Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

A little ebay seller issue

Hey People,

I recently brought a 77mm IR filter from ebay for a 82mm lens. Before I made the purchase, I've check with the seller whether a 82mm was available, but they didn't have it. So instead they offered me a 77mm with a free stepup ring 77-82mm. Which is fine for me so I took it.

Now they sent me the IR filter but with a wrong stepring for 82-77mm, which is the other way around. I've contacted them about this and they now wants me to send the wrong stepup ring back before they'll exchange for the right one.

For me, it'll cost as much to sent it back then to make another buy. This is actually my first bad experience with online buying, couldn't have guess it with a power seller.

My question is, should I just leave them a bad comment or crop it?
What would you do?

02-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Negative feedback and buy the step ring you need elsewhere.
02-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It sounds like a human mistake. Most people buy step-down rings (step-ups usually cause vignetting or other nasty issues...usually) so I'm sure that is what they thought you meant. Since rings are so cheap, I'd just mark it up to fate.

I wouldn't leave negative feedback. Negative feedback is ultimately intended to warn people of scams or other malicious behavior from a seller. It doesn't sound like there was any malicious intent. Besides, they offered to send it to you for free, which is above and beyond what they were required to do in the auction.

Sometimes frustrating things happen and no-one is to blame ultimately.

Just my thoughts.
02-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A little ebay seller issue

Agree with netuser, the seller made the mistake & should send you the correct stepup ring you purchased without charge.

Has happened to me twice [fleabay] & both times the seller has corrected their mistake & absorbed the shipping cost themselves.

This is why feedback is there.

Wal'

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote

02-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
It sounds like a human mistake. Most people buy step-down rings (step-ups usually cause vignetting or other nasty issues...usually) so I'm sure that is what they thought you meant. Since rings are so cheap, I'd just mark it up to fate.

I wouldn't leave negative feedback. Negative feedback is ultimately intended to warn people of scams or other malicious behavior from a seller. It doesn't sound like there was any malicious intent. Besides, they offered to send it to you for free, which is above and beyond what they were required to do in the auction.

Just my thoughts.
I tend to agree with navcom at this stage, because we don't know how clear and specific you were with the questions to the seller. But assuming you were and they seemed to understand based on their answers, then I would Write them back once more and quote the previous communications requesting they fix the issue at their expense since they messed up. If they don't make it right, then it's the red dot time.
02-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There is also the issue of frequent confusion with the "step-down" vs "step-up" nomenclature. Usually, step-up means the filter is larger than the lens, and step-down the opposite, but people often mean it the other way. Regardless, the lens size should go first, and the filter size second. So a 77-82 should be for a large filter on a smaller lens, whether one calls it a step-up or -down.

It was probably an honest mistake, and for little money, so negative feedback is excessive in my opinion. I would just tell them that you understand they acted in good faith but that they should make good on their error, and if not, I'd just eat the costs and buy somewhere else in the future.
02-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Hey People,

I recently brought a 77mm IR filter from ebay for a 82mm lens. Before I made the purchase, I've check with the seller whether a 82mm was available, but they didn't have it. So instead they offered me a 77mm with a free stepup ring 77-82mm. Which is fine for me so I took it.

Now they sent me the IR filter but with a wrong stepring for 82-77mm, which is the other way around. I've contacted them about this and they now wants me to send the wrong stepup ring back before they'll exchange for the right one.

For me, it'll cost as much to sent it back then to make another buy. This is actually my first bad experience with online buying, couldn't have guess it with a power seller.

My question is, should I just leave them a bad comment or crop it?
What would you do?
Well you DID buy the 77mm filter instead of the 82mm filter. They didn't force you to buy there 77mm filter to start out with. If they offered you the 82mm filter as a gift, than I see no harm done, and it is your fault for buying the wrong filter.
But if they stated that it would come with the free stepup/stepdown ring, then they should of gave the correct one, which ever one they stated.

02-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

WHY oh WHY would you agree to buy a smaller filter than was designed to fit on the lens? A 77mm filter on an 82mm diameter lens WILL cause vignetting and will be unusable for all practical purposes.

YOU got SHNOOKERED!
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh, how I wish as a seller I could get a list of people who would leave negative feedback at the drop of a hat, so that I could block them forever.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ya, my 82mm lens wide have a smaller front element that shouldn't matter with 77mm filters and my other most used lens is 77mm too.

The seller just offered a solution of using a step ring (but I wasn't aware of the typical confusion Slomojoe mentioned, I guess that was the case with the seller as well).

But after all, I had the choice to accept or not. I just didn't think much for as long as it'll work.

So yep, there are plenty of lessons out there to reminder buyer cautious. Lesson learned.

Thanks people
02-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still think you should be getting an 82mm IR filter - there's a reason why each lens has its own filter size, smaller front element or not.

The DA 12-24 does have a small front element, but I wouldn't dream of fitting a 72mm filter onto it, thinking it won't cause vignetting.

Do things right the first time, and you won't regret it in the long term.
02-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Igilligan

No No not negative yet...

Mistakes can happen... especially on a step up/down ring. Give them a chance to do right first.

I recently ordered a 52 to 55 step up ring... It got shipped out right away and I received it in 3 days... the box said 52 -55 step up, but in the box was the opposite, a 55 to 52 step down. Someone, somewhere had mixed up the rings.

I called the company and they shipped the new one out the next day, no charge and told me to keep the other.

Mistakes happen. Call them... ask them to ship you the new one with prepaid shipping envelope or you will have to leave them a neg feedback. Give them an option.

But I agree with Mike .. I will step up, but would not have stepped down in this instance.

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-18-2009 at 01:47 AM.
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote

Just my thoughts.
The seller messed up and now the buyer has to pay for it, how does that not deserve bad feedback? If all ebay buyers were like you, most of the negative feedback currently on ebay, wouldn't exist...
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The seller messed up alright... by offering that FREE step-up-down-whatever ring in the first place. Like I said, I'd love to have a list of buyers that would leave negative feedback because the FREE thing they got wasn't what they needed, so I could block them forever.

Absolutely ridiculous when buyers refuse to accept any responsibility for what they buy on their own accord.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
The seller messed up and now the buyer has to pay for it, how does that not deserve bad feedback? If all ebay buyers were like you, most of the negative feedback currently on ebay, wouldn't exist...
02-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got a reply from the seller and he will send the step ring first thing tomorrow. , resolved!

And well, like all issues, people stand on positions they most advantage from. Who doesn't?

My little mentality thinks that there is no absolute about anything (the statement itself included). Peace.