Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cork vs. Screw

This post is influenced by an off-the-cuff comment in a thread I saw recently...

Am I the only one left who absolutely, positively won't buy a wine with a screw-top cap? Am I the only one left with a nostalgia about pulling a cork out of a bottle? Am I the only one willing to sacrifice consistency for the sake of ambience?

Granted, I own exactly one zoom lens...and 43 primes...

10-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
This post is influenced by an off-the-cuff comment in a thread I saw recently...

Am I the only one left who absolutely, positively won't buy a wine with a screw-top cap? Am I the only one left with a nostalgia about pulling a cork out of a bottle? Am I the only one willing to sacrifice consistency for the sake of ambience?

I don't even drink wine, but if I did I would steer clear of a screw on top. Its like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.
10-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Corkscrew

You may be. From time to time, I'll buy wine with a screw cap, but I also insist on only using a corkscrew that no-one else can figure out how to use. It works for me (placing the bottle on the floor and pulling up), but more importantly, it once belonged to my grandfather.
10-25-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Sean,
I don't drink wine with either a screw top or cork. My wife buys it in a box (Good Lord) Really the fact is there are very few times in my recent life I will have a beer. When I did buy wine It always had a cork and the cork screw always left cork floating in the wine. (that's nasty stuff to swallow) Nothing like a romantic dinner for two ending in the emergency room to have a piece of cork removed. In stead of In a more relaxed and passionate place.

The last time I had screw top wine Was back during The Agnes flood. I was down in the southern end of the county watching a covered bridge wash away (sitting on the bridge with a bottle of Boons Farm Straberry Hill) Very drunk and wet with a girl friend as she got motionsick from the bridge turning.

Nope no more wine for me. Just not good luck.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David

PS: We really did miss you at Gettysburg But If you check out Mark and his horse after lunch I think you may be glad.

10-25-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi, I'm from the biggest wine producer italian province and here we drink only wine in corked bottles: this left the wine "breath" and so it could evolve in time. Screwed bottles are not very diffuse in Italy and normally are used for low quality wine.
Even the beers like the trappist ones or some ales are corked for the same motive.
My 2 cents.
10-25-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Question?

Recently I've noticed a trend towards non-cork corks.

Many of the wines I enjoy have switched over to an artificial cork- some sort of rubbery material.

Is this widespread or only in Canada?
10-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd have to vote for the cork over the screw top.

I've seen some of those non-cork corks that you're talking about Tom, so they are in the US also.

10-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
You may be. From time to time, I'll buy wine with a screw cap, but I also insist on only using a corkscrew that no-one else can figure out how to use. It works for me (placing the bottle on the floor and pulling up), but more importantly, it once belonged to my grandfather.
I had one of those...but I broke it one night. I love my current corkscrew, which performs wonderfully.
10-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Sean,
(snip) When I did buy wine It always had a cork and the cork screw always left cork floating in the wine. (that's nasty stuff to swallow) Nothing like a romantic dinner for two ending in the emergency room to have a piece of cork removed. In stead of In a more relaxed and passionate place.
Now, come on! If I blamed my own sober uncoordination on my inability to hook up, this thread would be endless!!

I would blame yours on user error and just pass on...
10-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ercole69 Quote
Hi, I'm from the biggest wine producer italian province and here we drink only wine in corked bottles: this left the wine "breath" and so it could evolve in time. Screwed bottles are not very diffuse in Italy and normally are used for low quality wine.
Even the beers like the trappist ones or some ales are corked for the same motive.
My 2 cents.
Well, my favorite wines (and cheeses) happen to be Italian, and I can't ever see buying a great Barolo with a screw top!

I like those Trappist ales, too!
10-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Recently I've noticed a trend towards non-cork corks.

Many of the wines I enjoy have switched over to an artificial cork- some sort of rubbery material.

Is this widespread or only in Canada?
I've seen those as well. They're crap, too. Who wants to pull a recycled tire out of the bottle they're about to pair with a $40 filet?!?!

Not me.
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the vote of sanity...

I know I'm not going to convince everyone to walk around with 7 Takumar screw mount prime lenses...but I'm glad that it looks like some people understand my love of cork.
10-26-2006, 04:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Cork being organic is very expensive. There is da cheap and the not so cheap. Those that come apart on you are the cheapest cork you'll find but tiny specks in your glass of wine ain't gonna hurt you. Actually it might help your digestion.

The plastic derivatives or screw-type or even the cardboard containers are used for mass produced cheap stuff (no offence) with all kinds of additives used as house wine or for cooking by the uninitiated. I sound like an expert don't I!!!

Wines capable of aging will always have the natural cork so that it will be able to breathe whilst in the bottle - if it doesn't breathe you won't be able to use, not even for vinegar. Hence also one of the reasons wood is used for aging wine. There are other reasons, like acquiring the flavour of the wood.

Wine - La cryma vitis
10-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
those screw tops when they first appeared. To reseal half-finished bottles. But that hasn't happened yet...
What is this 'half-finished bottle' thing to which you refer?
10-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Now, come on! If I blamed my own sober uncoordination on my inability to hook up, this thread would be endless!!

I would blame yours on user error and just pass on...
Ok, Ok, Your right it was user error I used a pocket knife to open it and she was already to the point of not needing any help. God one little cork and not being of sound mind and in no shape to enjoy either wine or girl . What can I say.
In all reality Sean I do agree with you.

Good shooting (or should I say drinking).
Cheers: David