Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can we please call a halt to all the political BS from both sides of the fence?

I know that bitching about politics is an American national pastime, more popular than baseball, football, and apple pie, but can we just call a freakin' halt to putting it into a forum where we ought to be talking focal lengths and lenses and camera stuff?

The responses from a number of hardcore posters on BOTH sides of our political divide lately have left me with a great desire to just

Those on the left side of the fence, please show some respect for Mr Bush as he departs. Those on the right side of the fence, please give President Obama a chance before lighting the fires to roast him on the stake. Those in other countries, PLEASE try to keep it civil and not post a bunch of gratuitous insults like the supposed letter. It's really not all that funny, regardless of your political stance.

PLEASE, can we go back to talking about cameras?

Jim (who has voted for both Bush and Obama)

01-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

Nope
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
doubt it.........
01-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Unlikely, and I never talk politics. It's just too stupid. And embarassing.

01-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Nope
Yes, well, color me surprised...

QuoteOriginally posted by Suzu Quote
doubt it.........
I gotta try. Hopeless though it may be.

Jim
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

Hey at least we're honest about it. We're just having fun and it's a good release among friends no matter what our political biases. After the argueing, posturing etc we are all still friends.
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
Yes, well, color me surprised...

I gotta try. Hopeless though it may be.

Jim
Can't hurt to try
01-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey at least we're honest about it. We're just having fun and it's a good release among friends no matter what our political biases. After the argueing, posturing etc we are all still friends.
See, that is the problem. I am not quite convinced that we do remain friends with all of the arguments flying back & forth. I truly feel that every comment about how "X is responsible for ___" and "____ is a lie" and "The ____ Party is evil because they're gonna ___" takes a little bit of our civility away and replaces it with a bitter sense of divided partisanship. Do that enough, and the half-in-jest barbed comments between friends become sharpened spears aimed at the other guy with intent to go for the vitals.

And, my feeling is, WE'RE BETTER THAN THAT. I would like to see ALL of us try to live up to our best ideals rather than be average folks who give in to the temptation to put in a snide remark or a sarcastic response or a political comment. I try, granted I don't always succeed, but I try...

Jim

01-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

I don't know. Me and Gary (Damn Brit) got into it heavy during the election and I still consider him a great friend and still have great respect for his opinions. It's kind of like with family, me and my sister may go at it cats and dogs, but we still love each other.
01-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Change we can believe in
I won't be convinced until he walks on water and parts the Potomac.
01-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I won't be convinced until he walks on water and parts the Potomac.
C'mon now Blue he's the Messiah, the ObamaChrist, the Annointed One.
01-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

its all fun and games until someone uses the report button

i say if you're going to go into a loaded debate (i mean honestly, was anyone expecting a copy of a real letter written by bush to obama and leaving on the table HAHA!!)

then you should be able to take the heat, and if you cant take the heat, you walk out and pick a different battle.
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
its all fun and games until someone uses the report button

i say if you're going to go into a loaded debate (i mean honestly, was anyone expecting a copy of a real letter written by bush to obama and leaving on the table HAHA!!)

then you should be able to take the heat, and if you cant take the heat, you walk out and pick a different battle.
Leaving nobody to make an attempt at turning down the burner. Sorry, but even though it's futile I will still plead for civility.

It's not a matter of being able to take heat, it's a matter of thinking the heat should be turned down.

I am very much aware that the letter posted wasn't real. It was an attempt at humor (a fairly lame attempt, IMO) that was also a gratuitous parting shot at a man who has had one of the world's toughest jobs.

Jim
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

See, that is the problem. I am not quite convinced that we do remain friends with all of the arguments flying back & forth. I truly feel that every comment about how "X is responsible for ___" and "____ is a lie" and "The ____ Party is evil because they're gonna ___" takes a little bit of our civility away and replaces it with a bitter sense of divided partisanship. Do that enough, and the half-in-jest barbed comments between friends become sharpened spears aimed at the other guy with intent to go for the vitals.

And, my feeling is, WE'RE BETTER THAN THAT. I would like to see ALL of us try to live up to our best ideals rather than be average folks who give in to the temptation to put in a snide remark or a sarcastic response or a political comment. I try, granted I don't always succeed, but I try...

Jim
You know Cyclone, it is for very similar reasons that I'm considering dumping Facebook. I have friends that I would like to keep up with with many different political opinions and honestly, I hate to see some of the bile that some of them post or the idiotic groups that they join.

The nice thing about the General Talk forum here is that it can be pretty well ignored if you chose to do so. I avoid most of the posts with political subject lines in this forum, but every now and them one interests me. I would love to see the photos that come from our posters who attended the inauguration. If we didn't have a General forum here just think of where all that junk would end up!
01-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Jim
Personally, I hold no grudges against anyone here who's posted political viewpoints opposite of mine - even if the discussion gets heated, later on in another part of the forum I'll just be reminded how much we actually have in common.

But yeah, trying to keep cheap shots to a minimum during these discussions is just a good idea in general.

Closed Thread