Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

This is a terrible thing to happen. You should be covered by the paypal insurance if you paid the lens through the service. Did you actually have the item coming to you via registered post?

02-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Harmonica Quote
There was no lens, just a small piece of rock inside.
Was the parcel big enough for the lens in question? If so, perhaps the seller put it in there but it got replaced on the way? I'd be cautious to assign the blame at this stage.

I have to admit that I'm not impressed by the communication of the seller in the respective thread (and the other SELL thread doesn't look great either) but still I wouldn't forgo further investigations at this stage.

Last edited by Class A; 02-17-2009 at 02:02 PM.
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But what communication ensued between the seller and Harmonica after the parcel arrived?

Jeff's story on ZUG.com was quite a feat. He remained quite cordial throughout the bogus transaction. And he obviously had the time to construct the fake laptop...

Good on him - it's an entertaining read...
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully that's the last time you or anyone else ends up getting scammed here. But it probably won't be. For what it's worth: watch out for Craigslist too!

02-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I hate to say it, but I would be suspicious of any member whose activity is limited to sales. The bad guy for this thread had quite a few non-substance comments and only two real posts...both items for sale. The first was probably a bogus sale designed to bolster buyer confidence.

What is it they call this kind of approach? Oh yes, the "Long Con"...

Steve
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The moderation team has looked into this and the seller's user account is banned permanently. The user's IP address is banned by the admin.

The offending seller is not responding to pms from the forum moderation team. For future references, avoid dealing with members with few post counts. Try to use registered post for transaction and payment shall be through paypal.com system. The seller or buyer paypal addresses are better verified to increase the safety of transactions.
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ooooo...sorry to hear that

Is showing up on the seller's doorstep a possibility...maybe for another French member?

Assuming you have the right address...involve the police?

I wouldn't put it past a postal worker who saw "Camera Equipment - Value 1000EUR" or similar written on the label to take it in transit.

As for this forum...I've had nothing but positive transactions...about 15 in total...plus 65 on ebay and a few through other forums...2 of my "issues" on ebay were resolved with the sellers, not requiring PayPal action.

02-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sorry to hear this unforunate news

An administrator will PM you with the information we can provide to help you report this to the authorities. If you paid via PayPal, you will likely be able to recover your funds by filing a dispute. I hope you'll be able to resolve this issue!

I also urge all Marketplace users to double-check the trustworthiness of sellers (by reading feedback, verifying correct grammar and formatting in Marketplace posts, and making sure the item being sold is in existence by requesting photos should they not be provided) before making any purchases!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The offending seller is not responding to pms from the forum moderation team.
This is sad news. I'm really sorry for the OP's loss and hope he'll be able to get his money back one way or the other.

Seems stupid to send a rock via post. The scammer could have saved the postage for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I also urge all Marketplace users to double-check the trustworthiness of sellers (by reading feedback, verifying correct grammar and formatting in Marketplace posts, and making sure the item being sold is in existence by requesting photos should they not be provided) before making any purchases!
I think non-native speakers should be forgiven incorrect usage of English. The main thing is that they are genuine sellers/buyers.

Last edited by Class A; 02-17-2009 at 07:46 PM.
02-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Non-native speakers can still make things clear about what they're selling.

Grammatical and spelling errors can be excused if they don't cause misunderstanding...

It's unfortunate that the legitimate and honest newbies are penalised in this way, but I'd agree that some degree of contribution to the forum would help built a positive reputation somewhat for selling their gear here.
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #26

OMG

I feel sorry for you. Hopefully you will get your money back. The admin and mods are already onto this.
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand why people do this (assuming that the seller is at fault). They obviously have no compassion at all for other human beings, very dispiccable in my book. It just makes me sad and angry at the same time that people do this sort of thing. I'm sure your heart must have sunk when you opened the box and only saw a rock inside . My sentiments.

Good luck with getting some closure and funds back with this case.
-Jim
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
...I don't understand why people do this ....
You've gotta be kidding!!!
What's there to not understand. Some people take advantage of other people. Gotta be the oldest kind of trick out there.

Harmonica, I really feel your pain. I've got scammed once on this forum once as well (there is a post with my rant somewhere here). Although my damages were not severe, it still stung a bit.
I am in no way trying to excuse whoever pulled this crap, nor trying to belittle your loss and disappointment.
I sincerely hope you get to recover your losses.
02-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #29
Forum Member

Man, that is quite unfortunate and it wasn't cheap.

I had a somewhat different experience where I sold something (expensive) on ebay and the buyer paid by paypal. As soon as I sent the item, the balance bounced. I've never recovered the money from paypal, they refused to protect sellers.

Good luck with it. Hope you get your money back.
02-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Warning - scammer in the Marketplace

Its both Buyer & Seller beware, eight months back I bought the Pentax 31mm Ltd on fleabay for $645.00 AUD here in Australia, paid direct deposit bank to bank thinking I would be covered using my own bank [ANZ].

Complete scam, the seller had opened an account with Wespac [Oz Bank] & got away with my money & who knows how many other buyer's.

Both Banks & Fleabay refused to help & I was told to contact the Police.

Filed a complaint with them & I have not heard from them since, just to hard I guess.

Again, you take your chances with any Internet purchase sadly.

Wal'

QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Man, that is quite unfortunate and it wasn't cheap.

I had a somewhat different experience where I sold something (expensive) on ebay and the buyer paid by paypal. As soon as I sent the item, the balance bounced. I've never recovered the money from paypal, they refused to protect sellers.

Good luck with it. Hope you get your money back.