Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Igilligan
Guest




Now I am just sad...

I just went to post this in reply to cyclonebanddad's thread about Political BS, and when I went to hit send... It was closed! Right after I had gone all mushy about how much I love that this forum allows for this type of debate... Now I am sad and little mad. I think we have been a bit too heavy handed of late, is it just me or has the more tolerent tone of the forum been changing?

But I will post it anyway... If you want to close this one, go ahead... Or better yet just delete it. I leave it up to the more moderate folks to decide.


My best friend for 35 years is a raving, rightwing, religious, republican. I think he would describe me as a Loopy, leftwingnut Loving, Libertarian.
We have full-on raised voice discussions that sound more like Big Time Wrestling than the Sunday point / counter point shows. We see the world in opposite shades. We can go on and on at each other, with out ever changing the others mind about anything. For us it is a release, a chance to vent about things that neither one of us has any control over.

But in our world where our families and friends reside, politics is really just a small chunk of the potoato. And in our world, we are the best of friends. Would do anything for the other. And we will continue to great friends even if he is so wrong!

I will say though, we no longer have our dueling dogma matches with in earshot of our spouses... we are idiots, but we know what is good for us!

I love the fact the this forum allows for some debate and a bit of dueling dogma stuff. Unlike the other 'amazon' forum that will pull any thread or photo if it even hints at being controversial. As with any open dialog, Name calling can and will be part of that sometimes... but it just a small chunk of the tater. What we have in common should be strong enough to make it a 'Sticks and Stones' thing. And we move on to share tips and pics

You can call me names over my views, just please don't ignore my cat photos...
THAT REALLY HURTS!

01-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Igilligan
Guest




The Jokes on me...

Now I read that CycloneBandDad requested that his thread be closed...

I definately just went from sad to sadly mad... Have we always let the thread starter decide when their thread should be closed? Or is this a new developement?

Nothing but love
gus
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
graphicgr8s
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I just went to post this in reply to cyclonebanddad's thread about Political BS, and when I went to hit send... It was closed! Right after I had gone all mushy about how much I love that this forum allows for this type of debate... Now I am sad and little mad. I think we have been a bit too heavy handed of late, is it just me or has the more tolerent tone of the forum been changing?

But I will post it anyway... If you want to close this one, go ahead... Or better yet just delete it. I leave it up to the more moderate folks to decide.


My best friend for 35 years is a raving, rightwing, religious, republican. I think he would describe me as a Loopy, leftwingnut Loving, Libertarian.
We have full-on raised voice discussions that sound more like Big Time Wrestling than the Sunday point / counter point shows. We see the world in opposite shades. We can go on and on at each other, with out ever changing the others mind about anything. For us it is a release, a chance to vent about things that neither one of us has any control over.

But in our world where our families and friends reside, politics is really just a small chunk of the potoato. And in our world, we are the best of friends. Would do anything for the other. And we will continue to great friends even if he is so wrong!

I will say though, we no longer have our dueling dogma matches with in earshot of our spouses... we are idiots, but we know what is good for us!

I love the fact the this forum allows for some debate and a bit of dueling dogma stuff. Unlike the other 'amazon' forum that will pull any thread or photo if it even hints at being controversial. As with any open dialog, Name calling can and will be part of that sometimes... but it just a small chunk of the tater. What we have in common should be strong enough to make it a 'Sticks and Stones' thing. And we move on to share tips and pics

You can call me names over my views, just please don't ignore my cat photos...
THAT REALLY HURTS!
Well I agree with you on forum. It is a relaxed place. But just to keep people happy I am posting a picture of a spent Christmas Cactus flower. And I won't call you names either. Now Damn Brit, That's another story. (Just kidding Gary.)

I won't ignore your cat photos if you don't ignore my dog shots.
Attached Images
 
01-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Igilligan
Guest




I accept your Christmas Cactus even with it's religious overtones...

And offer you a rusty, abandoned chandelier... with all it's 'Decline of American Society' implications...




Last edited by Igilligan; 01-22-2009 at 05:08 PM.
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I accept your Christmas Cactus even with it religious overtones...

And offer your a rusty. abandoned chandelier... with all it's 'Decline of American Society' implications... (snip)

Very creative response, gus.

stewart
01-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I just went to post this in reply to cyclonebanddad's thread about Political BS, and when I went to hit send... It was closed! (snip)

And, sadly, the thread was closed just as it was getting started in something of particular interest to those of us with international experiences, while I would have certainly liked to have heard more about those experiences.

stewart
01-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
heatherslightbox's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,600
"Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...?"
YouTube - WAR - WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS

Let's look beyond who we vote for and see the good in each other and "focus" on that.

