Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

It's certainly been busier in terms of volume available but IMHO prices are still too high on most items, particularly old F and A stuff that is hard to find, sellers still think they can ask $1300US for an 85/1.4, sorry but it's cheaper to buy a D80 or a 40D and get a similar lens from competing brands and the lens has auto focus.

I haven't bought anything in ages and feel pretty settled right now.

02-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's probably just that many more people on the forum that the sale numbers are proportional to the increase. Prices aren't much different to before, as mentioned, but the variety is good.

Keep it coming, I say, and support the forum financially to keep the marketplace free for buyers and sellers to use.
02-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
It's certainly been busier in terms of volume available but IMHO prices are still too high on most items, particularly old F and A stuff that is hard to find, sellers still think they can ask $1300US for an 85/1.4, sorry but it's cheaper to buy a D80 or a 40D and get a similar lens from competing brands and the lens has auto focus.

I haven't bought anything in ages and feel pretty settled right now.
that may be true to a point, but some lenses like the A 200mm f4 macro gets bought by C users and converted for use.
02-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've sold a good deal of stuff lately, but only to fund the purchase of more expensive stuff. I've got the A* 200mm Macro on the way, and am looking to get a 85mm 1.4 ASAP.

The marketplace seems to go through phases. Lots of old rare stuff will go up for sale one month, then it will be more mundane stuff for a while, then lots of macro stuff, etc.

I've noticed lately that the number of older * and other rare lenses seems to have gone down on ebay. I guess it's probably just that people saw desire for Pentax lenses go up as the K10D and K20D really increased the popularity of the brand so they sold these lenses which they didn't use. Now most of the lenses are in the hands of people that want to hold on to them so the supply has dried up. At least most prices have been dropping lately.

02-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ha, ha, onset of the LBA disease. Perhaps you need to subject yourself to a decision matrix:

Do I already have a lens/gear that can cover the focal length in question?
Do I have the budget?
Is there a cheaper alternative?
Will I ever have the time and inclination to shoot the kind of subject the lens is best suited for? (eg. extreme tele, fisheye, etc)
Do I have space to store it?
Am I buying because I need to keep up with the Joneses (pride of ownership) or will I buy to maximise it's use?
Is it a want or a need?

You could also restrict your choice to a few criteria: for example must be AF only, must have A setting, < $250, setting a buying quota, etc.
The problem of LBA is much like digital photography, it is much easier to accumulate rather than delete. Good luck!!!
Those rules does not apply to an addict.
02-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

One thing to keep in mind. It's that time of year where a lot of hobbyist photographers come out of hibernation. For a lot of folks, that means the itch to acquire something new and different as far as lenses go. Lots of them have to let something go to get something new due to what the budget will endure.

Oh yeah, and the sheer volume of posts on this place is through the roof since I joined. There's just more in EVERY section, not just the market place.
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
One thing to keep in mind. It's that time of year where a lot of hobbyist photographers come out of hibernation. For a lot of folks, that means the itch to acquire something new and different as far as lenses go. Lots of them have to let something go to get something new due to what the budget will endure.

Oh yeah, and the sheer volume of posts on this place is through the roof since I joined. There's just more in EVERY section, not just the market place.
I would have joined the forum long before I did. I just didn't know about it.