Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone here read graphic novels/comics?

Just finished reading Watchmen and it was pretty good. Looking forward to the movie, though I doubt it will be on par with the graphic novel. Also started reading Y: The Last Man, which I also found to be quite compelling.

Just curious, does anyone on these forums read graphic novels? If so, do you have any you would recommend?

02-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really depends on the type of genre you are looking for. Wanted, V for Vendetta, the Sandman Series, Any of the Kevin Smith penned Batman or Daredevil graphic novels are all very high on my list of recommendations. The Ultimates series is also a good read that gives a nice twist to the heros of the marvel universe.
02-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really I'm up for anything. Super heroes or not. Though Watchmen looked (and looks like on the big screen) a bunch of super heroes, it really was quite the opposite. Thanks for your input, I'll put them on my list. Always see a lot about Sandman. And since Wanted/V for Vendetta are past movies, I'll probably get to those one way or another. Luckily, I've yet to see either of those movies.
02-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

also reading watchman now.
would love to read way more... today I mostly animating them

here is a super hero shot movie I made almost five years ago

MySpace Video - Video Charts - User Videos - All - Today's Top Plays

02-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Thanks for your input, I'll put them on my list. Always see a lot about Sandman.
If you are into the regular kind of novels as well Neil Gaiman is the writer for the series and his novels are also quite good. Out of all of them American Gods has the most in common with the Sandman series thematically.
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
also reading watchman now.
would love to read way more... today I mostly animating them

here is a super hero shot movie I made almost five years ago

MySpace Video - Video Charts - User Videos - All - Today's Top Plays
You are an animator? Nice. But I can't click on your video. Says its private.
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi yes I am an animator but this is for another forum

you can see some of my work by looking for redpigoens on Google

or at:
main

this is more of the commercial stuff I do
siting on my a** all day, photography is my great pleasure as in makes me go out and about on my feet... good change !!

Last edited by redpigeons; 02-11-2009 at 11:07 AM.
02-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for them to make a movie or series of them of James Rollins "Sigma" series
02-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Some additional graphic novel recs:

Black Hole (mysterious plague attacks teens in the 80s/early 90s)
Fables (fairy tale characters live in an odd little section of NYC, among other things)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (forget the movie--this is one of the best comics)
Marvel 1602 (all your favorite Marvel superheroes, but in the 17th century)
The Walking Dead (the best attempt at a zombie graphic novel so far)
Top Ten (unconventional and brilliant superhero comic)
Transmetropolitan (really, really great if you're 15 years old--still pretty awesome if you're not)
We3 (superintelligent weaponized pets escape from a government lab and try to survive)
02-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, the classics. Watchmen, and V For Vendetta, are (the) two graphic novels of note I've owned a long time.

Always thought V For Vendetta needed to be a BBC miniseries, rather than crammed into a feature film, but I was happy to see that.

And rather disappointed they couldn't work in a version of 'Vicious Cabaret.' We used to sing that in high school before we'd read the comics.
02-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As being of asian descent, i read japanese manga (comics, graphic novels - however you want to translate it)...

and well, there's a lot.... a large range from childish stuff to adult....

if you like the violent stuff, i would have to suggest Hellsing (vampires!) and Black Lagoon...

Case Closed is also good - meant for kids but it has such adult overtones.... with people being murdered left right and center.... a good series to keep up with if you want to learn some hundred or so tricks to murder a person and try form an alibi.... (till some kid with glasses comes along and sees through it)
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

+1 for Hellsing. Alucard rules.