Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

UPDATED Buying a new dSLR camera

I'm planning on acquiring a digital camera before the year ends, and I need some ideas.

Here's what I need:
- As long as it's above 6MP, I don't care about the resolution.
- A 1.5" LCD or larger.
- Complete manual mode with ability to adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and manual focus.
- At least 4x optical zoom and at least 3x digital zoom.
- Size: this does not concern me anymore.

Both the size and the price deter me from getting a dSLR, but I am still considering them as they are pretty reasonable on the used market.

I'm thinking the 7.2MP Casio Exilim or the new Canon Powershot G7, but there's too many to consider to narrow my search down to those two -- which is why I need some ideas. If you have a digital camera that serves you well, post about it here.

Last edited by Rak; 10-31-2006 at 03:03 PM.
10-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I wanted another Point and Shoot I'd personally buy another Sony.

That's because of the 4 years of good use that I got from mine.

My page needs some seriouse updating, but every picture on this page was taken on a old 2MP Sony
http://mypage.uniserve.com/%7Ekvsbt/Slides.html
I think that the quality of todays version would be al east 4 times better (I think that they have a 8MP version now)
10-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Rak
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestion.

You're now the second person today that has recommended a Sony P&S. I'll have to check them out in the shops -- I wasn't even considering Sony before but it looks like they're definitely worth a look at.
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The downside to Sony is that their cameras take their monopolized Memory Sticks rather than standard SD cards.

Also, you won't find full-res 3:2 P&S cameras out there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If you need manual focus, don't get one that doesn't have a focus ring.
I had a Nikon Coolpix that had a rocker switch to focus and it just runs the
motor in and out. This is almost useless.
10-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optio of course

My favorite compact (non DSLR) was the Pentax Optio 750. It has a great 5X zoom and complete manual control. I borrowed one from work for a few weeks and loved the quality of the pics. I should have bought one, darn it. I tought there would be a 850 someday that would hopefully add a few changes. Wish it had raw and a hotshoe. never gonna happen now. It really fits in a pocket. You couldn't give me a Sony. Over done colors and stupid memory stick. I like the Pentax menus being similar for dslr and P&Ss.
thanks
barondla
10-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Rak
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I appreciate all of the responses -- barondla, I checked out the Optio 750 on dpreview.com and it looks really good.

Also, my requirements have changed. I didn't realize that full manual control has become a rarity in digital cameras these days -- I've been using my dad's Powershot S30 for over 4 years, and I've come across maybe 3 digital cameras in the past few weeks that have full manual control. I'm now open to any sub-SLRs (size doesn't concern me anymore). such as the Canon G7.
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Stay away from the Canon G series- they have focusing problems.

Here's a nice "sub-SLR" Casio: Casio Exilim EX-P505 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review with 5x optical.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Have you checked the Ricohs? R5 is the latest I think. 28-210ish zoom. 7mp.
10-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Rak
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I checked the P505 and the R5 out. Unfortunately, the R5 is Japan-only, according to Gizmodo.

The P505 looks very promising -- and is nicely priced. I've also started to consider Sony -- the Cybershot DSC-H2, which is in the same category as the P505 (sub-SLR), is also at the top of my list.

I've now narrowed down my choices to:

Sony Cybershot DSC-H2
Canon Powershot S3 IS
Casio Exilim Pro P505

Mo, if I'm not mistaken, you have the 6MP version of the P505, right?
10-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have 6MP the Exilim Pro EX-P600, but IMO, the 7MP version is the best compact P&S ever made.

You can't beat SLR's, though, so here's where the K10D comes in

Adam

11-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rak Quote
I'm planning on acquiring a digital camera before the year ends, and I need some ideas.

Here's what I need:
- As long as it's above 6MP, I don't care about the resolution.
- A 1.5" LCD or larger.
- Complete manual mode with ability to adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and manual focus.
- At least 4x optical zoom and at least 3x digital zoom.
- Size: this does not concern me anymore.

Both the size and the price deter me from getting a dSLR, but I am still considering them as they are pretty reasonable on the used market.

I'm thinking the 7.2MP Casio Exilim or the new Canon Powershot G7, but there's too many to consider to narrow my search down to those two -- which is why I need some ideas. If you have a digital camera that serves you well, post about it here.
A lot of my friends from FlyFisherman.com: The Virtual Flyshop swear by the Pentax Optio as it not only takes amazing pics, it is fully waterproof as well. Go to the forums and use the search function and I am sure more then a few pics will show up..... as long as you don't mind checking out some rivers and fish

If you like the outdoors, this is definately the one to beat as you can put it anywhere and it will be ready for anything, including a dunk or two in the water

good luck
11-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only downside to the waterproof Optios (at least the WP/WPi) is that they have no manual fuctions.

Adam

11-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
Rak
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My sister has a waterproof Pentax Optio, actually. It's compact enough to fit in an Altoids box -- and that's exactly where my sister stores it to deter theft. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the manual features I have grown accustomed to, as Mo pointed out.

Because of Mo's advice I've ruled out the Sony HSC-series. I also read the in-depth review on dpreview.com and the image noise is horrendous above 400 ISO. They also had a side-by-side comparison to the Canon S3 IS, and the differences are clear. I've narrowed my search down to the Canon S3 IS. I appreciate all of the feedback on this forum -- there are just too many digital cameras to try out for myself, so your feedback was really helpful.
11-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
Rak
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today my circumstances have changed (and my budget).

I am now seriously considering dSLRs. I would say the budget is $800 for the camera body.

I still don't care too much about size, but I do not plan on using this camera for any professional work. The LCD does not matter to me, because I'll only be using the viewfinder.

I read a dSLR buying guide and it said that searching for one can be a lot easier if you know for what you will be using it. I won't be using it for action or sports photography. Mainly landscapes, hikes, and low-light scenarios (museums, cities at night).

I'd like to know how everybody likes their current Pentax dSLR, and if anybody has had any good/bad experiences with dSLRs from other manufacturers.