Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Going to Paris this weekend....

Any tips for dos and donts when it comes to photography there? I've heard that "street" photography is pretty frowned upon, though I am mostly interested in getting some shots of the big sights. Spending two weeks in Belgium so figured this could make for a nice weekend trip.

02-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hmmm, the Atlanta to Paris connection must be strong My wife if French so we go every year to see her family. I have never had a problem taking pictures in Paris. My wife has scolded me for taking pictures of a police car saying the police and Genadarme don't particularly like to be photographed, but other than that I never was dissuaded from photos. Besides, Paris is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world, there are literally thousands of people with cameras walking around.
02-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting Misconception...

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Any tips for dos and donts when it comes to photography there? I've heard that "street" photography is pretty frowned upon, though I am mostly interested in getting some shots of the big sights. Spending two weeks in Belgium so figured this could make for a nice weekend trip.
"I've heard that "street" photography is pretty frowned upon" That is so far from the truth. There are literally millions of tourists taking images in Paris with absolutely no problem what so ever. What is your source. I live in one of the most touristic parts of Paris, Montmartre and it is rare that I do not see tourists without camera's. No, there is no problem what so ever.

Ben
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
"I've heard that "street" photography is pretty frowned upon" That is so far from the truth. There are literally millions of tourists taking images in Paris with absolutely no problem what so ever. What is your source. I live in one of the most touristic parts of Paris, Montmartre and it is rare that I do not see tourists without camera's. No, there is no problem what so ever.

Ben
THere was a thread on one of the photo forums about how street photography (i.e. taking pictures of random people in public) was getting hammered legally in many European cities including Paris. Been a year or two since reading that so wanted to see if that was actually true or not...

02-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

do try to look for shots that no one has done before ... haha not just the usual Eiffel Tower from Trocadero and the L'Arc de Triomphe. not that you shouldn't take one for yourself ...

belgium is awesome. i was in brussels for one day and i didn't manage to eat enough chocolate, drink enough beer, eat enough fries or waffles
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
Hmmm, the Atlanta to Paris connection must be strong My wife if French so we go every year to see her family. I have never had a problem taking pictures in Paris. My wife has scolded me for taking pictures of a police car saying the police and Genadarme don't particularly like to be photographed, but other than that I never was dissuaded from photos. Besides, Paris is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world, there are literally thousands of people with cameras walking around.
Wait a second, you're not Scott from the WRX club are you?
02-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Is there room in your luggage for something about 6'4" & 185lbs?

I hear the authorities only hassle tourists with pro-style Canon cameras. Your Pentax without the battery grip would have been fine.

02-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #8

I bought my K10D just for my last trip to Paris 2 years ago. I had absolutely no problems taking pictures, except for the time my batteries died on me on cold night on a Seine riverboat tour.

The Louvre lets you take pictures most everywhere, but they do have some off limits exhibits. They will tell you where they are with very explicit signs. Even so, I got some great pictures of the Venus De Milo when everyone else started taking shots in spite of the signs saying not to.

The Musee D'orsey (sp?) will let you take pictures everywhere. I have the entire Van Gogh exhibit on film/SD Card. Of the two museums Musee D'orsey is the one to pick if you have to pick.

Elsewhere in the city I took shots of whatever I wanted whenever I wanted using the same caution and tact that I use here in the states. Of course according to my girlfriend that isn't all that much.

The metro underground is a great place as well. Take a look at my Paris stuff on flickr, it may give you some idea of whats in store for you.

You should be fine.
02-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Tips: Take as many spare batteries and extra SD cards as you can. The city is FULL of photographs just waiting to be taken. It's a architectural and cityscape shooter's dream. Museums aplenty and landmarks around every corner. Bring you wides as well as your teles as Paris has it's village-like areas as well as its long distant thoroughfares and along the river Seine. Too much to mention really...you're gonna love it.

By the way, feel free to use your camera just about anywhere with no "frowns" whatsoever. whoever told you that is dead wrong.

Enjoy.

Jason
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I am carrying 26 gigs worth of storage and enough battery for 3,000-4,000 shots so I should be ok. Definitely bringing the wide: 15-30mm on full frame which is plenty!
02-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #11

Wait a second, you're not Scott from the WRX club are you?
Sure am! Who is this?
02-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sure am! Who is this?
Looks like you've got a Pentax stalker there son...

02-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Looks like you've got a Pentax stalker there son...

Nah, just someone who uses a different screen name, just didn't know anyone else in our club went with a Pemtax system...
02-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure am! Who is this?
Just the Swedish guy.

Paris was nice, though I don't think I've seen so many homeless, bums and street hustlers since going to San Fransisco!

Had enough time to visit Le Louvre, Saint-Chapelle, Notre Dame, Tour Eiffel, Les Invalides, Jim Morrison's grave in Pere Lachaise, and some other things. Walked the entire time and man are my legs tired.

Will post some shots when I get back. I am very glad I made the call to bring the 15-30mm zoom (on FF, quite wide) since it let me get some shots of areas I never could've managed otherwise.

Beautiful, beautiful city, lots of nice people, great food. Expensive!
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #15

Just the Swedish guy.

Paris was nice, though I don't think I've seen so many homeless, bums and street hustlers since going to San Fransisco!

Had enough time to visit Le Louvre, Saint-Chapelle, Notre Dame, Tour Eiffel, Les Invalides, Jim Morrison's grave in Pere Lachaise, and some other things. Walked the entire time and man are my legs tired.

Will post some shots when I get back. I am very glad I made the call to bring the 15-30mm zoom (on FF, quite wide) since it let me get some shots of areas I never could've managed otherwise.

Beautiful, beautiful city, lots of nice people, great food. Expensive!
You have some great pics in your blog! As I said, had no idea you shot with a Pentax. Let me know if you set some time aside to go shoot locally!