Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to ask for modeling

Hi everyone,

I was out this morning picking up some hardware from a local ACO store. When I went up to the counter to pay for my purchases I noticed how stiking the young lady was behind the register. Of course me being the amatur photographer I am (plus the fact that I don't have any money to pay for models) I starting thinking about talking to her about possibly modeling. I was about to ask her if she was interested when I started thinking what she might think of me (some stranger asking her to model and such). I ended up not asking her and kept kicking myself all day.

With this, I'm wondering, how would you approach someone in passing (not using a modeling agency or experienced models) about possibly modeling for a shoot? Just wondering?

01-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just be honest and up front. Don't gush over her telling her how great she looks, etc. Tell her you would like to photograph her and tell her if she likes, she can bring a friend (male or female) or relative. Some times you get lucky and the 'friend' is worth shooting too. Offer to meet her on her terms - that is at a location she is comfortable with. It also helps to have cards with your number on them. Be prepared to pay the going rate, unless you can work out something with photos instead of cash. It's been a LONG time since I shot any models in the Detroit area, but going rate was around $50 per hour, probably double that now.

And don't drool...
01-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Make yourself some sort of business card that you can hand out.
Now you are a PHOTOGRAPHER, not a GWC.

Don't ever ask a person if they have thought about modeling.
Tell the person you are interested in photographing her/him and hand over a card.
01-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tell them their hot, dont make eye contact, while the drool off your mouth with the palm of your hand then offer to shake their hand with that hand....

simple ingredients to success

01-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
tell them their hot, dont make eye contact, while the drool off your mouth with the palm of your hand then offer to shake their hand with that hand....

simple ingredients to success
truth

10char
01-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Since this is not an acquaintance or a friend perhaps you could get a small portfolio and a web link to give them to show you're not a crack-pot.
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't make any reference to the police looking for con artists posing as photographers

...but yes, agreed on the up front "ask" letting her know that you're an amateur but also offer a print(S) min 8x10 as payment.

01-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Don't make any reference to the police looking for con artists posing as photographers

...but yes, agreed on the up front "ask" letting her know that you're an amateur but also offer a print(S) min 8x10 as payment.
The present "pay" for amateur models on one of the forums I hang out on seems to be a CD with ready to print files. How many you put on is, of course, up for debate.
Any time I shoot TFCD I try to give the model a couple of dozen ready to use files.
01-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been working on this myself too. With the business card, so far 0% result. Then again, I've only handed it out once!
01-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I've been working on this myself too. With the business card, so far 0% result. Then again, I've only handed it out once!
your business card needs more bloodstains
01-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Make yourself some sort of business card that you can hand out.
Now you are a PHOTOGRAPHER, not a GWC.

Don't ever ask a person if they have thought about modeling.
Tell the person you are interested in photographing her/him and hand over a card.
Interesting tip. So something like, "I just wanted to say that you're very beautiful. I'd love to take pictures of you sometime. Here's my card with a link to my portfolio." ?
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Interesting tip. So something like, "I just wanted to say that you're very beautiful. I'd love to take pictures of you sometime. Here's my card with a link to my portfolio." ?
Pretty much that's it.
Stay very low key with it. You may only get a 1 in 20 hit ratio, but if you hand out half a dozen cards a day, you will be shooting every weekend.
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These posts look like they are from a dating advice forum...

"How to approach women with serious intention without looking/feeling/being a total dweeb"

Steve
01-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

"How to approach women with serious intention without looking/feeling/being a total dweeb"

Steve
I've done model searching. You have no idea how close you are to the truth.
01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
You are very close to the truth. I feel like I'm asking for a date when I'm already married. It just feels weird but I can't afford to pay for a model to come in. For example, I had a friend ask some models at a wedding fashion show if they were interested in having me photograph them and they told him that they were professionals and the going rate was like $250 per hour. I definately can't afford that.