Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Surprised!

I figured that when I got my K10D, my friends would make fun of me, and go, "you should have gotten a Canikon" So far, I have found the opposite to be true. Everyone I show my camera to, goes, "Wow, you got a Pentax! Those are nice!" Admittedly, they don't know a lot about cameras, but they recognize the Pentax brand as quality stuff.

I was showing it to a friend who has a D80, to see what she thought about it. She picked it up, remarked on its size, and then said "Wow, this is way nicer than my camera, this is like a pro model!" Well, it may not be pro-model, but I love it, and am happy that my friends, and most of the people I have talked with in my area have not been drinking the fanboy Koolaid.

Pentax recognition is good around lower state SC, how is it in your area?

RD

01-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They do indeed feel better than anything I've picked up...the 5D does fit nicely into my hand though...

There are Pentaxians on here from Wisconsin...none of whom I've met in real life. I have never encountered a Pentax user out and about.
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day SCguy,
I have told this story before, but it was sometime ago.

In may of 2006 I was travelling to Vancouver Isl on the ferry. A man sat down in front of me with a nikon dslr of some sort over his shoulder, and put the camera on a vacant seat. A few minutes later another guy came along and sat down as well, and asked if he could have a look at the nikon camera.

A very earnest discussion followed with the nikon owner rather loudly proclaiming how good his camera was and happily showing all its features to the newcomer.

Remember, I am seated behind these two. After awhile I got up, with my *ist DS over my shoulder, and made my way to the deck to take some shots.....as I stepped out from my row of seats and drew level with these two chaps, the one doing the looking, looked up and saw my camera, and very loudly said...." now thats a camera!!" I had to do everything I could not to burst out laughing and the guy with the nikon was not impressed, fixing me with a withering stare.

True story, and those words " now THATS a camera" still reverberate in my head.

Two/three years ago I went to motorsport event locally, and saw maybe one or two other Pentax dslr's. Last year I gave up counting them.
Times have changed.

Cheers.