Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #31
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Man, that is quite unfortunate and it wasn't cheap.

I had a somewhat different experience where I sold something (expensive) on ebay and the buyer paid by paypal. As soon as I sent the item, the balance bounced. I've never recovered the money from paypal, they refused to protect sellers.

Good luck with it. Hope you get your money back.
I've sent the OP as much data as we have available to try to help him recover from this bad situation.

Paypal "bounced"? How so? The buyer had an unconfirmed account? They did nothing for you?

02-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Its a well used scam used by unscrupulous buyers, they claim the item either never arrived or was damaged etc & PayPal refunds the buyer leaving the seller out of pocket.

Wal'

Peter Zack
Paypal "bounced"? How so? The buyer had an unconfirmed account? They did nothing for you?[/QUOTE]
02-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

This really sucks.

FWIW, I NEVER look hard at purchasing something from this or any other source when the seller is either completely new or has only been around a few days and decides to start posting things for sale. Hey, scammers come in all shapes, sizes and from all directions. Not to create a witch hunt here, but if you scan the board at the items for sale right now, you'll notice lots of high priced gear for sale buy very very new board members.

We would all like to think we have a trustworthy little community here on this board, but the fact is, anyone can sign up and post things for sale...buyers beware.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-18-2009 at 07:39 AM.
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm feel for you; I was ripped off on an Ebay auction a few years back.

Sadly, with almost 12,000 members here there are bound to be a few crooks.

02-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think there is more to this than just a scam. Why in the world would a person pay for a rock to be shipped to you that was stealing your money? There would have to be a return address on the box because you can't ship a box without weighing it and getting the the post payed. It sounds more like someone in shipping stole the lens and put the rock into the box and the seller is now afraid because he dosen't know what happened.
Just a thought
Jack
02-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I think there is more to this than just a scam. Why in the world would a person pay for a rock to be shipped to you that was stealing your money? There would have to be a return address on the box because you can't ship a box without weighing it and getting the the post payed. It sounds more like someone in shipping stole the lens and put the rock into the box and the seller is now afraid because he doesn't know what happened.
Just a thought
Jack
I thought the same thing, when I read the Ops post. also, was the rock well packaged (like a lens would be)? or was it just inside the box, so it just rattled around freely? also did the box looked tampered with? I personally put a lot of tape on my packages (multiple layers) and cover all seems and corners of the box to help prevent easy tampering. I would imagine, that something being sent from France would be well packaged to help guard against such a long rough and tumble journey.

something doesn't seem right here, but I just don't know what it is... I mean if the point was to just scam you out of money why send a rock? why not send and empty box or a box full of paper? or not send anything at all?
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Man that sucks...

Pat

Last edited by ve2vfd; 02-24-2009 at 01:44 PM.
02-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Paypal "bounced"? How so? The buyer had an unconfirmed account? They did nothing for you?
I think the buyer used a stolen CC or something. According (to paypal), I've sent the item too quick for them to realise (like after 2 days!).

Oh and FYI, Paypal have the power (and they will) lock your paypal accounts whenever they want without warning (no matter when amount of balance you have in there). And they will only unlock them for as long as you send them whatever information they need from you which includes business registration, inventory account information, etc, etc.

When I was an ebay seller, my account was lock with ~AU$1000.00 in it for about 3 months, only did they release it after I sent them more than 10 documents. I gaveup my ebay selling business after that because I had other things to do and it wasn't worth it.

Do a google search about paypal freuds and you'll know what I mean. They have a great wall of lawsuits lined up with businesses in court. I now empty every cent in that account!

Enough said, just beware people!
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

If you post/ship "the rock" [I know, that sound's a little weird] you then have proof/receipts that you did indeed ship a package.

Wal'

séamuis
something doesn't seem right here, but I just don't know what it is... I mean if the point was to just scam you out of money why send a rock? why not send and empty box or a box full of paper? or not send anything at all?
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #40

Hi all, I am really sorry to hear about this as well... my first and only experience with the marketplace was wonderful, and I am usually skiddish about these things. I would only say that while I visit this forum quite often, rarely do I feel the need or have the time to post comments, even if I did have something constructive to say. I am usually just content to soak up others' knowledge. I would hope that this wouldn't preclude me (or others like me) from participating in the marketplace. I have been screwing up my courage to by a DA* 14mm when a good one comes along...
02-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I think buyers with low post counts are less of a concern than sellers. Also, join date is also helpful. Even if you don't post, at least join!
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #42

Like Jess, I also do far more reading than posting since I'm new to digital. I did buy my K10D through the Marketplace shortly after I joined and did it with no apprehension whatsoever; but, I did check feedback first.
I'm shocked at what has happened to the OP and applaud the moderators for their actions. I do hope he gets his money back.
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
Forum Member

sorry to hear that happened. I've been lucky in all of my dealings so far. Probably because I usually insist on the item being sent first.
02-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I don't mean to be harsh but for the utter life of me I cannot understand why anyone so much as considers buying gear when images of the actual item are not posted as well as images from the lens in question. If it's a new member ask for specific images like "f/8 image of a lawn' or 'image of a fork shot wide open'.

I have lost countless buys for this reason but you need to cover yourself.
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I don't mean to be harsh but for the utter life of me I cannot understand why anyone so much as considers buying gear when images of the actual item are not posted as well as images from the lens in question. If it's a new member ask for specific images like "f/8 image of a lawn' or 'image of a fork shot wide open'.

I have lost countless buys for this reason but you need to cover yourself.
actually the seller DID post an image. I believe this is the post they are talking about
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/45386-eu-k20d-s...mm-f2-8-a.html