Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #31
Inactive Account

How is this for a breakfast??..You will need a 10" to 12" well-seasoned cast iron skillet for the bacon, an 8" well-seasoned cast iron skillet for the potatoes, and a 8" non-stick skillet for the eggs....This will feed one hungry person, and look attractive on the plate..

Take two 6-ounce, well-washed and dried, Yukon Gold potatoes and shred them, skins and all, on the coarse holes of a box grater..Rinse the shredded potatoes under cold running water for 1 minute to wash off the excess starch released by grating..Place the rinsed, shredded potatoes in the center of a clean cotton tea towel..Gather the ends of the towel together, twist up the shredded potatoes into a ball, and thoroughly wring out the excess water in, and on the potatoes until they are dry..Remove the shredded potatoes into a stainless steel mixing bowl..Coat the potatoes lightly with extra virgin olive oil..Season the potatoes with the seasonings of your choice..I like a simple mixture of sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a half-sharp paprika that has some heat to it..Mix with your fingers until the potato shreds are evenly seasoned..Heat up the 8" cast iron skillet under medium heat until hot, but not smoking..Cold water drops should dance across the skillet when dropped into it..Lightly oil the skillet..Remember, the potatoes are already oiled..Place the seasoned potatoes into the hot skillet, pressing them down evenly to fill the bottom, but not the sides of the skillet..With a turner spatula make a sharp edged shoulder around the edges of the potato cake..Cook until the first side of the potato cake is golden brown and crispy..This takes about 10-15 minutes..Slide the potato cake out of the cast iron skillet into a non-stick 10" skillet, and use the skillet to flip the potato cake over onto its uncooked side back into the cast iron skillet..The bottom of a 10" non-stick skillet is pretty close to 8" in diameter..You want to keen the potato cake as intact as possible..Cook the second side until golden brown and crispy..This should take about 7-10 minutes..

Meanwhile, in the 10"-12" cast iron skillet, fill it with strips of thick-cut peppered bacon that have been cut in half..If there is extra bacon, use it for a BLT for lunch..Turn the heat under the skillet to medium..I like my bacon strips to be flat..I do not have a bacon press so I use a 9"-10" aluminum cake pan that I weight down with a Melitta coffee pot..When checking the doneness of the bacon I pick up the cake pan with a pair of 9" S.S. tongs, which are also handy for turning the bacon strips over..I usually flip the bacon 2-3 times to evenly cook it..I also move the bacon around the skillet to take advantage of any hot spots..When the bacon is as crisp as you like it (I like mine very crisp, but still chewy), remove it from the skillet onto a layer of paper towels..

While the bacon and potatoes are cooking I juice 2-3 navel oranges, along with a single pink grapefruit through my Breville Citrus Press for a 16-ounce glass of fresh juice..Accompanied by another 16-ounce glass of filtered ice water..

I am a baker at home, so I usually have pain de mie white bread around for toast and sandwiches..I make mine with a little pumpernickel flour for greater heartiness, and a deeper taste..Three slices of bread toasted medium brown and buttered with unsalted butter are usually sufficient..If I decide to go with something sweet on the toast I usually pick orange marmalade, my favorite..Place the toast on a separate plate and place on the table where you intend to eat along with the juice, water, and marmalade..

When the potatoes are finished cooking slide the cake onto a large dinner plate..Meanwhile, preheat the 8" non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 1.5 minutes..You want it hot, but not too hot..Place several tablespoons of butter in the pan, melt the butter, and evenly coat the pan including the sides up for at least 1/2"..The chef's maxim for eggs is, "A hot pan and cold oil equals no stick!!"..Crack three room temperature large eggs into the skillet, taking care to see that they form an equilateral triangle..We want it to look pretty..Cook the eggs sunny side up until the whites have set..Take a non-stick spatula turner and gently work around the edges of the eggs until they slide freely in the pan..Gently slide the three sunny side up eggs onto the center of the potato pancake..Season with salt and pepper..Place 8 half-strips of bacon around the edges..

I no longer drink coffee, but when I did a 12-ounce mug of hot, black Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee would have been on the table along with the juice and water..

Bruce's Hearty Breakfast Menu For One Hungry Diner

12 oz. Yukon Gold Potato Cake Topped With:
3 Sunny Side Up Eggs
8 Half Strips of Peppered Bacon
3 Slices of Toasted White-Pumpernickel Sandwich Bread
Unsalted Butter
Orange Marmalade
16 oz. Glass of Fresh-Squeezed Orange-Grapefruit Juice
16 oz. Glass of Filtered Water with Filtered Ice Cubes
12 oz. Mug of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee served Black
Sea Salt
Pepper Mill containing Sarawak Black Peppercorns
Bottle of Tabasco Sauce

I hope everyone enjoys reading this as much as I do occassionally making and eating this!!!!!..

Bruce

02-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I love my breakfast with Coffee and toast bread. having it almost daily.
02-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #33
graphicgr8s

Forgetting that that isn't something that appeals to me I doubt even I could it all that. And I'm a big eater at 300 lbs
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
TODAY FOR BREAKFAST I HAD:

a glass of water

gonna go and grab a sandwich or something from the local diner.
No wonder you need 'fattening up'! :P

Every Sunday my Da cooks breakfast for me (tho I usually get it around lunch time ) Bacon, scrambled eggs, a grilled tomato and tatas if they're any left over grilled till crunchy with a freshly baked bread roll... mmmMMMmmm

Did someone say pictars?

We should eat like Kings in the morning... like princes at lunch time and like poorpers for dinner

02-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
...Every Sunday my Da cooks breakfast for me (tho I usually get it around lunch time ) Bacon, scrambled eggs, a grilled tomato and tatas if they're any left over grilled till crunchy with a freshly baked bread roll...
I think "tatas" must mean something very different here in the US.
02-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Well let's see... my breakfast this morning:

5:30am bowl of oatmeal and a protein shake
7am: 6 hardboiled eggs (1 whole, 5 whites only)

Yum yum!

Pat
02-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #37
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
But they're still good for breakfast. and lunch... and dinner. Maybe a midnight snack too.

02-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote

02-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #39
Veteran Member

My wife thanks you for clearing that up KrisK10D -- I guess I'll have pancakes this morning.
02-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Youtube Video of the girls tasting Vegemite...... I cant believe how much she lathered onto the toast. No wonder they didnt like it.
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That video was hilarious, typical American teenagers, haha. sheesh

Anyway. my favorite breakfast would consist of.. Pork sausage patties ( 2 ) 2 scrambled eggs, two biscuits with gravy made from the sausage drippings, a small glass of orange juice, two slices of wheat toast with a tiny bit of butter, and a cup of coffee.
02-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

What are these biscuits you guys talk about? Biscuits in Aus have cream and chocolate and coconut. I don't think that's what you're having at breakfast.

But...

?

02-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #43
Veteran Member

this morning i had time to eat

so i ate yesterday made meat patties (half ground beef, half ground pork, 1 egg, diced onion, bread crumbs)

baked potatos

and a nice big glass of orange juice.

no malnutrition for me today!
02-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #44
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this morning i had time to eat

so i ate yesterday made meat patties (half ground beef, half ground pork, 1 egg, diced onion, bread crumbs)

baked potatos

and a nice big glass of orange juice.

no malnutrition for me today!
Now that sounds like breakfast. Except the OJ. Must have coffee! And maybe a slice of pizza to go with it.
02-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Now that sounds like breakfast. Except the OJ. Must have coffee! And maybe a slice of pizza to go with it.
coffee comes later, at work, (ie, now)