Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Clunky is relative. It was the LEAST clunky camera I had ever used at that time. I probably have some old Kodachrome slides somewhere, but what are you trying to do. This here is Pentax Country sheepman, and Col Adam will cut off my buttons and insignia of rank, have me marched out of Ft. Pentax while the band plays The Rogue's March, and my name will be stricken from the rolls of the 1st Pentax Regiment. The first Mod ever dismissed from the Regiment.
However, if you agree to take my punishment ( a signed notarized statement, please) I will dig around.
I agree with Bill. I remember my Dad's camera and have handled the C3. It may be square (brick like?) and a little ungainly, but it is pretty compact and the controls are well-placed and easy to use. My folks have a few pictures taken with the camera and they look pretty good, though it is hard to tell from the small prints typical of the day.

Steve

01-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree with Bill. I remember my Dad's camera and have handled the C3. It may be square (brick like?) and a little ungainly, but it is pretty compact and the controls are well-placed and easy to use. My folks have a few pictures taken with the camera and they look pretty good, though it is hard to tell from the small prints typical of the day.

Steve
When I here C3, this is what I think they are supposed to look like!

01-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Are either of you implying that I'm OLD? My feelings are hurt. I'm going to go pout. I may tell on you to Adam. So there!!!
Who started this thread? I'm pouting at him too.
Well, I'm 53, my father would be 81, and he got it when he was 29

But if you are trading barbs on the internet you must be young in spirit!!
01-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first camera was one of those Polaroid Instamatics, the ones that you peeled out the picture with backing films and stuck it under your arm pit on a cold day to speed up onsite developing.

01-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

My first one was a Zenit ... don't remember the model. It was a nice toy to learn all the basics ... I am not sure I have ever learned those ... but the Zenit was a pretty loyal and robust fun-mate
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
My first camera was one of those Polaroid Instamatics, the ones that you peeled out the picture with backing films and stuck it under your arm pit on a cold day to speed up onsite developing.
Don't forget to put it in one of these first:

Attached Images

01-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hi All,
My first camera was a hand me down from a collection of gear that got passed on from my late great uncle. He used this during WW2 until he went MIA in Egypt in 1941.
It inspired me later to take up photography.

a small image from it. Some others are on flickr

06-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #38

My first 35 mm was the Ricoh XR1, 1978, completely manual. I used to practice estimating exposure in case the battery died. Best way to learn exposure. Couldn't do much today if your battery runs out!
Attached Images

06-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

My first camera was a free gift with the purchase of a one pound bag of barley sugar sweets (candies) for the princely sum of two shillings and sixpence (UK currency) back in 1967 and I was 10 years old at the time. It had a plastic body but a glass lens, shot 126 roll film and took surprisingly good photos for what it was. I still have lots of B & W prints (in a box in the closet) that were shot with that camera.
06-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

When I was little, I had some little instant camera (I don't remember the brand- Polaroid? It was a clear purple color.) and I would always borrow the family Yashica P&S for vacations and field trips. Then my family went digital with a Kodak Easyshare and my first real camera was the Pentax K-x.
06-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually started out with a Lubitel in 1970 or so but got my K1000 not long after in 1974
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
My first real camera was a hand-me-down Olympus Pen EE film cam from my father, however back then I wasn't that interested in Photography so that camera stayed in a box for quite some time. Took it out again after I started dabling with DSLRs
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first camera was a Retina I, bought used, I hasten to add! It had an uncoated f3.5 Ektar, Compur shutter 1 to 1/300, no flash synch and scale focusing. Truly a basic machine. Shutter still works fine at all speeds, sadly when I put it up some years ago I managed to leave a finger print on the lens, which has etched the surface. My very bad!