Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Hey at least we're honest about it. We're just having fun and it's a good release among friends no matter what our political biases. After the argueing, posturing etc we are all still friends.
Your "friendly" sniping makes this a worse photography board.

I'll talk politics all day long, but the politics stay in politically oriented forums. Lots of people come here to relax and get away from that crap. You and your "friends" ruin that for those people.

When you view new posts, and the politics threads are at the top in a forum not about politics, it gets tired very quickly. Add in sigs that cause off topic hits on common searches, and it gets even more annoying. (just because someone owns a particular lens, doesn't mean the thread is about it, which is an entire other rant of why you shouldn't list your gear library in your sig, but hey).

I appreciate the concept of a general talk forum, but think the world might be a better place if once could exclude it from the view new posts search.

And that is assuming you have actual polite and rational discourse on political subjects, which I have seen here many times. However, it is vastly outnumbered by the childish sniping that doesn't rise much above a 4 year old calling someone a doodie-head. Lots of it is from Obama fans. I suspect as the year progresses, we'll have less of it from the bad winners, and more of it from the bad losers, but either way count me as one of those who find it annoying.

Personally, my advice is that if it is about politics, and you don't have a picture to go with it that you personally took, take it to the democratic underground of free republic as fits your politics and your desire to have an argument or lots of agreement.

01-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I agree with Stewart in regards that discourse about politics may be more civil in Europe and other parts of the world. I think one reason that most discussions about politics in the United States degrade into sniping is lack of choices. In other contries there are multiple parties that have followings here in the US there really are only 2 parties. These 2 parties have become so marginalized that there is no real discourse between the members of the parties. The Democrats dislike the Republicans and vice versa if for no other reason than because of party affiliation. I dont think this will change in the near future I hope it does but I really am not holding my breath on it
01-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote

But that tendency to openly discuss politics and religion goes far beyond Germany into most other European countries as well. While vacationing in Spain, Italy, or Greece, it's not at all uncommon to hear similar discussions at roadside cafes or bars. English pubs are well noted for their discussions about politics and more, as are many Scandinavian pubs. And I suspect some Americans would be quite shocked by some of the things written in internet forums here. Heated discussion are relatively rare (not unheard of, but rare), with outright arguments even less so. Most just exchange a few messages to make or defend their points and then move on to other topics before the discussion escalates into something more than just that.

stewart
Yes, most people in the US are very uptight about discussing issues considered "touchy", such as politics and religion (especially the latter!). I grew up in Italy and moved here in my late 20's, 18 years ago, so I have experience with both attitudes. Personally I find that if Americans engaged more in live political discussions, even heated ones, with each other, rather than just always listening to reinforcing opinions from like-minded individuals (or even worse, media like talk radio and partisan web sites and TV channels), much of the acrimony would dissipate. I bear no grudge to conservatives, even the wacky kind, but I am often appalled by the ignorance of basic, verifiable facts. When people allow a small number of media outlets to have a monopoly on their brain, only GIGO happens.

Anyway, this reminds of a personal anecdote - the first time my American wife-to-be (very proper, daughter of a minister) came to visit my family in Italy, one night she watched my mom shake her fist at me and loudly call me a "communist". My wife panicked, took me aside and asked me if she had just witnessed a major family crisis. I told her that was a routine after dinner conversation, and that in our family real fighting only begins when dishware starts flying.
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #34
racinsince55

A shame that Adam didn't see fit to close this thread at the same time he closed the thread benjikan started.

I strongly agree with raz-o

01-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
A shame that Adam didn't see fit to close this thread at the same time he closed the thread benjikan started.

I strongly agree with raz-o
This thread has stayed a bit more civil than that thread, though. While we've been doing some venting, it has kept a nicer tone and nobody has been really sharpening the knives...

That said, however, it probably *is* time to close the thread, I think just about everything has been said that needed saying. Adam, would you please do the honors?

Jim
01-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
I told her that was a routine after dinner conversation, and that in our family real fighting only begins when dishware starts flying.
Yes, I can vouch for this. I'm married to an Italian.
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Closed due to the request of thread starter.

Closed Thread