Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should threads with offensive comments about politics or religion be deleted?
Yes 832.00%
No 1768.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Politics & Religion (also comments about locked v. deleted threads)

In my opinion, if contentious threads are going to be locked before everyone has an opportunity to respond, then the threads should be removed entirely instead of left standing with only those comments of the few online between the thread's creation and locking. Otherwise, those online later are deprived of an opportunity to add their comments to those already existing for all to still see - rewarding those who post contentious threads (and messages in those threads) knowing others will very quickly be blocked from replying.

Actually, at this point, I'd like to see all threads and/or messages containing any offensive comments whatsoever about politics, religion, and other hot topics not directly related to photography, tossed (deleted) immediately. I honestly don't like responding to these types of threads or messages, but certainly feel compelled to defend those things I firmly believe in. However, having to do so nearly each time I enter this forum, because someone has posted yet another such thread, is extremely tiresome.

Neutral, balanced, or reasoned threads or messages should clearly remain, as should photographs without an obvious agenda. But the contentious or inflammatory threads with offensive comments about either politics or religion should go. They're devisive and totally unwarranted in a photography forum.

stewart

02-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have comment in some threads that have gotten out of hand during election season but I dont think we should ban these threads as long as they stay in the correct subsection of the forum. There is nothing that says you have to read the thread there are probably thousands of threads in the forum that I have never opened. I really do think that even if a thread gets heated if you learn anything at all while reading it then it has served its purpose.
I understand this is really a private forum operated my Adam but I do hope that we have not gotten to the point that we feel we need to begin censoring what is said and what is allowed to be discussed
02-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NO - or so I voted

What PRECISELY is necessary and sufficient to define offense? Politics? Religion?
02-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What PRECISELY is necessary and sufficient to define offense? Politics? Religion?
lets not forget any thread started by RiceHigh

02-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I've seen done on another forum I used to visit is that instead of locking or deleting "controversial" threads, they are all moved in a sub-forum called "Unmoderated Controversy".

It's basically an "anything goes" catch all subforum where those who like to foam at the mouth over X topic can do so and the rest of us who do not want to see that behaviour simply do not do into that sub-forum.

What I like about that idea is that it doesn't involve deleting threads. I have no problems deleting spam and advertisement, but deleting a thread because I don't like someones opinions on a subject doesn't sit well with me, specially on a site like here where our common trait and goal is creativity.

Just my 2 cents.

Pat
02-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

dont like, dont read

if you got beef with someone and the thread is locked, start PM'ing

if you want to post something against what someone else has said in a locked thread, and are smart enough to understand why that thread was locked, you would be smart enough to let it slide

(and fight your battles another day, teehee)

as for the particular thread (i'm assuming), that was just poor judgement on behalf of the OP, i agree to the thread closure, and thank everyone for not letting it get out of hand.
02-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Now this was a suprise. While I was of developing two rolls of film the thread I started got some replies and was then closed before I had a chance to reply to direct questions. For no apparent reason. Will probably send a PM to Adam about this to sort it out.

I think offensive comments should be deleted, but discussion should not. Offending someone is never a good way to get your message through.

Will not answer any questions asked in my other thread for fear of this thread gettin closed.

Thank you.
02-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't say I'm a great believer in censorship, deleting or locking threads because they offend, where is the line drawn?
Is it because it is contrary to someone else's world view and therefore abhorrent that they get deprived of being allowed to voice their views?
A couple of the forums I visit keep a kind of bull pen section going, if poor diddums might get offended then best they don't visit the section, and if folk post views others disagree with then shoot them down in flames. Yep things get passionate, but in the end folk also get things off their chests, a bit like primal scream therapy I suppose.

02-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #9

Just lock a thread when things start getting juvenile and stupid.

If it's just a heated debate, I don't see any reason to jump in a stop it. I never got why conflict should be moderated on forums. As long as valid posts are being posted, I don't see anything wrong with fiery exchanges.

Like I said... as long as nobody resorts to being juvenile and stupid.
02-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voted no.

