Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Warning - scammer in the Marketplace

I bought Sigma EX 300mm f2,8 lens from this forum's market place on the 2th of January 2009. After many e-mails to seller, he finally shipped postage parcell to me on the 30th of January (from France). I got that post package today on the 17th of February. There was no lens, just a small piece of rock inside. As you might belive that lens was not a cheap one.

Unfortunately there are cheaters/dishonest people registered to this forums members as well.

02-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to report the seller to Adam... Also, if you paid by Paypal, you need to file a dispute immediately.

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have done that allready today.
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harmonica Quote
I bought Sigma EX 300mm f2,8 lens from this forum's market place on the 2th of January 2009. After many e-mails to seller, he finally shipped postage parcell to me on the 30th of January (from France). I got that post package today on the 17th of February. There was no lens, just a small piece of rock inside. As you might belive that lens was not a cheap one.

Unfortunately there are cheaters/dishonest people registered to this forums members as well.
That's a bummer to say the least

02-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Please send me the information on the seller. Via PM
02-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonder if this is the lens and seller in question?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/45386-eu-k20d-s...mm-f2-8-a.html
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OMG!
I was about to buy an expansive lens on the forum my GF tried to stop me by putting scary thoughts on my head
now that...
but how else can I ever get a 28-70 *?

02-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Buy an expensive lens from a respected member if you are in doubt. Someone with a few hundred posts and that has already sold here before or can provide you with an Ebay rating. Always use Paypal for a bit better protection.
02-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am really sorry that happened. I bought a few stuff from this board and had smooth transactions.

It also looks like the seller sold his K10D and the 17-35mm sigma lens as well.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/42156-sold-sell-k10d-17-35-sigma-f2-8-a.html

I don't know if he really sold the time to anyone or he just made a "fake" for sale post to give him some credit..

I think we need to add new guidelines on the marketplace.
On many of the boards that I am in, in order to post up an ad, you need to be in the forum for at least 1-2 months and have at least 100 post. This should stop some of the scams.

Also I think that when you sell something, the seller needs to say who they sold it to.

just my $.02
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Sai,

If a newbie's desparate to sell their gear, there's always eBay.
Feedback should always be left (esp. for sellers), and first time sellers can use their eBay seller status for some kudos.

Although at no fault to the forum, this seller can taint the reputation of the forum with such shenanigans. I hope this gets resolved.

Credit to the moderators for their efforts to making this forum what it is... and members, remember to donate to keep it free, too.
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sad story...makes my stomach hurt...

When I joined this forum about a year ago, I had never bought or sold anything through an individual on a forum and I had never really even looked at ebay. My first sale was to a fellow in Singapore and he wanted my bank acct number so he could directly transfer funds to my account. Scared the heck out of me, but all went well and Marcus Young enjoys that A*200 Macro now. I had no marketplace feedback whatsoever, so he's really the one who took a leap of faith. Using PayPal since and don't plan to give out my bank account again...

If he refused to do business with me based on my lack of feedback and lack of ebay ratings, we both would be less happy. So though I agree in theory that you should check feedback and ratings and number of posts...all longterm members can't be presumed "nice guys" and all newbies aren't untrustworthy.

At some level a "gut check" has to be included. Does it feel straight up? Does the seller have good responses to your questions? Does the buyer ask the right questions or just ask for your bank account number? Having made numerous transactions in the past year--mostly international--I'd say you need to pay attention to the verbal discussions before the sale. Does the communication focus on the product and it's condition? Is shipping cost an issue to the buyer or seller? Is the focus on the equipment and logistics or is the focus on getting paid?

Trust and faith are tenuous things in the modern world. All forum sales, not just this one hinge on trust, faith and the goodness we all hope is inherent in mankind. Sometimes that goes awry...I offer no solution, just trust and faith...
02-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Like others I have bought many times with no problem. I always check that the seller has a good eBay rating or something else to validate them. Even then I know there is a risk.

This is horrible and I hope you get it resolved. But to post it as a critique of the entire marketplace is not fair.
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Here's an interesting prank about someone who scammed the scammer... it's really too bad that you had a bad experience, but don't hold it against the entire forum, there really are some good people here who will go to great lengths to help other Pentaxians.

The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook!
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forum members are human beings, and human beings come is a variety of sorts.

A level of trust is certainly required, but it's important to assure yourself that the seller will come up with the goods as promised. If there are doubts, either the seller needs to allay them, or you back off from the deal.

Ask for photos of the gear to review before any commitments are made. But of course, none of these are guarantees that you'll get what you paid for.

I've personally bought and sold on this marketplace a few times as well, almost all internationally, and never had a problem. In fact, without the US sellers here, we Aussies would have to resort to paying double or triple the price for good Pentax gear.

Last edited by Ash; 02-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
''Please send me the information on the seller. Via PM''

PM sent to you.