Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #1

The end of circuit city

Did they sell Pentax gear?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/technology/companies/17circuit.html?

01-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think maybe a Pentax P&S or two, but I never saw any Pentax DSLRs. Better opportunity will be software like Photoshop and tools like graphics tablets and the like.
01-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luckyrabbit Quote
When the K10D first came out they had a good selection of Pentax dSLRs and lenses on their Web site, but that has not been the case for a while.

Steve
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never liked shopping in Circuit City - but it's sad to see a bunch of folks lose their jobs.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-16-2009 at 05:33 PM.
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
If the store closings in Atlanta are any indication of what the rest of the closings will be like, then you can all save your time and money for and just continue to shop Amazon, Adorama and the like. CC closed all their stores in Atlanta in their first round of closures, the sales people cared even less about customer service (probably to be expected), the merchandise was actually marked UP and then the discounts started from there. Oh, and they wouldn't even let me open a box to ensure the product was actually in the box (it felt too light to me) even though there was a huge sign saying all sales were 100% final. There were a few decent deals on filters though...
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Going down with their ship

The failing economy is apparently just a figment of our imagination,
fueled by "the left-wing media" and "Hussein Osama's people".
There is no evidence of any economic downturn!

Well, that's what I heard yesterday on an AM talk radio station, anyway...

Palin 2012!
Chris
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The failing economy is apparently just a figment of our imagination,
fueled by "the left-wing media" and "Hussein Osama's people".
There is no evidence of any economic downturn!

Well, that's what I heard yesterday on an AM talk radio station, anyway...

Palin 2012!
Chris
Yet another good reason (besides all of the others) to avoid AM radio at all costs.

Jer
01-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Circuit City was my second job in the US (early 90's), Mobile Electronics and Installation, that is where I've learned how to apply my DIY skills to building custom car stereo systems and learned a good bit about consumer electronics in general. Back in those day, CC and Crutchfield were the places to go to selection when it came to car audio and home entertainment.

When the time came for me to give a try to my first DSLR, I went back to CC again, I remember seeing Pentax at the store, but I was told that Canon is the only way to go. So I "listened"... And after only 6 months, I sold it moving on to Pentax.

I can only tell you this, back in the early 90's, while all sales people were on commission, we were required to have extensive knowledge of every product we sold, features, specs, complete operation, how did it compare to any other model in the store or on the market. We often had factory reps coming over with new products and demos so we can have hands on experience with products from Carver, JBL, Infinity and such. I had great fun learning and I was always confident in my knowledge of everything about the product I was selling and installing into customer's cars.

On the other hand, when Best Buy opened stores with "non-commission" employees, I personally never felt that I was given knowledgeable advise on anything in their stores, aside from "Pioneer is the best" or something along those lines. Though I must admit it has gotten much better over the years.

Kinda sad to see it go, memories are there, but that's life

Regards,
D

01-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

A member of P.net posted that he got some new computer gear at his local CC store yesterday. The 'deal' was 10% off and he asked for better. The salesperson dropped another 25% off the discount price. Before the stock is gone. Mike R might be right, get your computer stuff now.

Duh Vinci, my experience was the same years ago. Small 11 store chain here in the east coast. I worked there 9 years and learned a ton the same way. We were all on commission. Made very good money for a few years. Then both the retailers and manufacturers started to "eat their young" as we used to say. Everyone dropped their drawers to get a deal and margins went from 30-40 pts to 10. You can't pay staff or the rent at 10. Most of those stores are closed now and the few remaining ones are on life support which isn't working. In this area, Future shop (Best Buy) will be the only game in town.

Sad for kids looking for work and the consumer in general. Like Walmart, if there is only one game in town, service, quality, selection and competition will suffer.
01-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
When the time came for me to give a try to my first DSLR, I went back to CC again, I remember seeing Pentax at the store, but I was told that Canon is the only way to go. So I "listened"... And after only 6 months, I sold it moving on to Pentax.
Before deciding on which DSLR I wanted to purchase, I went to our local Best Buy. I was given the same advice.... Nikon is ok, but Canon is better. Found only one place in this area that sells Pentax and went to check them out. I was sold! Only difference is, he's still selling them for $699.99 whereas I can get it online for cheaper.
01-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
If the store closings in Atlanta are any indication of what the rest of the closings will be like, then you can all save your time and money for and just continue to shop Amazon, Adorama and the like. CC closed all their stores in Atlanta in their first round of closures, the sales people cared even less about customer service (probably to be expected), the merchandise was actually marked UP and then the discounts started from there. Oh, and they wouldn't even let me open a box to ensure the product was actually in the box (it felt too light to me) even though there was a huge sign saying all sales were 100% final. There were a few decent deals on filters though...
Yeah, I went to the CC in Snellville and it was a huge disappointment. They had "huge markdowns" on all the camera gear, but somehow after 25-30% off the beat up display model it was still cheaper to get the same thing brand new from Amazon...
01-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
... after 25-30% off the beat up display model it was still cheaper to get the same thing brand new from Amazon...
No kidding! I stopped by one in our town this morning, a "whopping" 10% off the highest retail prices...

Regards,
D
01-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A few years ago, Circuit City's management had the great idea to fire all the store employees with experience and high pay, to replace them with new hires at just above minimum wage. Even though this idea clearly failed, I expect to see other brilliant managers try it before I see management fire themselves and hire people with common sense for 30% less salary.
01-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Isn't it ironic how all these business are suddenly closing doors and laying off people just before Obama become president. I don't think there is any coincidence.
01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah, I went to the CC in Snellville and it was a huge disappointment. They had "huge markdowns" on all the camera gear, but somehow after 25-30% off the beat up display model it was still cheaper to get the same thing brand new from Amazon...
I just came from the CC in Nashville, and it was the same thing. Even with the discounts, everything was more expensive. Didn't matter since they didn't have anything Pentax.