Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I agree, my friend. I see cyclists doing boneheaded stuff all of the time; one guy owes his life to the fact that I drive a BMW with real brakes. Now that I think about it, a couple of stray dogs should also be giving their thanks.

In my "close encounter" with the ground, I was on a bike trail - but hot rodding a bit too much. You'd think at '62, I'd gather some wisdom, but . . . . . my first car (in '64) was a brand new, 289, 4-speed Mustang, so what can I say?

Still, it's time for me to take bike safety seriously, and buy a helmet!

Jer
I see no value in persisting the discussion of cyclists doing "boneheaded stuff" as you are doing here. It doesn't take a degree in psychology to realize that this attitude translates into dangerous situations for cyclists. You may think I do boneheaded moves in traffic but they are all done with personal safety in mind and I doubt you would be able to figure out why I did those things unless you were on a bike near me.

Large SUV's gained in popularity partly because people feel safer in them - if you feel the need to drive a Yukon instead of a Ford Focus because of personal safety imaging how I feel on my bike. How many times do you think drivers endanger the life of a cyclist compared with how many times a cyclist endangers his/her own life in traffic? Yet the discussion always comes around to "Cyclists don't help themselves" and "I see cyclists doing boneheaded stuff". I save my own life almost every time I ride my bike in traffic by anticipating stupid moves by people in their cars but I still get cast down by people who saved the life of a cyclist because they drive a BMW.

Drivers should also realize that just like there are different types of cars on the road that behave differently there are also different types of cyclists. Large trucks get away with parking in the middle of the road for no other reason than they have a large truck while taxi drivers are notoriously aggressive drivers. In cycling the "triathlete" is an entirely different creature than the "kid on a BMX", the "homeless person towing a trailer full of recycling", the "courier who is swerving dangerously through traffic" Some people will get pissed off with one type of cyclist - and like the guy in the LA Times article - decide to "teach them a lesson".

by complete coincidence a guy from our local camera club also just confessed he had "no love for cyclists". So when you say "Easy my friend" you have to realize that cyclists come under attack all the time - and to say nothing is to accept these attitudes which is something I cannot do. I have been hit, honked at, sworn at, and yelled at for the pleasure of riding my bike. I completely understand that some cyclists have done some stupid things but until you have put on some serious biking miles in traffic you have no idea how it looks from the other end. During the year I trained for IronMan I put 4500km on my bike - and believe me I saw a lot more of what was going on than you could imagine.

Last edited by cwood; 02-02-2009 at 07:54 PM.
02-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
I see no value in persisting the discussion of cyclists doing "boneheaded stuff" as you are doing here. It doesn't take a degree in psychology to realize that this attitude translates into dangerous situations for cyclists. You may think I do boneheaded moves in traffic but they are all done with personal safety in mind and I doubt you would be able to figure out why I did those things unless you were on a bike near me.
Unfortunately, this thread is taking a direction I didn't intend. My original intent was simply to point out that - when riding a bike - people ought to wear a helmet, as my clearly "boneheaded" maneuver on a bike path amply demonstrates.

As it happens, I ride a bike about 4 days a week (when I'm not on the boat), and my daughter and son-in-law are active runners and triathletes (as a side - and happy - note, my daugher qualified for the Boston marathon and will be there in April). We're all well aware of the hazards imposed by car and truck drivers with cell phones in their ears, fingers in their noses and thumbs . . . . . well, you know.

By the same token, it "doesn't take a degree in psychology" (although my younger daugher has one) to know that mounting the seat of a bicycle doesn't confer some special wisdom and judgement to the rider. Anyone - like me - who's driven a car for four decades knows that bicyclists, along with pedestrians and other drivers (including ourselves), can do really dumb things.

So . . . . once again returning to my original message . . . . please wear a helmet when you ride a bike.

Jer
02-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, this thread is taking a direction I didn't intend. My original intent was simply to point out that - when riding a bike - people ought to wear a helmet, as my clearly "boneheaded" maneuver on a bike path amply demonstrates.

As it happens, I ride a bike about 4 days a week (when I'm not on the boat), and my daughter and son-in-law are active runners and triathletes (as a side - and happy - note, my daugher qualified for the Boston marathon and will be there in April). We're all well aware of the hazards imposed by car and truck drivers with cell phones in their ears, fingers in their noses and thumbs . . . . . well, you know.

By the same token, it "doesn't take a degree in psychology" (although my younger daugher has one) to know that mounting the seat of a bicycle doesn't confer some special wisdom and judgement to the rider. Anyone - like me - who's driven a car for four decades knows that bicyclists, along with pedestrians and other drivers (including ourselves), can do really dumb things.

So . . . . once again returning to my original message . . . . please wear a helmet when you ride a bike.

Jer
I appreciate that the message has been lost here and that we likely had our wires crossed. And I know I should just drop it now but I still feel inclined to point out that I have to disagree to a SMALL extent here that "mounting the seat of a bicycle doesn't confer some special wisdom and judgment to the rider".

