Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Approved Photos

Can anyone tell me what it means when users say their photos have been approved.

01-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Typically it means that their photos have been accepted into the Pentax Photo Gallery:

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Many have entered photos to only to be rejected multiple times. However there are some who are able to get their photos into the gallery (many here have). Since it seems like the rejection to approval ratio is pretty high, getting into the PPG is a pretty exciting thing when it happens.
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #3

Can anyone tell me how to send in photos to the pentax gallery? I went to their site tools and left them my name to get back to me? It has been a few days now. Does it usually take them awhile just to let you know how to send in photos?
01-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Be prepared to wait a while, perhaps up to a week, sometimes more. Depends on their volume they need to handle, plus their other day to day work on other websites, etc.

Regards,
Marc

01-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What is the regular time to have a photo accepted or refused ?
01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had photos rejected within the same day whereas other photos hung around for maybe 2-3 weeks before rejection. So there are no regular intervals really
01-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I've had photos rejected within the same day whereas other photos hung around for maybe 2-3 weeks before rejection. So there are no regular intervals really
And accepted ones ? time frame ? more or less ?

(One have to be positive )

01-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sadly I cannot give you an inkling for an acceptance time frame <sigh>... so some of the others here may need to chime in on that one.
01-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a real old thread...

QuoteOriginally posted by craftsmansky Quote
today i got a reply from pentax on process and why two of my photos have been in the "ready for review" status for so long...

"You are correct that this has been a longer wait time than usual.
Pentax office close from Christmas eve through the new year so this is
our first day back. Images that are declined quickly are in the bottom
38% approval rating after 40 votes. Those with greater that 38%
approval get passed on to the Pentax review team."

so, i am assuming i passed the 38% test and am waiting for the REAL test...

time will tell.
This means it takes 25 NO votes out of a possible 40 total votes gets a photo rejected. Of course if the first 25 votes are NO then the photo will be rejected at that point. If the first 24 are NO and the next 15 are YES and the 40th vote is NO it still gets rejected. You can, however, think of it another way, if the photo gets 16 quick YES votes during the peer review it goes straight up to the official Pentax judges. Once it gets there they have their way with it. They've been pretty mum on their criteria and have also been rather "uneven" in their judging but what are ya gonna do... This factor goes a long way toward explaining "quick rejections."

Another think to watch for is "attention to the rules".

IMHO the main reason that some photos are rejected is that they are submitted at less than 600 pixels tall. Photos MUST be at least 600 pixels tall.... If they are less than that they are rejected in very short order. Anything over 600 is resized down to 600 anyway but I often think that ones that are exactly 600 pixels tall run into a bug and get rejected on size so I size mine at 603 pixels tall just to make sure.

Also, they say it up front not to submit overly wide photos but we keep seeing panoramic formatted images. Even if these get thru the "public vote" I believe the Pentax judges wack them off pretty quickly.
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

DAMN , I submitted 3 images with exact 600 pixels tall :ugh:

But they are still not rejected.... Should I keep them ? or delete and upload again with at least 601 pixels ?
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote

But they are still not rejected.... Should I keep them ? or delete and upload again with at least 601 pixels ?
No, all 13 of my images have been exactly 600 pixels high.

Tim
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
No, all 13 of my images have been exactly 600 pixels high.
Tim
Thanks for letting me know
01-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #13

The point of uploading photos to PPG has remained somewhat obscure to me... Could someone give their view on this.

Could one win there something?
Are the photos printed and published?
Are there public PPG exhibitions?
01-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote

If they were not rejected right away, they are fine. The point is that I think sometimes the resize function goes overboard and resizes too small IF the photo is already 600 pixels.
01-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urmas R. Quote
The point of uploading photos to PPG has remained somewhat obscure to me... Could someone give their view on this.

Could one win there something?
Are the photos printed and published?
Are there public PPG exhibitions?
- Do YOU have to win something to feel satisfied?
- Essentially they are "published" by Pentax in the gallery.
- Just the online gallery. Who knows, perhaps one day they may establish a brick-n-morter gallery.

Why do people submit artwork to any gallery or exhibition? Not all exhibits are "competitions" Are works in the MOMA competing? No they are just sharing the vision and talent of the artists. In the case of PPG it is a chance to be showcased with other talented Pentax photographers. There is nothing wrong with seeking this showcase nor in taking a certain amount of pride in having an image accepted.

This is not to say you are any less qualified or talented if you chose not to participate. That choice is yours alone and no one has any right to say otherwise or suspect your motives whether you chose to participate or not.