Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #1

Schlieren photography

Any one out there doing this? Al la Schlieren photography. My boss is interested in equipment and techniques, especially from anyone in the New England area who could come by and demonstrate.

Don

01-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Forum Member

That's pretty cool! Never seen it before.. and certainly don't know anyone that does it.
01-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

I wonder if what youre after is
Synthetic schlieren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't see the video at work, but i remember reading about a digital processing method of getting schlieren images

Sorry that was an unhelpful response, but for other people who are curious what the setup looks like i found:
http://www.answers.com/topic/schlieren-photography

I was just thinking back to my digital image processing days. good luck with your hunt

Last edited by southy; 01-23-2009 at 09:17 AM.
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We used to use this at University for supersonic wind-tunnel testing, to visualise air flows around objects. It can, of course, be done with any transparent fluid, liquid or gas.

Since the technique relies on change of refractive index with fluid density, there has to be a significant change to be able to see any difference, which occurs when there are layers of air at different temperatures (as with the burning candle in the YouTube link provided) or when there is a substantial pressure gradient (as you get with supersonic flow, or hypersonic flow).

I suggest you contact your local Engineering School or Physics Department, as someone's bound to have some knowledge and, hopefully, apparatus.

01-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This link might also be helpful in explaining what's required:

Schlieren Optics