The most entrenched instinct we have is the preservation of our own life and so when a cyclist is racing down a hill at 20mph surrounded by cars doing 50mph the cyclist is MUCH more likely to display cautious wisdom than the driver of the car. Certainly everyone is prone to a lapse in judgment and some people are just plain 'ol stupid but when drivers of cars think they see a cyclist doing something stupid they should take a moment and ask themselves - Is that cyclist being suicidal or did they have a reason for pulling that move?

Since I'm on such a roll here with this rant anyway ... it does good to remember that for every time a cyclist cuts you off and really makes you mad there were probably several instances where you, yourself cut off a cyclist and remained blissfully unaware. Recently my wife suddenly shouted in the passenger seat of our car because I had apparently almost hit a cyclist. There was lots of traffic but even as I checked my mirrors I never found the cyclist - who was fortunately agile enough to avoid my SUV. If my wife hadn't been there I would never have known that I even came close that day.

That's cool about the Boston Marathon - my best marathon time is 4:09 so I don't think never make it myself
02-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
and then there was my rollerblading days .. haha
I used to speedskate for exercise.

Ice vs. brain is not cool. Speedskating helmets resemble those shorty Harley helmets they wear - so maybe kinda cool.

Wrist, elbow and knee pads, Kevlar neck gaiter and gloves are truly uncool. Now I hear skating skins are made of kevlar thread.

Blades are sharp!!

02-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Kunik,

I have ridden a motor bike for many years so I have just an inkling of what goes on. This mornings incident was simply the fault of the cyclists, they did not look, they knew it and other road users knew it. IF in fact I had not been watching out for them and anticipated their actions (as I do when riding a motorbike in traffic) I would have hit them, simple as that. Road rules in Australia at least, require you to indicate when changing lanes.

Kudos to the truck driver too, his actions were also sharp. And no, I have no particular feelings for cyclists either way, but I also have no desire to hit them or any other road user, or be hit.

Helmets, well you better do a bit of research on ratings of helmets and what they designed to withstand.

Sorry this benign discussion affects you so. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Cheers
Grant
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I think with age you become wiser. I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, with and without helmets. I have been involved with ABATE and other groups fighting mandatory helmet laws. While I believe in freedom and still am opposed to mandatory laws, I no longer ride without one whether i'm in a helmet state or not. Perhaps its the fact that I got up and walked away from my last 2 crashes and the deep gouges are quite visible in the helmets I was wearing at the time (I keep them hanging up in the garage as reminders). I also wear a helmet skiing ( I found it much warmer in extreme cold also) and bicycling.
No helmet or protective clothing can take the place of riding skills. All riders on the highway whether pedaling or with a motor MUST always be aware of everything around them all the time. While the traffic laws specify which vehicle has the right of way, in reality you are invisible and must ride with attitude that they can't see you and its your responsibility to avoid collisions. Except for dogs and they see you and are out to get you. Even small animals and birds can trigger a crash. So can bugs! After all these years I still ride. With a helmet.
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I appreciate that the message has been lost here and that we likely had our wires crossed.
I think we did, as well - so, no sweat. Anyway, since you do a lot of riding can you recommend a helmet that won't cost me an arm and leg? I've got a 2006 Consumer Reports issue that makes some recommendations, but those are getting pretty stale.

Thanks,

Jer

02-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I think we did, as well - so, no sweat. Anyway, since you do a lot of riding can you recommend a helmet that won't cost me an arm and leg? I've got a 2006 Consumer Reports issue that makes some recommendations, but those are getting pretty stale.

Thanks,

Jer
With Giro and Bell being to two main manufacturers of bike helmets I find they fit entirely differently. I like the Giro's myself. The Havoc is a good helmet for the price but since you live in Texas - where I hear things can get pretty hot - you should take a serious look at the Pneumo. It is one of the best ventilated helmets you can get to help keep you cool. I bought one for the first time in 2003 (for Ironman) and paid $200 but they're down to less than $100 now in many stores. The Atmos is the more expensive version of the pneumo but you can find it for a similar price (~$100) on sale.

Or in camera terms...
Havoc = K100
Pneumo = K10
Atmos = K20
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As one who rides mostly road bikes, with the speeds a road bike is capable of it is crazy to go helmetless as I see some people do. Not having a helmet is a surefire way to risk a bad injury and I have seen some nasty injuries even at very low speeds even on regular bikes. Personally I use Met helmets.
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

With Giro and Bell being to two main manufacturers of bike helmets I find they fit entirely differently. I like the Giro's myself. The Havoc is a good helmet for the price but since you live in Texas - where I hear things can get pretty hot - you should take a serious look at the Pneumo. It is one of the best ventilated helmets you can get to help keep you cool. I bought one for the first time in 2003 (for Ironman) and paid $200 but they're down to less than $100 now in many stores. The Atmos is the more expensive version of the pneumo but you can find it for a similar price (~$100) on sale.

Or in camera terms...
Havoc = K100
Pneumo = K10
Atmos = K20
but are they weather-sealed?!
02-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bad scare on Sunday with a chainsaw...

As a former elite endurance athlete, safety is paramount, especially a helmet when cycling. Nothing new to be said by anyone. I use a helmet all the time - Giro/Bell are the only ones that fit my egg shaped noggin correctly...

