Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And this evaluation of the image below helps make sense of the problem......

....a huge temperature anomaly (anything in deep red) over a massive area of Victoria and southern New South Wales!

Of course, the other source of problems (arsonists) no one can make sense of...

02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I just saw the email sent out appealing to members to donate and would like to extend my appreciation on behalf of all Australians to any international members who choose to donate and those who bother to read the articles as well.

Latest reports are that the toll has reached 173, and it's a long way from over.

For the international members who wouldn't have seen as many details as we have - on that Saturday, the fire danger index was around 400. An index of 100 indicates any fire that starts will likely become uncontrollable. Firefronts moving at up to 120km/h due to the driving winds, cinder-sparked spot fires forming kilometres ahead of firefronts, forests that have had drastically low rainfall for 3 years...

Vylen - same deal this time, New Zealand's going to cop it.

One of the most telling images to surface out of this - koalas usually aren't the friendliest of things - if you try to pick one up, they'll usually go postal on you. Yet -

At the same time, north-eastern Australia (northern Queensland) has been affected by heavy widespread flooding. Amazing country, isn't it.

Rest in peace to all those who have lost their lives, condolences to the thousands who have lost family, friends, colleagues and their homes, kudos to the thousands of emergency workers involved, and thank you to the individuals, corporations and governments who have been so quick to respond to this catastrophe.
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #48
srp

I have just seen the email as well. I'm going down to the bank first thing tomorrow to donate. I still cant believe the news reports every time I check...more casualties etc. I cannot fathom what these people have gone through and are still going through.
I'm saying my prayers for all of those affected. I just hope they all recieve the support that they need over the coming months.
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
Veteran Member

That image of the Koala just breaks my heart.

Late news last night had an image of smoke haze being blown half way to New Zealand but I couldn't find it on the net. This one has smoke passing Tasmania

It's horrific to say the least and I feel so helpless.

02-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #50
Veteran Member

The above image would be from Saturday, the winds would be sending the smoke NE/E at the moment.
02-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That satellite photo says it all....like the koala and the firefighter, thats what this country is about....helping a mate in time of trouble.

I hope and pray that the savage lessons that mother nature belted us over the head with on Saturday will be learned, and that no-one else will have to die in the horrible way that these people have.

Lets hope that we manage our urban sprawl better and make our homes safer both in construction and environment, it is frighteneing to hear so many reports of houses simply exploding into flames, and when you look at the photos of the burnt homes they are burnt to ash, nothing is left, so the heat generated must have been incredible. I have seen house fires before but nothing like this, repeated so often. I initially thought perhaps it was a problem with new homes, but I doubt there would have been too many newly built structures in Marysville, so that knocks that theory on the head.

Lets hope that we learn to manage our forests properly so that little guys like the koala and his mates have got some chance on these visciously hot days. To not manage the ground fuel is silly, nature itself wants to conduct burn offs, thats why she sends lighting strikes. We put them out in the bizzare notion that we are doing something enviromentally responsible, when the opposite is the case.

Lets hope that our legal system can send the strongest message possible to any one found guilty of lighting any of these fires, and that we do not make excuses for them.

Lets hope that we learn to respect the environment in which we live and to truly understand its frailties and flaws, as well as its beauty.

Lets hope that we appreciate the local fire fighting brigade and give them the proper resources to protect their communities. This can be in many forms and maybe in the these hilly areas where roads can very easily be cut by falling debris, that means purpose built community structures that can be used as emergency shelters amongst other things.

Hug your local volunteer, they are doing it for you.

Sorry guys, but the enormity of this is a little overwhelming and I needed to get that off my chest.

Thanks for reading.
Grant.
02-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #52
Damn Brit

I couldn't have put it better Grant, pretty much what I was thinking.

Such a sad loss, this kind of thing takes generations to get over. But that isn't the only tragedy, the fact that this kind of disaster can and should be, but isn't, planned for and avoided).

My most positive thoughts go out to the people of Australia.

02-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
That image of the Koala just breaks my heart.

Late news last night had an image of smoke haze being blown half way to New Zealand but I couldn't find it on the net. This one has smoke passing Tasmania

It's horrific to say the least and I feel so helpless.
That image is not from this year. It looks more like the MODIS rapidfire shot from the first Alps fires in 2003. You can just see the burnt areas.
02-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One very moving story, among many, was the story of the father who put his two children in the car to leave the area, turned to get something off the front verandah, and when he turned back, the car was a ball of flame, with his children inside.
He will never get over that.
my heartfelt sympathies and prayers (and donations) go out to all those suffering in Victoria.. I cannot imagine the heartbreak being experienced.
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #55
Veteran Member

So far the donations have been rolling in ... today's cricket match that was in Adeliade raised money for the bushfire victims:
Before the game the players, umpires and spectators held a minute silence to pay their respects to the bushfire victims in Victoria.

The Commonwealth Bank Series Bushfire Appeal has raised more than $6 million for people affected by the natural disaster.

A lot of business have donated money and their products as well for the victims in Victoria.

It's been heart-wrenching watching the news broadcasts constantly at work ... the heat of these fires have been astounding ... there was one image of a vehicle where the remains of it's alloy wheels had melted into the road ... and left a molten trail ... no wonder there's nothing left around the area.
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #56
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few close friends who live within a few kms from the firefront, and they confirm it's about 1km wide and 20km across, the wind blowing it across its short axis. Any change of wind towards its long axis can wreak more havoc as there's much more bush to burn.

With so many burns victims, the main burns unit in Melbourne has run out of vital medications and couldn't replace its stock fast enough.

We can only pray for the fires to die down and give these communities reprieve from the disaster.
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Grant, your sentiments speak for us all.

I just heard on the news that two more fires have been deliberately lit. I'm so angry that my Buddhist principles don't prevent me from wishing the very worst penalty possible if these bastards are ever caught. Since they like fire, burn them at the stake, I say.

Sorry, but like Grant I had to get that off my chest, too.

The one tiny positive thing I can say is that, going by our experience here on Kangaroo Island after our huge bushfires last year, the environment bounces back pretty quickly. The bush regenerates, wildlife recovers and life goes on. Of course, we "only" had to deal with one death. I can't imagine how people come to terms with whole communities being wiped out. This has shaken us all.

May the Buddha's compassionate loving kindness find a way to heal the suffering.
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #58
Inactive Account

To everyone affected by the Victorian fires, you all have my deepest sympathies and my most heartfelt loveing thoughts for your recoveries (also my donations), it is difficult to find the right words to express how we are all feeling.
My 3yr old daughter has been watching the news and has been asking many questions, it is hard to explain but she understands and is now, of her own accord, packing toys into a box to send to the children she has seen on the TV.
I have lived through three bushfires in NSW, that all now look so tiny and insignificant.
Again I wish all affected my love.
Sharon
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Victorian bushfires force heartbreaking choice for wife | The Australian

That one's a really sad story.... too sad...
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #60

We live about 15 minutes from Marysville that got totally destroyed except a handful of houses. It has a population of 700 and no one knows how many people got killed there.
But amazing enough the fires went around our place. although all around us everything has bee burnt.

the internet here has just come on this morning.