Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #1

What is Telecentricity?

FWIW the guys at the red camera forum are discussing merits of different lens choices, namely lenses designed for film being used on electronic imaging planes and the potential for "port holing" . One of the guys posted this link regarding "Telecentricity" and how it affects digital/electronic imaging. I thought the group brain trust would like to see it.

the white paper is on Edmund's
Technical Support - Edmund Optics

basically there is the current thought that lenses designed for film could be less desirable when used for digital since they are not telecentric. film did not care about the direction of light .... digital on the other hand like light to strike perpendicular to its plane making telecentric lenses designed for electronic lenses preferable ....

Last edited by txsbluesguy; 01-12-2009 at 10:16 AM.
01-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

well yes

this is why you have all of these D-something lenses, and why some lenses which are great on film are so-so on digital

they are however, working on designing pixels which are essentially rounded, so that they can properly recieve light from all angles (essentialy imagine every single pixel having its own curved lens!)

from what i understand, the K20D implements this type of technology, which i think is one of the main reasons users are reporting better images.
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know one thing, telecentricity=bad bokeh.
01-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's happy news for me, Gooshin.

Almost all the lenses I want from Pentax are FA's.

01-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

actually.,,

here, straight from the horses mouth

http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/slr/k20d/feature.html

and a snipit:

01-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
actually.,,

here, straight from the horses mouth

K20D : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX

and a snipit:

Ah, now that I see the pictures, I remember seeing this last year. At the time I was putting a K20d on a maybe-three-year plan, but that was one of the details that made me feel confident there was good stuff upstream if I got involved in the system and a bunch of those old Pentax lenses I loved the look of so long ago. (You may have heard me mention that the K20 was a lucky confluence of factors that put one in reach, so I went right for it: this guy ought to be enough DSLR for my purposes for quite a while, yay. )

It's a good improvement.
01-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

and just as a point of intrest, why film is still better in some regards, is that you dont have any of that empty space taken up by silicone board, its just.. film

01-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've decided to mostly just say I like film for being film. Cause it is.