Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, Lady... Horrifiying.

The Red Cross link seems to be down, though, btw.

(Edit: disregard that, it must have just been busy before.)

Is there a means to Paypal them, though?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-10-2009 at 09:33 PM.
02-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
The Red Cross link seems to be down, though, btw.

*searching around.*
If you're outside Australia you won't be able to donate through the Australian Red Cross site, but you can use the international Salvation Army donation site that I linked to in my previous post.

If you find a way to donate online to the Australian Red Cross, please post it!
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

OK. Maybe, we could find a way to pass the hat among us here with Paypal or something, then get it over there more directly. (and when I say 'us' I mean 'Someone more computer-savvy than me. )
02-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I thought of that but Paypal will take far to much in fees and currency conversions. It's really better that anyone who can make a donation just go to the site of their choice and use a CC, Cheque or Money order. That way they get your entire donation. Just spread the word to your friends if you want to.

02-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #20
Banned

just thought id let you all know I donated to both the Red Cross the Salvation Army. I wish all of Australia the best of luck and to the firefighters I just want to say, godspeed.

Last edited by séamuis; 02-11-2009 at 07:05 AM.
02-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I used the link that peter put up for the australian red cross and it accepted my donation paid with a CC and when it asked for the state on the form i just used the last one which says "outside of australia". I got a receipt so that would seem to me that the transaction went through sucessfully
02-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I used the link that peter put up for the australian red cross and it accepted my donation paid with a CC and when it asked for the state on the form i just used the last one which says "outside of australia". I got a receipt so that would seem to me that the transaction went through sucessfully
That's great! I couldn't get to that step so I went for the Salvation Army. I'll make another donation to the Red Cross if their servers are less loaded later one.

Thanks for the heads-up, Gokenin.

02-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
OK. Maybe, we could find a way to pass the hat among us here with Paypal or something, then get it over there more directly. (and when I say 'us' I mean 'Someone more computer-savvy than me. )
No. Please don't use PayPal.

PayPal has screwed over charitable donations before.

Best for it to go straight to the Red Cross or the Salvoes, and cut out the middleman. They'll get it straight away, and they're both on the ground right now, helping out, and there're are no admin fees from sending it through a third-party collection system.

Cheers, everyone. There were unofficial reports saying that the toll may reach and breach 300. Sadly, that would not surprise me.

Considering that some of these towns had populations of 500 or so...jeez.
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
No. Please don't use PayPal.

PayPal has screwed over charitable donations before.

Best for it to go straight to the Red Cross or the Salvoes, and cut out the middleman. They'll get it straight away, and they're both on the ground right now, helping out, and there're are no admin fees from sending it through a third-party collection system.

Cheers, everyone. There were unofficial reports saying that the toll may reach and breach 300. Sadly, that would not surprise me.

Considering that some of these towns had populations of 500 or so...jeez.
Don't worry, it's not an option, anyway. I'll get somethign to the Red Cross one way or another.
02-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Although I am not affected by the Bush fires, I, as an Australian would like to extend my gratitude to our international neighbours and friends (especially of the Pentax forums) for there ongoing support and generosity.

The last figure that I heard today was the donations to the people of Victoria have now exceeded $41million dollars.

So again, I say thankyou to all those who have supported the Victorians in these desperate times.

John
02-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moose Quote
Although I am not affected by the Bush fires, I, as an Australian would like to extend my gratitude to our international neighbours and friends (especially of the Pentax forums) for there ongoing support and generosity.

The last figure that I heard today was the donations to the people of Victoria have now exceeded $41million dollars.

So again, I say thankyou to all those who have supported the Victorians in these desperate times.

John
I'm with the Moose, thank you people....your blood is worth bottling. ( Aussie ? slang for you are alright = good people).

John....you have no idea of my fixation with moose(s)...(its a long story)..I could be in love having found one in Australia take care mate!
02-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'm deleting the 26th post (above Grants post) here because when I search the Red cross page for a Paypal link to make a donation I can't find the page referred to in the post by the new member above. There are too many stories about people taking advantage of this type of situation. It looks like a valid page but when searching the actual site, I can't find this page. Plus there is no place to input donor information like there is on the Red Cross site as with credit card or other donation methods. The link takes you straight to Paypal.

If the new member has an issue with this, Please contact me directly via PM.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-12-2009 at 06:12 AM.
02-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

^ ^ Honorary Aussie right there!
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #29
axl
Veteran Member

great effort Peter, I'll see what I can do...
02-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I heard today that Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman donated Au $500K today.
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Kidman donates to bushfire appeal