Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

It's *possible* to buy *in* in order to have a voice. Or so they say.
Emphasis on the "so they say" eh?
The stocks that give voices aren't available to the likes of you or I.
How about we all chip in and buy shares in Pentax Imagining or Hoya? Then we'd get the camera we wanted, every single one of us.

01-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
How about we all chip in and buy shares in Pentax Imagining or Hoya? Then we'd get the camera we wanted, every single one of us.
If we all bought enough stock, maybe we could take the place over! I could here it in the board room. Half of us fighting with the other half over whether or not to build an FF. Then arguing over whether the or not to build a $900 DA* 400 f4 and matching TCs.
01-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I tend to agree with raz-0: for technology products, for which a) supply is not limited, b) the initial pre-production investment is high, and c) the product cycle time is fast, it is early adopters willing to pay a premium who eventually bring prices down for everyone else. After a reasonable time to recoup initial investment though high profit margin sales, it is in the best interest of any manufacturer to sell the same goods at lower price with lower margins, before the cycle expires. Thus, some people pay >$1,000 for a new camera or computers with the latest tricks, most everyone else buys it a year later for $700, while early adopters look forward to the next product line.

This is different of course for things like Bordeaux wine or caviar, which have limited supply and are priced strictly to demand.

Thus, while I blame the rich for driving up the price of good Italian wine (after they themselves got priced out of French wine by the even-richer), I strongly encourage them to quickly buy the latest cameras.
01-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Thus, while I blame the rich for driving up the price of good Italian wine (after they themselves got priced out of French wine by the even-richer), I strongly encourage them to quickly buy the latest cameras.
Ha! That's a good one.

Actually my own experience is that "the rich" are pretty discrete. These are people who have actually earned their own wealth. They don't tend to be very flashy.

I've also learned the ones that are flashy and look rich quite often aren't. As for the ones who inherit their wealth, well there's the saying "shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in 3 generations".

On a photography related subject about the rich. I bought some nice gear from a camera store a few years ago at a reasonable price. It was previously owned by a "rich" health care professional who switched brands. But his gear looked almost brand new and all of it sold out very quickly.

01-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #20

Original Poster
Interesting feedback. I'm only in my twenties. I grew up in a household that cost indicated value. When I first bought my K20D, my uncle asked me how much it costs. Then rolled his eyes when I told him.

I'm not rich, but tend to get involved in things that the wealthy get involved in, then get frustrated when I'm told to go and buy this $300 doohicky or attend the $1500 training...don't know about them, but I was not blessed with a money tree or a golden egg laying goose.

I've been trying to find my calling since graduation and have finally settled on photography, so that I can learn fairly inexpensively. My last field was flying, I'm still digging out of that financial hole
01-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowraven Quote
Interesting feedback. I'm only in my twenties. I grew up in a household that cost indicated value. When I first bought my K20D, my uncle asked me how much it costs. Then rolled his eyes when I told him.

. . .
Your uncle just lacks a proper education and you have the opportunity to give him one. Teaching him about performance and quality versus cost (weather sealing etc.) I taught my uncles ever thing they know.
01-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Well, yes. Actually, in a lot of circumstances, you can at least get information on what a company is *up* to by buying a certain amount of stock. You get reports, at least.

Some nuns, of all people, do this on occasion.