Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What would you bring to Disney?

So as an offshoot to my other thread relative to camcorders....

Family is going to Disney in a couple months, so I am beginning to plan things out (Partly because I will be traveling a lot for work between now and then, so I need to be ahead of the curve)

The bag I am likely to bring, will either be a LowePro Slingshot 200 or the LowePro Inverse. I think the Slingshot could actually be easier to carry around if I need it on my back (I cannot bank on having a spot for it on either of the 2 strollers). However I think I like the Inverse more, though since I have not traveled a lot with the camera the past 6 months, I am indifferent on it, so perhaps I will have to do a bit of playing around again to make sure I bring the right one.

The other catch is (and what could drive the bag decision) is what is going to be in it.

1-The K10D
2-Some lenses, TBD, see later
3-2xOlympus Point and shoots
4-One flip video camcorder

I will end up stuffing any and all chargers for the cameras in luggage.

Lense-wise, I am thinking of a 2 or 3 lens set up. 10-20, 16-45 and either the 50-135 or 50-300. If the TC from Pentax is out (i dont think it will be) I'd be tempted to to the 50-135 plus TC.
I could sneak the 40mm in, it's small, but it's also not multipurpose enough, so I think if I had it on camera, I'd end up too often wishing I'd had another lens on it (not enough reach, or needing to zoom out and can't). I have the 50 but never use it, and the fisheye lens, while a favorite of mine, would barely if ever make it on the camera.

However, the other option would be a smaller bag than either previously mentioned, and renting the 18-250 and having an all-in-one solution for the trip. I have used the 18-250 sparingly in the past, I didn't dislike anything about it, but didn't have enough use with it to really want to keep it either.

thoughts?

Also, throwing it out there, I am likely not bringing any of my flashes, nor will I plan on bringing a tripod or monopod. Too much bulk in packing, and given the nature of the trip and the shots, I think they would be overkill

02-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

When we went to Disney a couple of years ago, I went light.

Took the DS, 21ltd and the 50/1.7. Tucked them all in a small waist bag.
The day we went to Animal Kingdom, I took something with a bit more length (I think it was the 50-200).

It allowed me to have fun with the family, and get a few shots. For me, disney wasn't so much a photography outing, as it was a family fun time.

For a while after that, I was seriously considering the 40ltd, just for similar events.

my $0.02
02-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats what i am keeping in the back of my head---im not going there looking to pull an ansel adams. these will be family memories, and if i happen to get a really good shot artistically as well, its a bonus, not a mission.

and the 50-300, i had animal kingdom and seaworld in mind. I could see leaving it in the hotel for most other parks.

why do I feel another bag purchase coming on LOL.
02-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take your 16-45mm, 40mm ltd, and your 55-300mm and don't worry about it.

Edited: Realized you didn't have the 35mm ltd.

02-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
im assuming by 35 you mean 40 (wasn't looking to buy a new lens
02-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My wife shakes her head at all the camera bags I have....
02-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i only have 3 large ones...the 2 lowepros, and a tenba. I wish I could off the tenba, as it just sits at home storing miscellaneous stuff. I traveled with it once, and that was it. Its just not a good bag for NYC.

But, considering all the handbags she has......I am safe LOL.

02-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

if you are looking to only take a few lens I would say the 10-20,the 40 and the 50-135 will cover most of the shooting you will do. The last trip I took I basically used my 17-70 it covered most ranges of focal lengths i shoot. Here is a link to a thread by Groucho here on anothersite its his journal regarding his last trip.
WDW time again... trip over, new day 1-4 photos posted - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

Lots of pages to it and lots of pictures in it
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've taken my Grandson and family to the Magic Kingdom 4 times. First time I packed several lens and a 2nd. body. By the 3rd. day I swear it weighted a 100 lbs :-))
Ever since it's a Super Zoom on one body plus a mono pod for night shots. Travel lite and you'll enjoy the visit more.
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats kinda my thinking, whicch is why i am/.was debating the 18-250 to really keep things light.

planned on leaving the monopod home, as i hardly ever used it and can't imagine too many uses for it or chances to make an excuse to use it

helps that the one olympus point and shoot has a very impressive night mode
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've been to both Disneyland and Seaworld several times. It's nice to have a wide angle lens, since you typically want some context, i.e. "here's my family in front of the castle" etc. I got by nicely with just the kit lens, but I can imagine a 10-20 would let you do some really cool creative shots. There really isn't much that requires a telephoto lens there, I brought a 100-300mm lens once, and the only thing it was good for was "spying" on people on the pirate ship
I wouldn't count on getting much time to spend on lens changes, the kids will be all over the place!
You should definitely bring the fast fifty, though, I assume you'll spend the entire day there, and it will be very useful towards the evening. I got this shot at f/2.8, 1/45s and ISO 400:

The next one is not exactly a great shot, but it was at f/1.4, 1/30s, ISO400, so I include it to demonstrate the lighting conditions. I don't like going above ISO400 on the K10D, but if you don't mind some noise, or are more confident in your hand-holding ability, I guess you could get away with the 40mm at f/2.8. Note: That's not my family in the front there, they were just in the way

For Seaworld, though, I would definitely bring a telephoto. You can get some awesome close-ups of the killer whales and dolphins. The 50-135 might come in handy:

02-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the telephoto side of things, thats my bigger question. i love the 50-135. im itching to use the 55-300. But do I really want to bring both....

I figure the 40mm or 16-45 might be on the body most, but on the flip side, i could see it being the longer lenses if im trying to snap the kids on the rides and things like that.
02-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
When we went to Disney a couple of years ago, I went light.

Took the DS, 21ltd and the 50/1.7. Tucked them all in a small waist bag.
The day we went to Animal Kingdom, I took something with a bit more length (I think it was the 50-200).

It allowed me to have fun with the family, and get a few shots. For me, disney wasn't so much a photography outing, as it was a family fun time.

For a while after that, I was seriously considering the 40ltd, just for similar events.

my $0.02
I agree - I've been to Disney a couple of times. In my film days I brought a couple of bodies and 4 lenses. Left 'em all in the hotel room most of the time. The second time I left cameras at home. I'd go with the absolute minimum - body plus a lens or two if you plan on dragging a bag around all day long.

Jer
02-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, I've never been to Dizney and I don't have kids so what the heck do I know... but here is my 2 cents...

Keep it light!

A body, 16-45mm, 55-300mm, a flash, a compact bag like the Slingshot-100.

Remember... this a trip to an attraction with kids, not a safari with sherpas. With the kids chances are you'll have to carry a load of other stuff (and occasionally tired kids).

Also how often do you think you'll want to change lenses in the middle of huge crowds, while chasing your kids around...

Generally when I go to Scout camps or activities with my troop, I'll only have 1 body, my 17-50, my 55-300 and a flash. Everything else stays home.

Pat
02-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Keep it light!

A body, 16-45mm, 55-300mm, a flash, a compact bag like the Slingshot-100.

Pat
Great advice from Pat. I've never been to Disney - never will either - but I have carried too much gear on many an all-day outing. Trust me, a sling bag is not suited for lots of lenses, accessories, PnSx2, video cam, a body and grip - over one shoulder - for a whole day.

Take one good zoom lens, one wide prime OR a good wide zoom, TAKE THE FLASH instead of the third lens; fit the other stuff into corners or external pouches..

Consider a small backpack such as the FastPack 200 and add a Sliplock pouch to a connector for the snowball video camera.

Lowepro - Fastpack 200