Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using old Minolta glass

A guy I work with and I were talking about cameras and he asked if there was a digital body he could get to use some old manual Minolta lenses he had. He is a manual user - had to with an old Minolta 201, so that is not an issue. He would like to get back into photography.

Does anyone know much about old Minolta to new hardware or where I may find some info? A quick search here at work revealed what looks like sketchy ability to put the old manual glass on new hardware - may work thru a menu setting change to fire without a lens. Also, I have seen some pages that talk about using a 4/3 or a G1. However that comes up with a whole ball of wax with image degradation.

I asked him to bring me some part numbers and such, as this was just casual conversation. I asked if he really wanted to use the old stuff, or if he was more intereseted in getting back into photography. He said, not sure, depends on cost (which I can understand). It may be a wash either way, as you may have to mod lenses and find adapters and such.

Just wonderred if any of the gurus here may know something about Minolta hardware and may be able to help. If it proves too complex, I may just suggest a new setup.

02-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Forum Member

I think Sony owns Minolta now. I have no idea about compatibility issues. I think the Minolta lenses fit and work with Sony bodies, but I am not sure. Some of the other guys here may know more about it.
02-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
From my quick google, the old manual glass _may_ be compatible. the AF glass seems to be ok. He has manual glass.
02-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
minolta AF lenses have a register distance of 44.6mm and MF lenses have a register distance of 43.72 +0.01 -0.02mm

pentax of course, use a register distance of 45.46mm, which means that any adaption to pentax will probably result in loss of infinity focus. unless you can remove 2 mm of shims under the mount when you replace the mount.

for replacing the mount, using a flanged M42 to K mount adaptor drilled to accept the minolta lens