Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #31
graphicgr8s

Now I am truly scared. Gus I have sold my um condo yeah that's it and am moving to Botswania.

For Damn Brit

:ugh:

01-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
Igilligan

Be very afraid....

Cause I am out there... Hiding...

01-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
graphicgr8s

Not skeered any more. Got my bodyguard.

So when do we get back to politics?
01-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

So when do we get back to politics?
I would like to say, "2012". But the way this last election went I suppose people will start running for that election sometime later this spring.

After a year and a half of folks campaigning for the presidency, I'm just glad it's all over (for a while).

01-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I would like to say, "2012". But the way this last election went I suppose people will start running for that election sometime later this spring.

After a year and a half of folks campaigning for the presidency, I'm just glad it's all over (for a while).
Eh, you're too naive. Palin's already running, clearly.
01-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #36
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Actually Obama started campaigning with his inaugural speech. Closing GTMO? Kinda stupid actually. Not ready for C-I-C yet he is C-I-C
01-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Actually Obama started campaigning with his inaugural speech. Closing GTMO? Kinda stupid actually. Not ready for C-I-C yet he is C-I-C
Well, as currently vehemently argued by the republican media, the Bush's administration procedures to determine which Gitmo detainees should be kept there indefinitely, with no trial or hearing or a chance to face the evidence against them, and which ones could be made free by a simple administrative decision, have failed miserably, since (allegedly) several released detainees have since joined terrorist organizations, including one possibly becoming a high-level alQaeda leader. (Truth be told, the evidence of this is scant - apparently 3 detainees were listed as having "rejoined the battlefield" because they were in a documentary critical of the Bush administration's Guantanamo policy!)

But be that as it may, and accepting for the sake or argument the claims of the conservative media on the fate of released Gitmo prisoners, Obama's policy of coming up with defined procedures to have all current detainees face a hearing, may be accused of naivete and being based on ideals rather that the harsh reality of counter-terrorism, but can't be significantly less successful than Bush's (again, by the conservatives' own admission), and at least it is legal and does not violate human rights.

01-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Let's see. When they were in Traq they lived in caves and ate whatever. In Gitmo they get 3 hots and a cot. Plus a roof over their head. And the prisoners they capture get ummmm oh yeah bheaded, head chopped off and left to roll on the ground. These scum are treated better than they ever were in their homeland.
01-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Well, as currently vehemently argued by the republican media, the Bush's administration procedures to determine which Gitmo detainees should be kept there indefinitely, with no trial or hearing or a chance to face the evidence against them, and which ones could be made free by a simple administrative decision, have failed miserably, since (allegedly) several released detainees have since joined terrorist organizations, including one possibly becoming a high-level alQaeda leader. (Truth be told, the evidence of this is scant - apparently 3 detainees were listed as having "rejoined the battlefield" because they were in a documentary critical of the Bush administration's Guantanamo policy!)

But be that as it may, and accepting for the sake or argument the claims of the conservative media on the fate of released Gitmo prisoners, Obama's policy of coming up with defined procedures to have all current detainees face a hearing, may be accused of naivete and being based on ideals rather that the harsh reality of counter-terrorism, but can't be significantly less successful than Bush's (again, by the conservatives' own admission), and at least it is legal and does not violate human rights.
Several of those detainees are being tried for their roles in 9/11. Maybe the Bush system wasn't perfect. But it is better than the Barry system. "Be free and please like us." Why do people keep calling Bush a conservative? I thought he was fairly week choice for President in 2000 with his only experience being Gov. of Texas. Now we have a guy with no experience in anything but campaigning for office and talking with bumper sticker slogans. Frankly, both the political parties in the country are out of control and have their own "wag the dog" agendas.

I agree with Teddy Roosevelt. When the call the roll in the Senate, they don't know whether to say "Present" or "Not Guilty."
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Several of those detainees are being tried for their roles in 9/11. Maybe the Bush system wasn't perfect. But it is better than the Barry system. "Be free and please like us." Why do people keep calling Bush a conservative? I thought he was fairly week choice for President in 2000 with his only experience being Gov. of Texas. Now we have a guy with no experience in anything but campaigning for office and talking with bumper sticker slogans. Frankly, both the political parties in the country are out of control and have their own "wag the dog" agendas.

I agree with Teddy Roosevelt. When the call the roll in the Senate, they don't know whether to say "Present" or "Not Guilty."
Well Obama sure knows "present" having recited it over 100 times instead of actually voting. Wonder what he'll do now?

