Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Walk up to her..Start drooling, bend over like the Hunch Back of Notre Dam and say, "Hey Baby, I can make you a star!!! Meet me at my place at 3 AM to do a casting on my special "Casting Couch" and bring some whipped cream!"

That always works for me.

01-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Walk up to her..Start drooling, bend over like the Hunch Back of Notre Dam and say, "Hey Baby, I can make you a star!!! Meet me at my place at 3 AM to do a casting on my special "Casting Couch" and bring some whipped cream!"

maybe in france!

(below the belt for some, i know, deal with it)
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've had some "pending" success with Craigslist, and I also use ModelMayhem. I say "pending" because I haven't shot any of the models from CL yet.
01-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh gawd - Craigslist... for posts in the Buffalo/Rochester area, half of the posts I see there are either downright horridly written, or flat out dubious in their intent.

You also never know what you're going to get...

I agree with the business card and online portfolio approach. Make your business card professional, no clip art, no combination of 14 fonts, no cool taglines like "We shoot you right" and no whacko names like "Foto Magikal Momentz Photography"

Keep it simple - on the card use your name or last name, contact info, and tell them you would like to photograph them for your portfolio, you think they would make a good subject, to contact you if interested. Perhaps tell them you would give them a free print or images on CD in trade. Perhaps offer a couple of prints in addition to a CDas an extra incentive.

01-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Frog,

That's a good way to approach it. I was also thinking about buying some double sided business cards and using 1 side for contact and company information and the other for a few (no more then 3) of my favorate shots. Not sure if this is a good approach. It did work for my DJ company.
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Damn Brit

Now you have met her once, if you go in a gain soon, she will hopefully recognise you. If you can take a couple of pictures of yours in to show her when you ask her if she would like to model, that would help break the ice.
01-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

About the three photos in the back of the business card thing - I've learned a lot from my graphic designer wife (hence the comment about the 14 fonts and "coolz" tag line comments, lol). The three photo thing can work for you or against you.

Not sure what you had in your DJ card, but remember it's a tiny piece of cardstock you're handing out. Put three photos on there and you're putting 1" images down - will you be able to see them at all? Will it do any justice to your work?

Instead do what Brit suggested - walk in with your portfolio in hand and show her the real deal.

Just don't act eager or needy - and definitely no whipped cream and no drooling!

01-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Here, maybe this will help: freetips

01-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Here, maybe this will help: freetips

LOL, is this advertising for you own personal help guide?...wonder how well it would really work...hmm doesn't really matter when you've already got a wife though. I won out with persistence and gentlemanly conduct! Oh well, whatever works!
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Just a couple of thoughts.
1. Whether you are being asked or doing the asking it DOES feel like dating - so talk to your wife first.
2. Your first suggestion should be to do some headshots. This is both re-assuring to the potential model that you won't be asking her to take her clothes off and it will give you a chance to get to know her and see what works (serious face; happy face; side profile; big eyes etc). Once you have done that you can start to discuss the next lingerie shoot .
3. If you're new to shooting models plan the shoot very carefully. Practice with the location/lighting conditions in the days before she arrives. Just "winging it" with unknown lighting conditions and suspect backdrops might work but its probably best to put some thought into it first.
01-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Just a couple of thoughts.
1. Whether you are being asked or doing the asking it DOES feel like dating - so talk to your wife first.
Yhere's a thought, get your wife to ask her. The girl will probably think you're swingers.
02-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

I like this advice