Heather
01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,277
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
"Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...?"
YouTube - WAR - WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS

Let's look beyond who we vote for and see the good in each other and "focus" on that.

Heather
VOTE? I vote for Adam...

01-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
graphicgr8s
Guest




Ya know, after thinking about this post I have come to a profound realization. And guys, you're forgetting the pictures! You've got to at least post one. Just one.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Gus, it's its not it's. It's the possessive not the contraction.

I warned you.

Hey Damn Brit you remember what started this:

For Damn Brit
?

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 01-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Igilligan
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Ya know, after thinking about this post I have come to a profound realization. And guys, you're forgetting the pictures! You've got to at least post one. Just one.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Gus, it's its not it's. It's the possessive not the contraction.

Sh its graphicgr8s

you are - your - you're right!

But do not try and twist what I am saying...
01-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
graphicgr8s
Guest




You're funny. Too funny. You're all tied up in knots
01-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Hey Elwood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Highland, MI
Posts: 336
I do have to add my point to this entire conversation...the United States was such an awesome country when it was founded because we could talk politics and religion in the public square. If you really think about it, when the US was new Men tended to hang around the taverns and talk politics and religion. They couldn't discuss how badly the Detoit Lions were doing or the Red Wings win the night before. They talked politics.

Today we have swayed away from that. It seems as though we can't have an opinion or talk about something that might hurt someone's feelings or go against popular opinion...which is weird because it goes against the first amendment of the US constitution. As US citizens, we have the right to freedom of speech (that includes Christians...such as myself).

Sometimes it feels as though the public is constently bashing Christians and Christians aren't allowed to express their opinions because it isn't popular. Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about.

1. A few months ago at a gay rally in California (regarding proposal 8) a 60+ year old woman was peacefully showing her feelings on the proposal by carrying a large styrofome cross. A news anchor was trying to interview her when a huge band of gay activists surrounded her. They screamed at this 60 year old lady, knocked the cross from her hands, trampled on it, called her names, rediculed Jesus, and on and on. Now did anyone come to her aid, did any police official come over and try to break this up, was she allowed to peacefully demonstrate...no. I bet this is the first time many of you have even heard about this. I can even find the audio of this if you would like.

2. I continuelly see bumper stickers aound saying "Coexist" on cars. Everytime I see these I want to say to the driver "That applies to all religions except Christianty right?

3. Government is forcing christians to take down any religious artifact in public squares...even if the facility is a Christian run facility.

I can keep going on and on.

I can also see this with those who are Republicans. It seems as though if you are a republican and you have something to say you are immediately kicked off, your thread is deleted, people won't allow you to speak. But if you are a Liberial...everything is all well and dandy. I don't know...these are just the things that I see. I think if the United States went back to the what it was founded on (such as freedom of speach as it was intended) then things would be a lot better.

But of course that is my personal opinion.

And now that I've ranted here are a few pictures that will hopefully lift some spirits...no pun intended.







"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
01-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
graphicgr8s
Guest




Hey Elwood, (from the Blues Brothers?) First, it's only one picture per person. I am the dictator of this part.

You are totally correct. It is the "politically correct" thing.
You can talk about any religion well except Christianity. And I too am a Christian.

Here's another thing to just ponder. Smoking. The government keeps touting about quitting when that's the last thing they really want. It's their biggest cash cow. I know, it has really nothing to do with this thread but I just felt like adding it.

Shoot. Mad Cow is killing me. I had come to this great realization and now I can't remember what it was.
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
graphicgr8s
Guest




Wait now I remember what it was.
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Hey Elwood's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Highland, MI
Posts: 336
hey graphic,

Sorry I only post 1 photo next time. Didn't know the rules
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, forum, friends, love, post, thread, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sad jeffkrol General Talk 1 11-06-2010 03:05 PM
Help! I'm very sad! enrique Welcomes and Introductions 7 11-03-2010 07:55 PM
Am I sad, or what? Richard Spencer Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 04-15-2010 01:30 AM
Sad with K-7 fulcrumx29 Pentax DSLR Discussion 45 08-17-2009 07:44 AM
Sad ship planedriver Post Your Photos! 2 04-03-2009 10:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top