Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Saved by the filter

This is the third time I've had a lens saved from the postal gorillas by a filter. It had a lens cap. But the filter saved the lens glass from the impact.
And yes it was wrapped in good bubble wrap.
They must have been playing basketball with the box.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 05-06-2012 at 06:10 AM.
02-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Woah... Were you buying the lens or shipping it to yourself at another location? Lucky that filter was there - expecially since that looks like an F lens and the filter ring would certainly have broken if it hadn't been reinforced.

I recently broke the glass out of a filter to use the ring to gaurd the front of my F50/1.7, and I must say, it took a surprising amount of force to shatter the glass (using a screwdriver as a chisel, and striking it with a hammer - it took a hit like driving a framing nail before it finally shattered).

Have you shot with the lens yet to see if any misalignment occured as a result of the blow?
02-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I received the lens as a purchase. Yep, took the filter off and took about 50 shots at all settings. Everything seems fine.
You're right, it's a 24-50 F lens.
02-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, thats crazy! I hope you filed a grievance with the post office!

Pat

02-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've complained before. They then "lost" my mail for a week.
You don't want to make union mail carriers mad.
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
BPT
Veteran Member

It isnt just the regular post office, United Parcel Smashers (UPS) must have been very rough with my camera when shipped to get repaired, since when it was there they fixed damage to the body from an impact. When it left here it was bubble wrapped and with no damage
02-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

United Parcel Smashers...I love it!

02-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I've complained before. They then "lost" my mail for a week.
You don't want to make union mail carriers mad.
This happened twice to one of my neighbors. She complained, it was investigated, and the mail carrier was fired. BTW, the carrier was a certified idiot as he delivered a couple of pieces of my mail to the street behind me -- same house number (6320), but my street starts with "A", and the street behind starts with "C". Not even close.
02-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The last written complaint caused me a lot of problems.
So I just ask that my purchases be packed earthquake proof. As shown, even that is not enough.
But I have to buy online.
02-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's just not good enough! Surely, if the mail handlers are going to 'penalise' you for complaining there's a regulatory body above them that you can speak to. Damage to equipment like that seems way outta line to my eyes.
02-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ouch!!! I must remember to request a filter on all ordered lenses in the future.
02-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yep, Postmaster General. Worthless as teats on a boar. They just kick it down to the local PO. And that goes nowhere.
It's just a fact of life here. People have had packages left in driveways, rubberbanded to the outside of mailboxes, and thrown in the snow. Of course UPS is not much better.

I had one lens left in the rain. It had biodegradeable peanuts in the box. Luckily I had requested my usual ziplock bag for the lens. It looked like a solid mass of melted marshmellows.
02-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Our business shipped a wood and glass case to a customer across country via UPS. He called us after it was delivered and told us it was broken. I asked how bad it was and where it was broken. He just said, "Well, there are tire tracks all over the box".....

He sent pictures. I really don't know how the UPS delivery person could even deliver it with a good conscience. Geez! I mean really? What did they expect the recipient to say? Oh, looks good to me. Glad it's here safe???? I don't even know how he grabbed the box! There was nothing left of it!

Needless to say, UPS paid the claim.
02-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

'GobsMacKeD!!!!!'

That's amazing nav. It's even more perplexing to me (in Australia) that I'm currently involved in a discussion, in another forum, about privatising all emergency services (in America) cause a fella doesn't want to pay taxes to the government any more.

Yes let's privatise everything. It's worked so well up till now (both here and there)
02-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
'GobsMacKeD!!!!!'

That's amazing nav. It's even more perplexing to me (in Australia) that I'm currently involved in a discussion, in another forum, about privatising all emergency services (in America) cause a fella doesn't want to pay taxes to the government any more.

Yes let's privatise everything. It's worked so well up till now (both here and there)
Actually, for me anyhow, incidents like this are pretty rare. I have about 4 times the claims from our "government-run" post office as I do from UPS or FedEx, which is why we use UPS most of the time. And I can track the package the whole time it's enroute. The post office just tells you that "it's a valid shipment" or "it's delivered"...sometimes.

And as far as private EMS...hey! I used to be one of them!

Actually, most of the time when things like this are privatized, in reality it's a mixture of private and government. You have a private company that is set up as the "provider" that has no competition. It's not truly private...just a government-sponsored "monopoly". It's no better or different than just having it government-run.