Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Pay big bucks still get nut, Sorry about it

02-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

wow, that really sucks.
I've had my K100D in similar conditions (from extreme humidity in Singapore to -6C in Vancouver). In Singapore, there were no issues what soever... and I was using kit lenses! No weather sealing.

The -6C night shots in Vancouver had some oddities. I was using a Pentax A 50 F1.7, and at one point I was able to drop the aperture down to 1.2 and below. Really strange. Could've been because I changed lenses out in that cold weather... Anyways, it has never happened again... but I'm gonna be using a zoom or 2 bodies if I ever do a shoot like that ever again

I have considered getting Canon for various reasons, but the weather sealing on the Pentax and the anti-shake still have me sold on my K100 & K200D. And for what I do, they still get the job done just as well as most Canon bodies. This article just reinforces how good of a deal I got when I decided on Pentax
02-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I love it when people get their electronics wet and turn hem on right away to see if hey still work. Well, buddy, if you waited a few days, your $8k camera, or whatever it costs, would still prolly work. Maybe a lil gunky but the electronics wouldn't be fried...
02-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
bad day in June 2008, vommited on my K10D, rinsed it off, works fine, smells like camera...

well that's an ad for Pentax to use. WEathersealing: for those times you puke on your camera

02-12-2009, 05:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Did anyone check this linky? Someone aughta tell these folks to buy a Pentax next time they go to the Antarctic. We already know they work in space so Antarctica would be a cinch
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Wow. I guess if you've got the money to spend on such equipment you may not think too much about putting a Dr. Pepper in your bag, but I know, even with my properly weather sealed K10D I never would. I have a day pack type camera backpack and if I put any water or anything in there that may spill I make sure to throw it in a ziplock. Better safe than sorry.

As for the K10D's sealing. I had it, with the 50-135mm mounted on it, out in some pretty bad rain at a motorcycle race, and it performed perfectly during and after. This was as C & N users had their rigs covered in plastic bags.

Last edited by Votesh; 02-16-2009 at 01:19 AM.
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #22

For those who aren't on the OCAU forum..

QuoteOriginally posted by Zardoz:
Three weeks and one day. $722 they've quoted which includes a shutter replacement ($180) some other part ($40 or so) and the rest in LABOUR! Unfortunately they replaced the shutter and this didn't fix anything. I can't say I'm surprised given how long this camera has been in their care - distilled water would have probably been a better shot!
Ouch

i mean, sure, Zardos was an idiot for having Dr pepper (not necessarily in his camera bag, just having Dr Pepper :P), but the canon techs don't think the leaving it on the shelf isn't going to ruin his camera? wtf?

That and CPS requirements, given he shoots professionally, is a right pain in the arse, not that i think Canon Melbourne's going to be much faster if he was CPS

Still sad to see any piece of tech go into repairs, even if it's that pesky 5DII :P

02-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not surprisingly after inpsecting how my own 40D was put together. Some might think the alloy top & bottom made the camera stronger, but the seams/gaps between the metal top and the rest of the body is really large. You can almost peep inside with a flashlight, imagine how easily the moisture, dust and sand grits will get in. In fact, Pentax SLR/DSLRs are pretty well designed and put together with tight seams despite they have plastic shells, though not neceassily weather sealed level.

But then again, people should exercise better judgement and not offloading their mistakes on somebody else.
02-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey people. Actually, my point is to point out that this is some most unfortunate thing for a photographer and that we should use it as a lesson for personal future reference.

Also, as this is a public accessible forum, rovers made comments on both forums and it had came to the attention of the initial poster of the incident to return comments that may discern our unity as photographer.

Hence, I would like to kindly ask people to either give advice for remedy or deprive their hostility comments.

Many thanks.
02-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
For those who aren't on the OCAU forum..

Ouch

i mean, sure, Zardos was an idiot for having Dr pepper (not necessarily in his camera bag, just having Dr Pepper :P), but the canon techs don't think the leaving it on the shelf isn't going to ruin his camera? wtf?

That and CPS requirements, given he shoots professionally, is a right pain in the arse, not that i think Canon Melbourne's going to be much faster if he was CPS

Still sad to see any piece of tech go into repairs, even if it's that pesky 5DII :P
It sounds like there's some serious differences in quality between Canon service centers.

Here's my own experience:
My 1Ds II with around 24k shots developed a shutter glitch at high speeds (white line near the edge of the shot) about a month after I bought it used. Sent it to Canon's Irvine service center. Now, this is a second hand camera out of warranty we're talking about. At 10:30AM the package arrives. At 1:30PM I have an email from Canon that the repair is completed for $0. Call and ask, they'd replaced the shutter assembly, cleaned everything (it came back looking like new), and ran it through the test bench to check calibration on everything. Fedex 2nd day back to me, also free of charge.

But I hear other people aren't quite as lucky!
02-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Antarctica 2009 - What Worked

"The largest group of failures through were among the Canon 5D MKIIs. Of the 26 samples of this camera onboard, one quarter (six) failed at one time or another, and while three recovered, the other three never did. In all cases it appeared to be water or humidity damage. Of particular concern were two cameras which stopped working while completely protected within Kata rain covers during a light rain ashore. They came back to life the following day though and were mostly fine for the rest of the trip, but one died permenently just before the end of our voyage. "

25% of Canon's 5Dmk2 died on the Luminous Landscape Antarctica trip, in light rain, not an Antarctic blizzard. One of the owners mentions what happened here, his 2 cameras that died that were under rain covers!

canon 5d mk11 in Anartica - Luminous Landscape Forum

That's a beautiful camera, and I'd certainly enjoy owning one, but for that amount of money, I'd be hugely pissed off if it died the instant the weather turned damp.

I live in the tropics and travel to desert a lot, and yet again, I'm reminded why I'm still with Pentax. I can't afford to buy a sealed camera from Nikon or Canon.

Wow. I read till the end article about trip.
I wish they have taken K20D with DA*50-135 and DA* 200.
05-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
bad day in June 2008, vommited on my K10D, rinsed it off, works fine, smells like camera...
bad night in July 2008, spilled some bubbly champagne on my K20D, rinsed it off, works fine...

I am sorry for your camera. thats one reason I have avoided buying a new toy other than more Limiteds because, the others simply cant handle the weather...
That is all fine but as far as I can tell, the main problem with Dr Pepper (and beer) would be that it will leave some sticky residue.
On my Ds which got engulfed in beer, it resulted in a sticky button
05-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Not surprisingly after inpsecting how my own 40D was put together. Some might think the alloy top & bottom made the camera stronger, but the seams/gaps between the metal top and the rest of the body is really large. You can almost peep inside with a flashlight, imagine how easily the moisture, dust and sand grits will get in. In fact, Pentax SLR/DSLRs are pretty well designed and put together with tight seams despite they have plastic shells, though not neceassily weather sealed level.

But then again, people should exercise better judgement and not offloading their mistakes on somebody else.
Hi Alan,
are you dual system, with also the Eos 40D ?

I like the info on your Pbase, on how you took the Z-1P apart