Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know the roads are icy when....

Votre Météo: Vidéos Sélectionnées - MétéoMédia

Thats winter in the province of Quebec...

It's filmed in Vaudreuil, a western suburb of Montreal.

Pat

01-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

Interesting. As I stand here in Florida getting ready to build my pvc hoop house to protect my 'maters and eggplant from tonight's hard freeze all I can say is Global Warming my A$$
01-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Global Weirding" would be a better title.

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Interesting. As I stand here in Florida getting ready to build my pvc hoop house to protect my 'maters and eggplant from tonight's hard freeze all I can say is Global Warming my A$$
If you take a system and put more energy into it than has been the "norm" you will get all kinds of strange effects. Design a very complicated electronic circuit and then add another few milliamps. See what happens. Weather is "generally" getting warmer. But all over it's getting stranger!

NaCl(and it will get even weirder if the Gulf current shuts down)H2O
01-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! When I lived in Syracuse NY we would have frequent ice storms in early winter. I would sometimes put on my speed skates and go out as it was the only way to get around! But I was nowhere as good as the skater in that video.

NaCl(I was happy if I could get from point A to point B)H2O

01-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried to play that video but it's in french ! ;~) All we've got here is frozen mud.
01-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It looked like that here after the december ice storm. At least it wasn't as bad as 98.
01-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Its "climate change" . . . get it right! We need to get Al Gore on this thing before all the palm trees freeze to death.

01-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with you Graphic 150% on this. It been snowing here in the Detroit area for over 3 months now...and it's only January. Plus we have been having record low temperatures (we were actually colder then the North Pole at 1 point). I find it funny we haven't heard a thing from Al Gore recently. My opinion...he's an idiot. Maybe the temperature is warming but I don't think we as humans have much of an effect on it.

All I have to say it take a look at how much CO2 was pumped into the atmosphere when Mt. St. Helens blew (more CO2 in 1 eruption then we pumped out in 100 years). And after it happened it got extremely cold...weird huh. Also, you have to look at all the solar flares that have been happening in the last few years. I think our temperature shifting has more to do with that then how much I drive my car.

If you really want to get an interesting perspective on things read a book called "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. Look who is give us the information we are getting, check out who they are getting paid by, and see where their interests lie. In other words...follow the money trail. Fear makes for big profits.
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I agree with you Graphic 150% on this. It been snowing here in the Detroit area for over 3 months now...and it's only January. Plus we have been having record low temperatures (we were actually colder then the North Pole at 1 point). I find it funny we haven't heard a thing from Al Gore recently. My opinion...he's an idiot. Maybe the temperature is warming but I don't think we as humans have much of an effect on it.

All I have to say it take a look at how much CO2 was pumped into the atmosphere when Mt. St. Helens blew (more CO2 in 1 eruption then we pumped out in 100 years). And after it happened it got extremely cold...weird huh. Also, you have to look at all the solar flares that have been happening in the last few years. I think our temperature shifting has more to do with that then how much I drive my car.

If you really want to get an interesting perspective on things read a book called "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. Look who is give us the information we are getting, check out who they are getting paid by, and see where their interests lie. In other words...follow the money trail. Fear makes for big profits.

Elwood, it was meant as tongue-in-cheek. I do resent however your insult to idiots. They get mighty offended when you put AlGore in the same class as them.
I remember back in the 70's global cooling, the next ice age. Yea right. They can't predict the weather for tomorrow let alone ten years from now. I've seen the reports of borings done where Greenland or Iceland or the Antartic I don't remember which but it was tropical.

I read all the stuff on this (hundreds of different reports and almost as many scientists) and more likely than not it is a cyclical deal. Just a longer cycle than these "scientists" are accustomed to.

Hey Blue. You're wrong it's not climate change it's a bunch of crapola

For Damn Brit:
:ugh:
01-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=graphicgr8s;456125]Elwood, it was meant as tongue-in-cheek. I do resent however your insult to idiots. They get mighty offended when you put AlGore in the same class as them.
I remember back in the 70's global cooling, the next ice age. Yea right. They can't predict the weather for tomorrow let alone ten years from now. I've seen the reports of borings done where Greenland or Iceland or the Antartic I don't remember which but it was tropical.

I read all the stuff on this (hundreds of different reports and almost as many scientists) and more likely than not it is a cyclical deal. Just a longer cycle than these "scientists" are accustomed to.

Hey Blue. You're wrong it's not climate change it's a bunch of crapola

For Damn Brit:

You make a great point,

I can see where idots would be offend by me putting Al Gore in the same class. I only brought him up to that level because he was the one who invented the internet and all
01-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Hey Blue. . . it's a bunch of crapola
I need some horse crapola for my banana. It damn near froze to death night before last.
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #12

The difference between the talk in the 70's and now is that major governmental decisions today are going to be based on this baloney!
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
The difference between the talk in the 70's and now is that major governmental decisions today are going to be based on this baloney!
There was a couple of people interviewed on the NPR show "Splendid Table" last night. One was a young woman and the other was a independent film maker making a movie called King Corn. They are wanting to change our entire agriculture system to a sustainable small family farm organic system and for all the cities to get there food from these local farms. I am not talking about classic 640 acre working family farms either. Many of the farms they are referring to are anywhere from 5 acres to 40 acres. There are larger ones but they are the exception and not the rule. The film maker went on to point out that a kiwi produced in New Zealand had a smaller carbon print than a tomato grown in New Jersey. He didn't take into account the fuel to get the kiwi to NY. Nor did he take into account that the tomato is more important in the grand scheme of FOOD than the kiwi. Anyway, they want B. H. Obama to pick a Sec of the Dept of Agriculture (USDA) than can transition us a painlessly as possible. I never new they taught things like agronomy, plant pathology, entomology, botany, etc. in film school.
01-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Maybe the temperature is warming but I don't think we as humans have much of an effect on it.
Good grief. Forget the politics, you honestly think we can pump billions of tonnes of crap into the atmosphere and it will not affect the planet?

At some point, you reap what you sow.
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Good grief. Forget the politics, you honestly think we can pump billions of tonnes of crap into the atmosphere and it will not affect the planet?

At some point, you reap what you sow.
Why not, nature does it all the time to itself and the earth is still here.