Why? : firstly define offensive, what may offend me may also be amusing to someone else or visa versa.

Secondly I strongly defend the right to express your opinion. With that must come the acknowledgment that some else has the right to dis-agree with that opinion. I have made this point in the past with respect to one already mentioned contributor.

Where all of this runs off the rails is when "we" become opinionated and dogmatic in our personal view, believing it to be right and all others to be wrong. Respect the other persons opinion, make your point and move on. The current "global warming" debate is a classic example. God help you if hold a different view to the purveyors of that particular subject.

I try and exercise the thought process of "my current view of the situation" as against "my better view of the situation"....rather than get bogged down in the "right" and "wrong" argument, which immediatly locks you into a position.

And for the record I actually found nothing wrong with the religious question.

So my no vote is a vote for mature debate amongst mature people who are able to embrace another point of view.

Leave it to the moderators to close a thread when the argument becomes circular, abusive or pointless.

Cheers
Grant
02-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #11

^ +1

juvenile, stupid, pointless = LOCK
02-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
^ +1

juvenile, stupid, pointless = LOCK
So we get subjective do we, I'll have to go with my comrade biker here, nick the key
02-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #13

Tough call, but voted no. Doesn't this depend on the reader and the way it's
received?

I saw the religion question yesterday. First thought was 'what has that got to
do with photography?' I'd ask the same if it was a political thread, but as it's
in an off-topic catagory what's the hassle? I personally don't think it's
appropriate, but then I can choose not to participate so the thread fades off into
the sunset. I wouldn't like to start deciding which stop off-topic stuff to regulate
as I feel this is a very slippery slope.

e.g. If this is a photography forum then surely this is a place for topics just about
photography? BUT where do you stop? I hesitate to mention the Joke Thread 'cause it's
a good read, but photography it's not. You could regulate it so that all posts had to
have an element of humour in them, but...what would be the point?

Abuse is, in any country or culture, abuse. Ignorance (innocence?) of a culture can be
regarded as abuse even if the intent did not exist in the mind of the contributor.
If you kill the debate, or kill the arguement, you will end up destroying the chance to
learn, understand, appreciate and progress.

Please don't decide for me which threads/posts/topics are allowed, please...I am old enough
and ugly enough to decide that for myself and if I feel inclined to do so I will give
my thoughts and feelings on the matter. If not, I don't have to.

02-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Religion is like Race, you just don't go there and if you do then you leave yourself open to being seen as a sh!t stirrer. No offense, but we all know were that kind of topic ends up. It is enevitable.

Now censorship of certain topics could be a tad far, that would assume that alot of posters here are characteristically naive and display little common sense in their choice of topic and wording, this ruins it for the majority and the majority should not suffer for the err of one poster displaying poor form.

But i do agree, if a sensitive topic is locked then why not remove it altogether instead of leaving it hanging?. Whatever comments therein that caused offense to some will still be there for all to see. How about this instead. Do not lock any threads at all. Let the moderators do their jobs and remove any posts in said topic deemed as inflammatory or culturally insensitive?

As far as i know, no religion or political party has a patent on common sense and courtesy.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 02-03-2009 at 04:32 AM.
02-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What PRECISELY is necessary and sufficient to define offense? (snip)
I don't think it is all that difficult to define offensive, monochrome. Statements about myself are rarely offensive, while negative statements about others usually are. In other words, none would likely be offended by me saying I don't believe in religion within a conversation, but certainly some would be offended by me saying "Democrats are ignorant tossers with a criminal mindset and the morals of a hungry alley cat," or "atheists are that because they're both too lazy to read religious texts and too stupid to understand religious philosophy or beliefs," or "religious leaders and their followers are delusional."*

As I said earlier, neutral, balanced, or reasoned threads or messages should clearly remain, while contentious threads or messages with offensive comments should go.

stewart

*This sentence contains fabricated quotations intended solely as examples of offensive content not necessarily conforming to either fact or the views and opinions of the author.