Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Monitor

This may not be in the correct forum, but I am looking to replace my 17 inch CRT with a flat panel display.

What experience and problems have people noticed.

03-31-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Colour rendition won't be as nice or accurate. Dead pixels can be an issue. That's about it.

You need to give us a budget so we can help you with what is the best unit for your money.

I'm still using a 17" CRT myself. Don't see the need to upgrade... and I doubt my parents would either.
03-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This may not be in the correct forum, but I am looking to replace my 17 inch CRT with a flat panel display.

do yourself a favour and go out and buy a calibrator for the crt that you have, unless it is dead.
if the monitor is a little dull, the calibrator will help fix that as well.
you would be surprised at the results, and it is money well spent.
If you are getting into photoshop or equivilent, then get the LCD as a second monitor in a dual display setup. the crt will be for your main photo editing, and the second monitor would be for the menu and tool bars and/or the internet.
it is nice to have a tutorial on the second monitor and have photoshop on the first monitor so you can practice without having to pop up different windows

good luck with your decision

cheers

randy
03-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Colour rendition won't be as nice or accurate. Dead pixels can be an issue. That's about it.

You need to give us a budget so we can help you with what is the best unit for your money.

I'm still using a 17" CRT myself. Don't see the need to upgrade... and I doubt my parents would either.
Got a true 8-bit LCD panel with 16.7M of colours and use DVI for direct digital transmission. If available, get a model which supports the sRGB mode (or even AdobeRGB if needed). Beware of 6-bit monitors/panels which rated at 16.2M colours which are produced by dithering and both resolution and colour accuracy will be decreased.

Everything should be very accurate, much accurate than any non-professionally calibrated CRT or LCD, for such an economical consumer setup I've mentioned above. :-) And, you will get a very sharp displayed image with per pixel sharpness/resolution without any loss, too (by using the DVI).

I highly recommend to get EIZO monitor as their consumer grade mons are the only monitors with true professional quality that I have seen and used, especially for colour and tone accuracy. Although their prices are still high, they do worth!

03-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ViewSonic VG2230wm

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I recently purchased a ViewSonic 22 inch widescreen on Amazon for about $300, delivered. It is incredible . . . color rendition is beautiful and the clarity certainly aids these old eyes when doing PP in PhotoShop.

BTW, the 22 inch screen allows one to easily have two windows open avoiding the need for a dual display set-up for a tutorial.

Regardless of your monitor, however, I concur with the comments on calibration . . . I use a ColorVision Spyder2 and the results are great.

Hope this helps . . . keep us posted on your decision.
03-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i find it strange that people who spend lots of money on a dslr camera are still clunking along with things like 17 inch crt monitors..

and folks who pixel peep and make image quality comments whilst viewing their images on laptops puzzle me even more..

i have one 19 inch and one 17 inch crt monitor cluttering up my spare room and have just given another 19 inch one away..

trog

ps.. a widesceen lcd fits the older film format image ratio rather nicely when seen full screen.. a none widescreen fits the more square compact images better thow..

Last edited by trog100; 03-31-2007 at 07:06 AM.
03-31-2007, 07:07 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote

.................i have one 19 inch and one 17 inch crt monitor cluttering up my spare room and have just given another 19 inch one away..

trog
And I have a mate who makes a substantial living in matters of visual imaging and who buys himself a matched pair of monster CRT's every couple of years.
He won't have a bar of LCD's

03-31-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I used to run dual 21" IBM Trinitrons (CRT) then I noticed that my desk was bowing in the middle. I have since upgraded to two Dell 2007WFPs, the drop off in color rendition is not noticeable, the monitors are excellent and there is no more bow in my desk. They can be had for $400 shipped if you keep your eyes open.
03-31-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
And I have a mate who makes a substantial living in matters of visual imaging and who buys himself a matched pair of monster CRT's every couple of years.
He won't have a bar of LCD's
not exactly comparable to someone who at present is useing a 17 inch crt thow is it..

i wouldnt argue the quality of a thousand lbs worth of high quality crt monitors sat on your desk if u have the space.. can afford the electricity bill and really feel the need.. but for normal usage they pretty much belong in the ark along with noah..

how a film format full frame image fits on a widescreen lcd..

how a "compact" (FZ20) image fits for comarison..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 03-31-2007 at 07:40 AM.
03-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i find it strange that people who spend lots of money on a dslr camera are still clunking along with things like 17 inch crt monitors..
The average CRT (esp. flat screen models) have a far better picture than LCDs.
03-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #11

.. but for normal usage they pretty much belong in the ark along with noah..
trog
All depends on one's particular version of "normality", I guess
03-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

crt technology is dead.. now they are pretty much being given away.. soon they will be pretty much unobtainable.. the world moves on..

i used to believe the old crt image quality is better stuff.. i no longer do.. also a desktop lcd is way better than a laptop lcd..

trog

ps.. this kind of arguement belongs back in the film verses digital days..

Last edited by trog100; 03-31-2007 at 07:51 AM.
03-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Got a true 8-bit LCD panel with 16.7M of colours and use DVI for direct digital transmission. If available, get a model which supports the sRGB mode (or even AdobeRGB if needed). Beware of 6-bit monitors/panels which rated at 16.2M colours which are produced by dithering and both resolution and colour accuracy will be decreased.

Everything should be very accurate, much accurate than any non-professionally calibrated CRT or LCD, for such an economical consumer setup I've mentioned above. :-) And, you will get a very sharp displayed image with per pixel sharpness/resolution without any loss, too (by using the DVI).

I highly recommend to get EIZO monitor as their consumer grade mons are the only monitors with true professional quality that I have seen and used, especially for colour and tone accuracy. Although their prices are still high, they do worth!
16.2 million colors? my 19" crt has 32 bit colors....billions. yes, the eye can see that many colors.

where the LCD falls short is the detail in the shadows. it just can't produce the amount of details in the dark areas.... they just render black. It is a limitation of the technology.
Yes, a LCD does have sharp images. but the reason they are sharper is because the LCD has more contrast then a crt. remember how photoshop sharpens images? it increases the contrast of the edges to make the image apear to be sharper. The LCD does the exact same thing. it renders more contrast, thus giving the perception that the image is sharper (just look at a typical LCD contrast ratio and you can see how much higher the contrast is over a crt)

as far as not needing to calibrate because you are using digial input connection, that doesn't change the fact that without calibration, a monitor colors will not render true, LCD or CRT, professional or non professional.
unless a monitor is individually calibrated at the factory (I can think of any that would spend the extra cost to do this to every monitor sold) calibration is a MUST if you want control over printing etc.
the other good thing about calibration is, when I put up a photo to the internet, when people with a calibrated monitor view it, they see EXACTLY the colors I want them to see.

food for thought

cheers

randy
03-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
"the other good thing about calibration is, when I put up a photo to the internet, when people with a calibrated monitor view it, they see EXACTLY the colors I want them to see."
nice line of thought slipchuck.. but one thing i have always wondered is exactly how other people see colours.. how u present them might not be how others see them or in fact like to see them.. ???

too much food for thought i think..

trog
03-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
16.2 million colors? my 19" crt has 32 bit colors....billions. yes, the eye can see that many colors.
The number of colors is a function of the graphics card not the monitor. I am running 32bit color on my ViewSonic LCD monitor . . . btw, I am also running 1680x1050 . . . again, function of the graphics card, not the monitor.

Further, the human eye can "only see" about 16million colors . . . the difference is in the ability of the sensor or graphics card to process gradations due to the higher bit rate.

Bottom-line is, monitor preference, like so many other photographic products, is a matter of personal perception . . . go with what you think looks good.