Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Damn Brit

How Dumb is your Governor? (Fun Thread)

An article I saw this evening Conservation Corps in serious fiscal danger gave me the idea for this thread.
The latest brainwave from Mr. Schwarzenegger is to get rid of the CCC (California Conservation Corp.) to save money on the budget. They create wheelchair accessible trails in regional parks, respond to oil spills, clean up creeks etc. All at minimum wage and it gets a lot of high school dropouts off the streets and into careers with organisations like Fish and Game, Fire Service etc.

At a time when a national public works program is likely, he wants to get rid of an organisation that would be a good model for that program.

OK so what has your governor done that has flown in the face of sensibility?

02-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In terms of size I believe California (if it were an independent country) ranks between the 7th to 10th largest economy in the world (depending on which ranking you choose).

However like the US on the whole, with something like US$40 billion deficit, it is basically bankrupt and seriously needs to make painful but necessary cuts in state spending. What is happening in California is just a reflection of the wider problem of the USA, namely little or no savings and a predisposition to spend the way out of a problem. This has led to massive over consumption and ballooning personal, corporate and institutional debt.

One of the worse after effects in this economic crisis I think will be the student loan issue. Most on student loans will carry this ever increasing debt throughout their working lives. As to the housing market, many in the US bought on the euphoria of appreciating property prices. Like Japan, the US will undergo years of decline and economic contraction with properties languishing in negative equity. The only apparent winner in this global economic crisis is China because it has a huge and healthy budget surplus, plus fundamentally it produces more than it spends.

The US is basically in freefall. No amount of stimulus package can correct the fundamental flaws in the system.
02-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Well it was my intention for it to be a fun thread
I think there's little argument with what you said Denis but the point I was trying to illustrate with this thread is that no matter how bad things are, you can usually rely on those in charge to do something that pretty much everyone else thinks is just wrong. Similar to the Darwin Awards I guess.
02-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Gary, if the Terminator (Hasta la vista, baby ...NO... I won't be back... ) to solve the woes of California, we can now look to the eBay queen Meg Whitman to Paypal away the state deficit.

EBay's retiring chief executive may be considering a run for California governor - Los Angeles Times

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2008-09-21-whitman_N.htm

02-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
In the case of Kalifornia He got elected.
02-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
An article I saw this evening Conservation Corps in serious fiscal danger gave me the idea for this thread.
The latest brainwave from Mr. Schwarzenegger is to get rid of the CCC (California Conservation Corp.) to save money on the budget. They create wheelchair accessible trails in regional parks, respond to oil spills, clean up creeks etc. All at minimum wage and it gets a lot of high school dropouts off the streets and into careers with organisations like Fish and Game, Fire Service etc.

At a time when a national public works program is likely, he wants to get rid of an organisation that would be a good model for that program.

I just watched batman on encore last night. Mr. Freeze. Nuff said.

Though he is no my longer governor, but at least he signed my diploma. Yay autographs
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

your governor can rip out the front seat from a Porsche with HIS BARE HANDS

he comes from the future

has been in the past

has multiple clones

the only man to have gotten pregnant

undercover CIA agent

can ride horses

can fly jets

battled aliens

battled snake men

BATTLED ****ING SATAN MAN... SATAN!!!

has been to mars

spent half his life living on an island educating himself like crazy

has achieved the title of Mr.Olympia

battled bears... in new york

Arnold is the best

Arnold is the best

Arnold is the best

YAH!!

02-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
graphicgr8s

Mine agrees with the crapulus package.
02-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Gooshin, Arnie's had his share of medical scrapes and had a heart valve replacement to boot... he's mortal!!!
02-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Gooshin, Arnie's had his share of medical scrapes and had a heart valve replacement to boot... he's mortal!!!
all for show

i'm convinced

i mean

come on

YouTube - Commando Phone Booth Attack Scene
02-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New York state is probably in as big a mess as Calif. There are similar programs in NY but are done through grants to private organizations and with state aid to the towns and countys. They are talking about huge cuts in the budget, some of which are good. The big money drains come out of the large urban areas and they usually don't want to cut too much there because thats where the votes are. Eleminate conservation programs and other services in the small towns and rural areas and it doesn't hurt them at all. They can spout their mouths off about about how they saved money in the budget. Save a 100K$ upstate, spend another million in NYC. Thats how it works.
02-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Gov. Doyle was the Governator's right-hand guest at that stupid "California Air Quality Summit" or whatever it was called a few months ago.

As if Mr. Jingle All the Way knows anything about environmental conservation...
02-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

As if Mr. Jingle All the Way knows anything about environmental conservation...
do you?

10char
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not a governor...my opinions and insights and "expertise" are of no value to anyone unless they are in a related field.
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I'm not a governor...my opinions and insights and "expertise" are of no value to anyone unless they are in a related field.
so then?

besides, the job of a public leader is part knowledge part ability and part charisma

arnold, really, doesnt need to know anything

all he needs to do, is surround himself with good people that are experts in whatever field they are in, they hold big meetings, and make decisions

arnold is the front man of a multi-person administration.

much like your president.

think about it.