Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, thanks everyone. That was the third time that I had actually done it. Later that night (about 7 hours later) I went back there because I took my bandage off and it was still bleeding (it shouldn't have been) and I saw a friend giving blood so I was standing by her, but right when she was finishing, I started feeling incredibly light headed and I thought I was going to pass out! I went over and sat down and started eating some stuff after that, but I still don't know why I had that problem...I've never had it before then. It won't stop me from doing it again, though.

02-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plasma Donor

I went to the Blood Bank yesterday but I don't give whole blood, I give plasma - the straw coloured fluid in which the blood cells travel. The plasma is extracted from the blood and the red cells are returned to you. This means I can donate every two weeks and yesterday was donation number 331.

I am O Negative blood type but plasma is not typed and can be given to anyone.
02-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Ha, thanks everyone. That was the third time that I had actually done it. Later that night (about 7 hours later) I went back there because I took my bandage off and it was still bleeding (it shouldn't have been) and I saw a friend giving blood so I was standing by her, but right when she was finishing, I started feeling incredibly light headed and I thought I was going to pass out! I went over and sat down and started eating some stuff after that, but I still don't know why I had that problem...I've never had it before then. It won't stop me from doing it again, though.

Did you eat before you went to get the blood taken? That happened to me once only because I used to just have coffee for breakfast and no actual food.
02-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I went to the Blood Bank yesterday but I don't give whole blood, I give plasma - the straw coloured fluid in which the blood cells travel. The plasma is extracted from the blood and the red cells are returned to you. This means I can donate every two weeks and yesterday was donation number 331.

Huh, never heard of that. Sounds like a good idea too. I may have to contact our local Red Cross and ask them if they do that here.

02-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
ramshot

I donate blood regularly. I am O Neg. also. People with O Neg. blood are universal donors. Which means their blood can be used by people with all other blood types. Everyone should donate blood if they are able to. It is one of the best ways to help your community.
02-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Did you eat before you went to get the blood taken? That happened to me once only because I used to just have coffee for breakfast and no actual food.
7 hours later?
02-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote

Since, plasma donations are done at the Blood Center and not at mobiles, with 331 donations I assume you have a parking spot with your name on it.

Great job.

Tim

02-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #23
Inactive Account

7 hours later?
Okay, how about have anything to eat afterwards? (I'm tired and can't think straight in the mornings.... work nights... try sleep days....)
02-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Later that night (about 7 hours later) I went back there....I went over and sat down and started eating some stuff
So you did just do it for the juice-n-cookies. I bet they've never had anybody make himself at home quite like that before, coming back for seconds. Please tell us you didn't show up for breakfast the next morning.

(If things are tight, maybe we could all chip in and get you a McDonald's gift certificate or something to tide you over).
02-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Just got back for donating. I went to a mobile blood drive that was sponsored by one of the local car dealerships. Free tee-shirt, certificate for a free oil change, a small calculator my kid's have already claimed and a mouse pad. Not bad for less than an hour of my time. Oh, I skipped the cookies and had a donut hole instead.

Tim
02-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wilkin Quote
I tried to give blood, but I was told I couldn't cause of all my tattoos
Kinda sucks doesn't it?