We should just shoot em all and start over. You can annoint me president. I'll fix the problem.
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JavaJoe Quote
Let's see. When they were in Traq they lived in caves and ate whatever. In Gitmo they get 3 hots and a cot. Plus a roof over their head. And the prisoners they capture get ummmm oh yeah bheaded, head chopped off and left to roll on the ground. These scum are treated better than they ever were in their homeland.
Let's be serious now. Gitmo detainees have committed suicide, others have been diagnosed with psychiatric illness following the abuse and harsh conditions they endured. Several were tortured. This is not something to joke about.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Several of those detainees are being tried for their roles in 9/11. Maybe the Bush system wasn't perfect. But it is better than the Barry system. "Be free and please like us."
That is, of course, not the policy Obama has implemented. The policy is to end indefinite detention, giving every detainee a trial. If there is evidence that detainees committed terrorist acts, as I am sure there is, they will be tried and convicted.
QuoteQuote:
Why do people keep calling Bush a conservative? I thought he was fairly week choice for President in 2000 with his only experience being Gov. of Texas.
Maybe because he called himself a conservative, his senior administration members called themselves conservatives, the principles that they worked to implement were classical conservative principles (lower taxes especially for the rich, pro-business anti-environmentalism, social conservatism, aggressive militaristic foreign policy, etc), the Republican conservatives in congress supported all of his policies until they were threatened with electoral annihilation for doing so, and the conservative media fawned over him and his agenda until it became clear to everyone except the most obtuse among us that they were a complete and utter failure. Other than that , I guess the Bush administration was not really conservative.
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

We should just shoot em all and start over. You can annoint me president. I'll fix the problem.
Really? Because even by the Pentagon's own rather partial accounting, 90% of the several hundred released Gitmo detainees not only have not engaged in terrorist activities since release, but were innocent to begin with. You'd really just shoot them all just to get rid of the problem?
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe because he called himself a conservative, his senior administration
members called themselves conservatives, the principles that they worked to
implement were classical conservative principles (lower taxes especially for the
rich, pro-business anti-environmentalism, social conservatism, aggressive
militaristic foreign policy, etc), the Republican conservatives in congress
supported all of his policies until they were threatened with electoral annihilation
for doing so, and the conservative media fawned over him and his agenda until it
became clear to everyone except the most obtuse among us that they were a
complete and utter failure. Other than that , I guess the Bush administration was
not really conservative

Oh, snap!

01-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's be serious now. Gitmo detainees have committed suicide, others have been diagnosed with psychiatric illness following the abuse and harsh conditions they endured. Several were tortured. This is not something to joke about.

I'm not joking about it. A couple of my best friends are officers (scientists) and have done multiple tours in Iraq and Afghan. As far as committing suicide goes, that is what the guys in the planes were doing during 9/11.

That is, of course, not the policy Obama has implemented. The policy is to end indefinite detention, giving every detainee a trial. If there is evidence that detainees committed terrorist acts, as I am sure there is, they will be tried and convicted. Maybe because he called himself a conservative, his senior administration members called themselves conservatives, the principles that they worked to implement were classical conservative principles (lower taxes especially for the rich, pro-business anti-environmentalism, social conservatism, aggressive militaristic foreign policy, etc), the Republican conservatives in congress supported all of his policies until they were threatened with electoral annihilation for doing so, and the conservative media fawned over him and his agenda until it became clear to everyone except the most obtuse among us that they were a complete and utter failure. Other than that , I guess the Bush administration was not really conservative.
It hasn't been the conservative republicans that have been annihilated as you put it but the liberal and moderate ones like McCain. The irony is that most political types don't understand the terms liberal and conservative in the strict sense. Those words have become curse words up there with s.o.b. and b**tard.

As far as this silly dogma that the extreme left has cooked up that being pro-business or pro agriculture is automatically anti-environment is ridiculous. For example, the NY film maker that is coming out with a movie called King Corn is pushing for the Obama USDA Secretary to move our Agricultural system to organic farms around the cities to feed their respective cities under the auspices of sustainability. I'm amazed that they teach this stuff in film school. I guess they missed the lectures about Thomas Malthus' 1798 Essay about the human population having exponential growth and ability to out strip the carrying capacity (K) of the Earth. Our land grant system and modern agriculture has been constantly increasing K since the 1860s. Now some movie pin heads want to move us back to subsistence farming that was not working around Boston, NYC, Philadelphia in 1798. Our Agricultural system is just as important to the survival of the U.S. as our Military. Organic and sustainability aren't necessarily the same and their web site is full of partial truths and out and out lies.

King Corn documentary review - Featured Article - Sustainable Table
01-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Oh, snap!

Wait til I get started!

As of December 2008, a striking 72% of self-proclaimed "conservative Republicans" STILL approved of Bush - the only population subset to do so. They had not gotten the memo yet, I guess.

Gallup daily tracking December 1-9, 2008