Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax photogallery

I had been submitting a few shots to the site. The funny thing is that the inferior photos were picked in preference to my other better shots. That is a bit odd.

Darren told me that these reviews might have a different LCD viewing screen. He advised me to brighten up the picture to 1+ or so in photoshop. It might increase the chance to get photos approved ...

True?

Any of you that re-submit the photos after some editing? I had discarded the rejected ones from the site. I just wondered if there might be just problems with wrong information or wrong catagory being picked?

Thank you for your help in advance

My own link is James Wei in the artist list PENTAX Photo Gallery

03-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I had been submitting a few shots to the site. The funny thing is that the inferior photos were picked in preference to my other better shots. That is a bit odd.

Darren told me that these reviews might have a different LCD viewing screen. He advised me to brighten up the picture to 1+ or so in photoshop. It might increase the chance to get photos approved ...

True?

Any of you that re-submit the photos after some editing? I had discarded the rejected ones from the site. I just wondered if there might be just problems with wrong information or wrong catagory being picked?

Thank you for your help in advance

My own link is James Wei in the artist list PENTAX Photo Gallery
Yessir - I had to resubmit an accepted photo - the 3 Elk in the mist shot. I mis-spelled the title - it read Adjudictor, instead of Adjudicator (meaning judge, panel).

They accepted it again - I added notes in the comments section that it had been previously accepted. Sometimes it's a bit of a crap shoot my friend.

Cheers,
Marc
03-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm. So I need to bump up my brightness a bit in my shots that were rejected? My condo tower shot and the Square One shot was turned down, but they took the clock tower. When I look at them now, the rejects were a little darker.

Glad to hear you got in James!
03-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

All quite subjective

I was quite surprised by some of the shots they selected versus rejected too.

Here are my general impressions on what they are looking for;

1. Composition definately matters. I have no doubt that some of my rejects were just not interesting enough. Nice shots but a bit dull or maybe cliched. The ones they selected do have something a bit more interesting about them. One of them even has flare on from raindrops on the lens, so they are obviously not after complete perfection.

2. They seem to be going after a particular look. Most, but certainly not all, of the shots are quite saturated. Some of them are even a bit too saturated for my taste (but then I was always a provia rather than a velvia person). I can see why they do this; what works for the web is different to what works in the print world. Astia type unsaturated colours can look beautiful with the right subject in a print but probably don't leap out on the screen unless the subject is really interesting in its own right.

3. It probably helps to have a calibrated monitor. I don't. In fact mine is decidedly uncalibrated. Little I can do about this for now as I cannot for the moment afford calibration software (£80 over here!). A few of my shots might have been a bit darker. I really have no idea.

4. If you submit lots of similar shots they will pick the best one or two. They aren't going to accept 10 waterfall shots. I wasn't sure what they wanted so submitted a lot of photos on the same theme. They didn't pick my favourites but photography is subjective.

Don't get too disheartened. I've only had 4 accepted and plenty of rejects. I do like the idea of the gallery though. Firstly, it makes me want to keep buying Pentax rather than other lenses, which can only be good for their marketing department. Secondly, I get to see my images looking nice on a fancy website. Thirdly, its a brilliant learning tool. I've been searching photos by lens and subject and getting lots of creative ideas. I sometimes do this on pbase, but there are a lot of dull photos on there, and I like the fact that you can always see what settings and lens were used.

03-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Pentaxkat try Monitor Calibration Wizard 1.0 its a free calibration wizard... Not perfect by any stretch but definitely better than nothing.

QuoteQuote:
maybe cliched
I agree that they seem to be looking for unique pictures, none of my Macro's of flowers got in.

Heck I'm just glad the've let one of mine in so far.
03-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

how does one contribute. I looked at the site, some nice photos, horrible slow flash interface, but didn't see any method to contribute. Is it a membership thing?
03-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
how does one contribute. I looked at the site, some nice photos, horrible slow flash interface, but didn't see any method to contribute. Is it a membership thing?
Not a membership at all. You can send an email to photogallery@pentax.com. They'll send you an invite and further instructions.

03-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Sometimes it's a bit of a crap shoot my friend.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks, Marc. I would have to change style and try different themes instead

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hmmm. So I need to bump up my brightness a bit in my shots that were rejected? My condo tower shot and the Square One shot was turned down, but they took the clock tower. When I look at them now, the rejects were a little darker.

Glad to hear you got in James!
Darren M told me this deep but I found my moody or darker shots were all declined. I am going to try to submit the brightened shots tomorrow instead

Thanks. I got in 4 days ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkat Quote
I was quite surprised by some of the shots they selected versus rejected too.

Here are my general impressions on what they are looking for;

1. Composition definately matters.
2. They seem to be going after a particular look.
3. It probably helps to have a calibrated monitor.
4. If you submit lots of similar shots they will pick the best one or two.
Thanks for this fantastic overview of the gallery. I guess the aim of the site is to promote pentax lenses with unique images ... It is kind of fun to shoot since it will force photographers to vary style of shooting.

My monitor is calibrated... Maybe theirs is not ?