71-80 31.76%
81+ 10.59%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your Age

Just want a poll to see how old everyone is, I struggle to find many young pentax shooters like myself. I'm 19

01-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Age is not just numbers - some of us do not act our age - others have a young outlook on life!

For the younger person just starting out - there is a great deal of experience out there, and experience often comes with age

So use this site to make use of all that experience and knowledge

Good luck in you quest
01-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very true! I'm just curious as to if young people know about pentax? I always do thorough research before buying something that's how I found out about them.
01-13-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Very true! I'm just curious as to if young people know about pentax? I always do thorough research before buying something that's how I found out about them.
I knew about pentax for ages.. mainly cause i remember how they used to have a fair amount of ads when i was young...

01-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Dopeytree, you asked how young people found out about Pentax. At 25 I'm older than you by just enough that consumer/prosumer digital cameras weren't common yet even by the time I graduated from high school and I learned photography using film.

My middle school's photo lab had k1000 bodies, and my high school still used Spotmatics. Once I showed an interest in photography and learned the basics at school my Dad let me use his Spotmatic occasionally, and later on an uncle gave me a k1000 of my own. Moving to Pentax digital bodies from there was a pretty logical step, I just had to wait for the price/performance trade off to get to the point where I was willing to buy in. That finally happened when the k10d was being cleared out last year to make way for the k20d.
01-13-2009, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #6

Age 21.

My parents owned a couple of pentax film compacts back in the day (still have them) but i never thought much of the brand. In my teenage years, we got a sony digital camera (when 3.2MP was a big thing) and it was a whopper! Didnt use that much though.
Before I went into uni i got another sony compact which was much smaller this time and I used it a fair bit. At some point, i got into photo manipulation and decided to go the next level so that i would have better images to play with. I had a look around, looking for the cheapest and simplest set up (probably what they are trying to achieve with the K-m).
Cue Pentax k100d with sigma 18-55mm lens! I was pleased and excited with the first few images i got which spurred me to seriously get into the genre of photography. Since then i got into the habit of trying new techniques and ideas while researching into lenses and accessories to help improve/enhance my images. Not wanting to sell the lenses I accumulated and switch into a new system, I upgraded to the k20d. Nothing wrong with the k200d but the features of the k20d appealed to me more

So after that long winded story I am pretty much like dopeytree: I did my research and got what I concluded was best.
01-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm 24. Got into photography one summer back in high school, when I took full control of my family's favored point-and-shoot at that time - a Kodak Advantix camera. It just snowballed from there, and it also helped that I got into film school in college, though most of what I know in photography I learned from the internet (I basically had a lazy professor, haha).

Pentax, I got to know about the company and history when I got more into photography. I always enjoyed reading history and stuff. First foray to digital was a borrowed Toshiba from my sister (with the now-defunct SmartMedia cards). First digital was a 300D (arguably a legendary camera in retrospect), though, just because it was the cheapest at the time, and Pentax only had the *ist D at that time, which was too expensive for me.

When I wanted to upgrade, though, luckily I didn't buy any other lens for the 300D, so it was easier to go another direction. I ended up with Pentax. I flirted with other camera brands, but found the value-for-money with Pentax.

01-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Ed in GA

Now, this would be an opportunity for.......

I've known about Pentax since the Dark Ages.

The Dark ages when "FPS" meant how fast your thumb could move the rewind lever between shots.

"Auto Exposure" meant having the mean settings for the conditions in which you were shooting committed to memory. Then adjusting from there to achieve the desired effect.

"Auto Focus" meant understanding the DOF characteristics of the lens you were using and shooting with it. Even if your primary target was just out of focus, you shot would be just right.

"Strobing" meant carrying around a boat load of Flash Bulbs.

"Post Processing" meant that some of us spent hours in the dark room and others of us spent hours at the local photo lab.

Now, why do younger people not see Pentax today?

Advertising, advertising, advertising. Pentax does little advertising in the electronic media whereas Nikon, Canon, Fuji & etc. drop millions. People buy the products with which they are familiar.

Of course, it doesn't help either that Pentax has lagged behind in technology.
01-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I;m younger than i look, and older than i feel.

In other words, i'v been through a few economic slow downs.:-)

Dave
01-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Looking at the demographics I am quite pleased. The younger generation IS buying Pentax.

When someone enters a competition we often get a post to go vote for that individual so why not ask the Admin or a Mod to send a mass announcement of this poll - I think it would be quite telling - we need a truer picture in way of # of voters.
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Haven't we had an age poll before? Maybe I'm imagining things, though

I'm 24. Film was "too expensive" for a kid, so said my parents. I started digital photography with a 2.1MP camera back in 02 I think, my junior year in high school.

I didn't have brand loyalty until I came to Pentax. The legacy products and current line-up are great, with none of the snobbery of the other brands. And I can't forget about the value
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm one of the 7 (so far) in the 61-70 bracket. I'll be 66 in May. I go way back to the Kodak Brownie & polaroid days. I even go back to the $.37 a gallon for premium gas, minimum wage of $1.40 an hour, and 8-track audio days!
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #13

I'm the youngest Pentaxian! I'm 16.
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to General Talk.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Haven't we had an age poll before? Maybe I'm imagining things, though

I'm 24. Film was "too expensive" for a kid, so said my parents. I started digital photography with a 2.1MP camera back in 02 I think, my junior year in high school.

I didn't have brand loyalty until I came to Pentax. The legacy products and current line-up are great, with none of the snobbery of the other brands. And I can't forget about the value
Cheers, Ryan! We're both the same age. Dunno about you, but film really was expensive for students. At least for me, since I had to set aside part of my lunch money just to get films and have them developed.