On another note: the bad ice storm knocked down a lot of trees recently. I was felling and sectioning trunks/limbs, etc. when the 20" bar of my chainsaw skipped off the tree trunk and slid across my quad - right at the area just above the kneecap...

Let it be said that I always wear my safety gear - heavy leather gloves, steel toed boots, safety glasses and a pro arborist helmet:

Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment - Helmets, Hearing and Sight Protection - Pro Arborist Helmet

Most important - safety chaps:

Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment - Clothes - Husqvarna Protective Chaps

A $55 investment for the chaps only cost me a tear in the chaps, and replacement of the chainsaw bar. The cut across the chaps was over 8"... Well worth the possible alternative of $$$$'s in surgery, rehab, etc.

Regards,
Marc
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
Inactive Account

withdrawn... sorry

Last edited by woof; 02-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Australia isn't the best place of cyclists... its sort of the anti-cyclist place. Hear news every now and then of cyclists being run down. Just a couple weeks ago, two cyclists were struck down by a car on the motorway - one of them died.

It's mainly cause people keep bitching about things. A few years ago a law was introduced about cyclists not being allowed on footpaths unless otherwise noted or if you're a kid. So all older cyclists are forced onto the road. Then the car drivers are all "Get off mah road you damn cyclist".... there was even a case recently of OLYMPIC cyclists training then they were struck - driver-bys honked and yelled obscenities at them as they lay on the side of the road.... absolutely pathetic

Driver found guilty over cycle smash | The Australian

The newspapers sensational everything though.

I was on my way to my way to my in-laws (they live a few streets away from the Gt Western Hwy/M7 overpass ... just near where a recent accident happened).

A truck that had struck the cyclist was travelling behind me ... just prior to that accident I noticed them ahead and they were slipstreaming each other ...one quickly pulled out and around (into the left lane where vehicles are travelling 100km/h+).

I pulled out a little to give more room (mind you they have a good 2 car widths of very smooth emergency breakdown lane to utilise) ... I looked back and saw the other rider do the same again ... and that when they got clobbered.

Everyone keeps saying "poor cyclist" ... in this case it's poor truck drive that didn't have a chance in avoiding these "idiots".

And the clincher here ... there a multi-million $ cycleway that was built alongside the M7 that extends the entire 40km of motorway ... built specifically for cyclists for their safety to keep them away from the traffic. I have ridden the cycleway and it is quite good (and much safer than riding on the verge of a motorway (where the speed difference is considerable.).

I am sorry ... but in this case ... the accident was solely the cyclists fault.
02-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
The newspapers sensational everything though.

I was on my way to my way to my in-laws (they live a few streets away from the Gt Western Hwy/M7 overpass ... just near where a recent accident happened).

A truck that had struck the cyclist was travelling behind me ... just prior to that accident I noticed them ahead and they were slipstreaming each other ...one quickly pulled out and around (into the left lane where vehicles are travelling 100km/h+).

I pulled out a little to give more room (mind you they have a good 2 car widths of very smooth emergency breakdown lane to utilise) ... I looked back and saw the other rider do the same again ... and that when they got clobbered.

Everyone keeps saying "poor cyclist" ... in this case it's poor truck drive that didn't have a chance in avoiding these "idiots".

And the clincher here ... there a multi-million $ cycleway that was built alongside the M7 that extends the entire 40km of motorway ... built specifically for cyclists for their safety to keep them away from the traffic. I have ridden the cycleway and it is quite good (and much safer than riding on the verge of a motorway (where the speed difference is considerable.).

I am sorry ... but in this case ... the accident was solely the cyclists fault.
yea, that ones silly... no idea why they wouldn't use the cyclepath next to the M7 - still doesn't help the fact someone died in the accident...

I havent ridden the cycleway though - good to know someone has used it before though
02-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
As a former elite endurance athlete, safety is paramount, especially a helmet when cycling. Nothing new to be said by anyone. I use a helmet all the time - Giro/Bell are the only ones that fit my egg shaped noggin correctly...

On another note: the bad ice storm knocked down a lot of trees recently. I was felling and sectioning trunks/limbs, etc. when the 20" bar of my chainsaw skipped off the tree trunk and slid across my quad - right at the area just above the kneecap...

Let it be said that I always wear my safety gear - heavy leather gloves, steel toed boots, safety glasses and a pro arborist helmet:

Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment - Helmets, Hearing and Sight Protection - Pro Arborist Helmet

Most important - safety chaps:

Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment - Clothes - Husqvarna Protective Chaps

A $55 investment for the chaps only cost me a tear in the chaps, and replacement of the chainsaw bar. The cut across the chaps was over 8"... Well worth the possible alternative of $$$$'s in surgery, rehab, etc.

Regards,
Marc
Gee, Marc, I'm glad you're OK. I hate those ice storms; I grew up in Southern Illinois and spent four years in Nashville, so I know what they're like. I've endured lots of snow, but that's generally far better than ice.

Happily, neither is a problem here in coastal Texas; we just have to dodge hurricanes.

Jer