs...
01-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You shipped your jobs to China where the labour is cheap.

01-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And a lot of Canadian jobs!
01-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here we go again...NAFTA, the cause of all ills. Tell ya what, you take Malroney and we'll return to pre-NAFTA days.
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Here we go again...NAFTA, the cause of all ills. Tell ya what, you take Malroney and we'll return to pre-NAFTA days.
I'd agree in a heart beat if the jobs we lost came back too.

01-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

You did notice that for all of Chretien's bluster about "tearing up NAFTA", he managed to go through almost three terms in office without keeping that promise.
There really isn't much wrong with NAFTA that wouldn't be cured for both of our countries by us consumers starting to insist on buying products that are manufactured in North America.
North America has pretty much shipped all of it's manufacturing to China, with obvious bad effects.
Consider how much sway Communist China would have if they arbitrarily decided that they didn't want to sell to us anymore without some concessions of one sort or another.
They could shut the North American economy down within weeks just by refusing to ship products to us.
01-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You did notice that for all of Chretien's bluster about "tearing up NAFTA", he managed to go through almost three terms in office without keeping that promise.
There really isn't much wrong with NAFTA that wouldn't be cured for both of our countries by us consumers starting to insist on buying products that are manufactured in North America.
North America has pretty much shipped all of it's manufacturing to China, with obvious bad effects.
Consider how much sway Communist China would have if they arbitrarily decided that they didn't want to sell to us anymore without some concessions of one sort or another.
They could shut the North American economy down within weeks just by refusing to ship products to us.
I'm NOT touching your comments with a thousand-foot pole at least not in this forum. My original comment was a simple retort to Tom (with apologies to Ed for hijacking his thread) because of sick and tired of blame be shifted to those dastardly Canucks. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive but I'm tired of it.
01-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm NOT touching your comments with a thousand-foot pole at least not in this forum. My original comment was a simple retort to Tom (with apologies to Ed for hijacking his thread) because of sick and tired of blame be shifted to those dastardly Canucks. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive but I'm tired of it.
There was nothing in my comment to disdain Canada. NAFTA did eliminate the duties between the US and Canada, and to me that was a win-win, especially for Canada. But it also opened up the door for thousands of US jobs to go to Mexico, where labor cost is less than 10% what US and Canadian labor cost are. Did the US lose jobs to Canada? Maybe a few, I don't know - but the bleed to Mexico was alarming. In fact, I praise Canada for being far more protective of her manufacturing base than the US has been. It's a heck of a lot harder for companies to move manufacturing jobs from Canada to a foreign country than it is for a US company to do likewise.
01-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Going back on-topic, is Henry's good as a seller? I might be interested to look at some of their used merchandise, just so I'd have another merchant to browse. Best to have a wide variety of sources when looking for used stuff.

That, and they're willing to ship to where I am.
01-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

yeah they're a decent seller
Henry's is the biggest chain of camera stores in canada
01-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad to hear, at least, that they're reputable. I've occasionally almost bought something from them via Ebay, but they load things up with enough terms and conditions and inconveniences and shipping expenses that it just gave me pause. They do do a 'make an offer' thing which I find is great. Compared to auctions, anyway. I don't like haggling, but, You can be like, "Hey, would you take (blah) for that?" They can be "Can't do it," or "OK!"

I kind of like straightforward, cash-on-the-barrelhead dealings.

Wait a minute, was that Henry's? I'm thinking of the other guys in Toronto, I think. Anyway, still glad to hear if they're trustowrthy.