Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
anyone use an eee pc?

Just wondering if anyone is using an asus eeepc?

They seem to look tough and since they use SSD for bulk storage, they are less prone to damage due to vibrations and jerks.

Anyone feel the eee pc is a good tool for photography in the field?

01-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I work in a computer store and I've had the opportunity to use numerous netbooks. Out of these, the Eee line is my least favourite as far as specs go. Sure an SSD sounds nice, but it is horribly horribly tiny and nearly useless IMO.

Netbooks run best on Linux. For fast reviewing and quick editing, RAW Therapee or ufraw works like a charm.
01-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The eeepc 701 is now selling less than A$300 now. What do you think of this particular model?
01-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I used EEPC as well. The problem is the small size C drive that is of small hard drive storage.

Most of the notebook comes in divded hard disc and allows little C drive space. So not that photography friendly. Easy to do checking emails outdoor in cafe

01-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yes I have one, have had the 7" and now the 8.9"... They are great for holding email and web browsing when out and about (share 3g internet off my phone)... But I found the screen too small and procecssing power too low for photo processing..

Good to view them if you take JPEGs, but hopeless to process RAW files IMO...
01-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm....so not that useful then....i think i will skip then But it is small and cute
01-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
The eeepc 701 is now selling less than A$300 now. What do you think of this particular model?
I have very good vision, yet I found it hard to look at that tiny screen for more than 5 minutes without getting a headache.

01-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the info. I am glad I didn't rush to get one over the internet and then regret it later
01-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love my eee for schoolwork, but it's pretty hopeless for photowork, just echoing the previous responses I guess
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking at one in Best Buy last weekend. They had the Linux ones for 199$. I have considered getting one for lightweight travel photo viewing and possibly some editing (it had Picasa loaded on it). The screen is small but larger than the portable photo storage/viewer units Epson sells and half the price. Maybe to expand on Raiders question...would an Eeepc be worthwhile for viewing, maybe some very basic editing in Picasa and a means to email some pictures while on a trip or is it a cheap piece of crap? I'm thinking more of very light travel on a motorcycle and camping where size, weight, etc. make a difference, I already have a laptop.
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use one for carrying with me on meetings and for travels. I have the very first version. In my opinion, the 7" screen is a bit small, and the resolution (800x480) way too small for viewing/editing pictures. The touch pad and keyboard is also kinda awkward. However, I've tested the newer versions, and they are much better. Although a bit expensive, the newest 1000 version(10" screen and 1024x600) also packs quite a bit of processing power with the new Atom processor.
It would make a great traveling companion. I've dropped mine in the floor several times, and it still keeps on going. This is the big advantage with the SSD, although you loose quite a bit of storage space.
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one I looked at was the newest version. It had SD card slot and I was thinking it would be usable as a photo viewer and other stuff also. Next to it was a HP Netbook running Windows XP and it looked really sweet but its 400$. That 199 price tag makes it really tempting. The guy in the store wasn't too open to the idea of letting me stick one of my cards in and seeing if it would do what I want.
01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Depends on what you mean by "some pictures" and "basic editing"

If some: 1 to 5 per day, spending a maximum of 40 minutes then yes. More than that and you'll just be pulling your hairs out because of the tiny screen and resolution.

and if basic editing: cropping, resizing then yes. More than that and you'll again just be pulling your hair out.

If you have specific thing with picasa that you want to test out, I can do it for you with my 700. I have windows xp installed on it btw and it runs superb for my purposes (doesn't include photo editing and raw converting, just mostly typing and browsing)
01-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Inactive Account

if u luv tyupin msgs li9ke thiswhhilke wearin mitenz, ull luv a eee pc

They're cute, yes. I like the idea that you could use one like an Opsat, strapped to your write.

But you like typing, look elsewhere.

Really small keyboard.

Really, really, really small keyboard. And probably a bit underpowered for Photoshop or the Pentax Picture Browser (whatever it's called.)
01-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
if u luv tyupin msgs li9ke thiswhhilke wearin mitenz, ull luv a eee pc

They're cute, yes. I like the idea that you could use one like an Opsat, strapped to your write.

But you like typing, look elsewhere.

Really small keyboard.

Really, really, really small keyboard. And probably a bit underpowered for Photoshop or the Pentax Picture Browser (whatever it's called.)
I have an Asus EeePC 901, which is the highest optioned model in the 8.9" line, it has the 1.6Ghz Atom processor. I can touch type just fine on it, I am right now, it did take some adjustment though, then again every new keyboard is an adjustment even on desktops.

I don't run Photoshop, since I don't run Windows, but GIMP runs just great and I am able to do most of my editing without much of a problem as long as I have an external mouse. It does OK with RAW files too, it is a little slow, but not unbearable. It is about like using an average 3 year old laptop.

This little Eee has replaced my full sized laptop without much compromise. You can get many different models, they have hard drive based ones that have up to 160gb of storage, they have 10" screen models that have very close to a full sized keyboard. There are some new models coming out soon from Asus with touchscreens and I think one doubles as a tablet.