Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Flickr Question

Something weird just happened to me on flickr. I used it to host a picture of a friend that I copied off of MySpace and tried to do some quick touch up on. The picture had the title "Raychel for noise reduction" - because there was a lot of noise in the picture - before I even got a chance to set it to private only, it had six views. All of my other pictures don't have six views combined, and this one got that in literally 5 seconds.

I deleted the picture, because the idea wasn't to have it get a lot of views but just to host it so I could send her a suggested replacement for the picture she had.

My question is, does anyone know why that would happen? It just seemed really weird to me that so many people would view it so quickly. I posted another picture with the same title, but it's of a VW Bug(as an experiment), and it has no views, so it's not the title.

02-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you go to Flickr and look under the explore menu you will see a "most recent uploads" link, which is a stream of pictures currently being uploaded by all users. There are usually a couple thousand photos per minute being uploaded.

There are ways of keeping photos from showing up in there (or in searches, etc.) depending on how you have your privacy settings. You might try setting your photos to "Private" (instead of the default "Public") before you upload if you want to restrict who sees them. The disadvantage of at least some of the privacy settings is that your friends will also need to have Flickr accounts and be marked as friends under your account to be able to see your photos.

It's not unusual for a couple of people to have looked at a picture between the time I upload it and when I get around to labelling it, tends to happen mostly with my car photos. I don't upload anything I want to keep private online so I haven't played around with the privacy settings much myself.
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The recent uploads page shows it, along with many other factors. Flickr has over 10 million users, so you're going to get a few page views.
02-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks

That makes sense, she happens to be a very good looking girl, so I guess that's why she got a lot more views than the picture a VW I didn't know they had the recently uploaded section.

Yeah I meant to set it to private before I uploaded it. Unfortunately the only way to send photos through myspace(that I know of), is to have the image hosted, and to include the HTML link in the message, you can't attach the file to the message. I'll have to set up a site to host my own stuff.

Thanks all.